PDA

View Full Version : new to biz

Commonwealth LC
12-27-2004, 03:55 PM
I have just got my business licenses for lawn care a few weeks ago. ive been doing some research for as much info as i can before i start work in march/april. what kinds of information should i be looking for? i know how to cut grass, weed eat, and blow, ive been doing these things to my yard and friends yards for years. does anyone have any suggestions for books or webpages for basic information?

Carolina Cutter
12-27-2004, 04:40 PM
I have just got my business licenses for lawn care a few weeks ago. ive been doing some research for as much info as i can before i start work in march/april. what kinds of information should i be looking for? i know how to cut grass, weed eat, and blow, ive been doing these things to my yard and friends yards for years. does anyone have any suggestions for books or webpages for basic information?

Ok here we go.........hold on tight........

First........congratulations for deciding to take the first step to happiness.

Second.......You are starting out right by doing reasearch....I have been in business for 6 years and I research every single day.

Third.......There is work that you can do before March......spring cleanup is a good one.....I ususally start around Feb.

Fourth.......You "know how to cut grass"...I thought this too. But as you will learn you must learn how to cut grass for money. In other words you will learn tricks of the trade that will help you to be faster and do a better job than you ever have before. This is a must!

And lastly........you have found one of the best sources for knowledge that you are going to find. There is a wealth of information and experience here that will help you on your road to success. READ READ READ and then.....READ some more. Most people think that this business is "just cutting the grass" but there is soooo muc more to it.

The most important things to remember is to promote a professional appearence, carry insurance, PAY YOUR TAXES, and ALWAYS do what you say you will do. If you do quality work..........you will have more work than you can handle!

payup

out4now
12-27-2004, 04:48 PM
Welcome to the best source of info you'll find on the web. :waving: There are a lot of good books out there, can find on ebay lots of times but the best info is the business info that you can't find in a book, like how to deal with non-paying customers, pricing, estimating, where to find stuff, you made a good desciion starting here. There is a special forum called Just starting that will have a ton of info for you. Think of stuff you specifically want to know about and in the green bar up top there is a search tool that can find related threads for you. Also you can just browse around through the site and lots of info will be discovered. Feel free to ask questions as they come up too. Enjoy!

Commonwealth LC
12-27-2004, 05:17 PM
I really appreciate the replies and welcoming. I will do much research on this site. I will try to find everything myself, but in the case that what im looking for is not in the forum, I will ask. Just wanted to add that I just started advertising by word of mouth only (going to do more advertising in the future) and have had 2 people that were really interested! Its great! I look forward to learning from everyone, and hopefully becoming skilled enough to share information. Thanks, -Josh

Commonwealth LC
12-28-2004, 11:18 AM
Just wanted to thank you guys for the help, ive been reading my ass off and have learned a heck of a lot more here than from books and other sites... GREAT SITE!!! Will continue reading for as long as it takes and then some! again, thanks guys

Tn Lawn Man
12-28-2004, 12:03 PM
I would hit the library and read as much as you can about the business, from pricing to services to types of grass etc...

Next.....use the search feature on this site and learn learn learn....great site.

Lastly, start part time. There is a HUGE difference from doing your lawn once a week and cutting for 8 to 10 hours a day, every day, during June July and August.

Good Luck

Ol'time Lawncare
12-28-2004, 12:23 PM
you will find everything you need to know about the lawn industry right here on Lawnsite.com! this is the key to your success.

coastallandscapesolutions
12-28-2004, 12:32 PM
This site is an AWESOME source of information, the best on the web. You will also want to subscribe to the industry magazines too. Their free and each has a website that you can request a subscription. Start here:

www.lawnandlandscape.com

Also get:

Landscape Management

Pro Magazine

Turf & Irrigation

That is just a couple and they are all free.

Welcome to the business!

Soupy
12-28-2004, 01:59 PM
have you found the "just starting in business" forum"? http://lawnsite.com/forumdisplay.php?f=58

Good Luck.....

mowboy1
12-28-2004, 08:56 PM
Congrats on starting your own business! I hope it's everything you hope it is.

You get great support here... as you have already seen. Supplement your forum reading with business books. There is a thread going now that mentions quite a few excellent ones.

http://www.lawnsite.com/showthread.php?t=91525

Good luck!

hockeygoalie
12-29-2004, 12:39 PM
Commonwealth give me a mail. I live closeby.
Hockygole@aol.com

bobbygedd
12-29-2004, 02:48 PM
welcome to paradise. there are bees, excessive heat, freezing cold, wet high grass, sunstroke,snakes, vicious dogs, and poison ivy. these are the good things, when i have more time, i'll tell you about the bad things.