PDA

View Full Version : Caterpillar MTL's

UNISCAPER
12-27-2004, 10:15 AM
After taking the Cat MTL training school, it was instructed for us to set track tensions at 1/2". we did this using a 100# weight in the center top of the track, and placing a straight edge on the front roller and drive sprocket, then measuring the distance. We began to get a slight popping in our track, a sign that perhaps the tracks are too loose. I called the service manager of our dealer, who left his office that afternoon to check the machine out.

We determined that the tracks should really be set with 1/4" gap instead of 1/2". The popping stopped. Has anyone who has taken MTL school had this similar problem with thier machine? And, if you did, what did you do to correct it?

Tigerotor77W
12-27-2004, 11:22 AM
I have no experience with actual track tension (other than reading "Adjusting track tension on our machines is easy! Simply..." about a dozen times each year), but I did find a link that makes no sense to me yet. If I get some time to pore over it, I'll post what I can discern... if I can't make anything of it or don't have the time, I won't write anything.

http://www.me.vt.edu/AVDL/journal_publications/2002%20ICSTVS%20-%20Connectivity%20Algorithm%20and%20Track