PDA

View Full Version : Anyone have a Deere GS 30?

Hadly
12-27-2004, 05:31 PM
I have found an 2002 GS 30 for sale but I am wondering are they decent mowers. It has 13 hp Kohler with a 36 inch cut. Any feedback will be appreciated.

TClawn
12-27-2004, 06:34 PM
I don't own one, but they look like a very solid machine IMO.

fairwayCuts
12-27-2004, 09:22 PM
I bought a gs30 in june and it's been a good piece of equipment. It's my first commercial mower, so I don't have a whole lot of experience, but it does leave a nice cut. There are a few things about it that I don't like though. First, it's way to difficult to switch from a mowing height of say 2.5" to 3.5". You've got to un bolt the mower deck from the frame and re-mount it, a real pain! Also, I've mowed in some wet conditions, and with the mulching kit attached it did a really poor job. You could hardly go 2 strips without it clogging, it will do that with side discharge a little to. Now granted, I've only been in the bus this year, so it could be my fault or just the conditions? Anyway, If I had to buy a mower over again, I'd have to say I wouldn't buy the gs30. But it has been very reliable, and a good starter mower.

terryzrx1200
12-27-2004, 10:57 PM
Had mine for a year also. got it used for $900. Starts with one or two pulls every time, gives a good cut, and if I had to buy another it would be a Deere. Terry

GLS
12-28-2004, 12:25 AM
We have had ours for 2 seasons now. It is a very tough mower. I think it leaves a great cut too. I agree that it can be a pain to change cutting height, but all fixed decks are. We usually stick to one cutting height.

Here are a couple of pictures.

This was taken this past spring. Discharged, double cut. We will probably be trying a mulching kit next season.

GLS
12-28-2004, 12:26 AM
Here's one more. Same yard, taken later in the year. Stripes could be enhanced with a striping kit, but it's good enough for me stock.

MacPhersonlawn
12-28-2004, 02:12 PM
I purchased a used GS 30 in the spring of 04. It was 4 years old and cost me $1,700. It had very few hrs on it. Used by a little old lady who had wanted a heavy duty mower for her lawn. She took very good care of it. It got too hard for her to use the pull starter so she traded it in. It is a very tough machine, built like a tank! It always starts on the 1st or 2nd pull and gives a very good cut. It is also useless if you want to back up.