PDA

View Full Version : How Can I increase the efficeincy of my service.

Mr. C
12-27-2004, 05:03 PM
Can anyone give me any tips or ideas for for increasing efficeincy for my maintenace service?

brentsawyer
12-27-2004, 05:24 PM
Pretty hard to suggest ways to improve something when no one knows what they are dealing with. Tell us as much as you can about your service, ie; equipment, type of accounts, employees, etc. As with life, the more thought and work you put into something, the more you'll get back.

Richard Martin
12-27-2004, 05:36 PM
Some of the things I do are:

1: Minimize your route:
My entire service area is under 5 miles from my house. I don't spend a whole lot of time driving between jobs this way.

2: Use the biggest mower you can get on a piece of property:
A lot of people will tell you that you should be using a 36" or 48" mower on properties under 1/4 acre. That's BS. I use my 60" mower on every property unless it will scalp because of a drainage ditch or it won't fit through the gate. I get 0 (zero) complaints and I have excellant customer retention.

3: Never schedule work for Saturday and/or Sunday:
I only schedule work for Monday through Friday. Saturday is a make-up day if necessary. In 10 years I've only worked on maybe 5 Saturdays. Most Saturdays are used for equipment maintenace. I take Sundays off from the business completely.

If you take at least one day off a week just to lay around or spend with the family the working days aren't so hard to deal with.

4: Buy the best equipment you can afford:
I buy nothing but what I consider to be the best equipment there is. I am a firm believer in "You get what you pay for". If you buy a $200 trimmer you will get just that. A $200 trimmer that will last a season or 2 at most. If you buy a 5 or 6 thousand dollar ZTR (regardless of make) you will get just that. A mower that won't hold up in the long run.

Work less, earn more.

rodfather
12-27-2004, 05:40 PM

1: Minimize your route:
My entire service area is under 5 miles from my house. I don't spend a whole lot of time driving between jobs this way.

A lot of people will tell you that you should be using a 36" or 48" mower on properties under 1/4 acre. That's BS. I use my 60" mower on every property unless it will scalp because of a drainage ditch or it won't fit through the gate. I get 0 (zero) complaints and I have excellant customer retention.

3: Never schedule work for Saturday and/or Sunday:
I only schedule work for Monday through Friday. Saturday is a make-up day if necessary. In 10 years I've only worked on maybe 5 Saturdays. Most Saturdays are used for equipment maintenace. I take Sundays off from the business completely.

If you take at least one day off a week just to lay around or spend with the family the working days aren't so hard to deal with.

4: Buy the best equipment you can afford:
I buy nothing but what I consider to be the best equipment there is. I am a firm believer in "You get what you pay for". If you buy a $200 trimmer you will get just that. A $200 trimmer that will last a season or 2 at most. If you buy a 5 or 6 thousand dollar ZTR (regardless of make) you will get just that. A mower that won't hold up in the long run.

Work less, earn more.

An excellent reply RM. I'll add one more. Surround yourself with reliable employees.

Lawnworks
12-27-2004, 05:54 PM

You might be hitting a nerve here. I don't know if it is "politically correct" using a huge mower on a small yard. I also use my 60" chopper even if the yard is a postage stamp. I never have complaints.

work_it
12-27-2004, 06:01 PM
1) Pack a lunch the night before so you don't have to stop to eat.
2) Refuel at the end of every day
3) Do all your equipment checks at the end of each day so you don't have any suprises when you get to your first property, and can make a run for any necessary replacement parts first thing in the morning.
4) Carry something in the truck to urinate in.
5) Make sure you have the proper tools in your truck to make on the spot repairs as well as extra belts, blades, hoses, tire plugs, grease, 2 or 3 ton jack, etc...

coastallandscapesolutions
12-27-2004, 07:22 PM
One more thing and this has always been my pet peeve. When you pick up a tools from the truck to walk over and do a job, say it is a trash bag, grab more then one. If you get over there and use the one you brought and then need another one you just made an extra trip to the truck that you shouldn't of made. It is a waist of time and I see a lot of people making a lot of trips to the truck. Get what you need the first trip and do the job. My employees will tell you how anal I am with this. To me it is just common sense....

Flex-Deck
12-27-2004, 08:17 PM
Can anyone give me any tips or ideas for for increasing efficeincy for my maintenace service?

Got to increase the efficiency of your present machines, as well as the ideas posted above.

smlavin
12-27-2004, 08:17 PM
Check out this thread.

"Time Saving Tips"
http://www.lawnsite.com/showthread.php?t=8229

It's been dormant for about a year so I just bumped it back up to the top. Still has a lot of good info in here (and some not so good gasoline transport ideas!)

Happy reading and hope this helps.