PDA

View Full Version : Porking up with slow winters

guntruck
01-26-2001, 06:26 AM
Ok, lets be honest about this one, how many of you guys pork up and put the winter coat on? When spring hits you gotta shed some pounds. I am just curious, this will be my first aggressive year and im hoping to drop some pounds......lol. Lets be HONEST PORKERS.

HOMER
01-26-2001, 06:33 AM
I've put on 15 lbs. at least since the end of October. I'm still no perker, that gets me to 175. I'm going to try to hit 180 cause I've never seen it. It all comes right back off in the spring. I got the best diet going and I tell people that if they want to lose weight all they need to do is show up.

Think I'll call it the "HOMER DIET", maybe I can sell a million copies of my new diet book.

geogunn
01-26-2001, 06:45 AM
seriously, I lay in about 20 pounds in the winter. I eat a high calorie diet during the mowing season for energy purposes and when the mowing dies out...I'm still hungry!

with spring clean ups I hope my weight will begin to drop.;)

GEO

TJLC
01-26-2001, 08:30 AM
I'm with you guys. Summer weight:160, Winter weight: 175. I also get very unmotivated during witer. I'm ready for the season. My wife jokes with me about it.

Charles
01-26-2001, 08:35 AM
I gain around 10 pounds in the winter. Even though I cut down on eating and my sugar intake. By the first of may I am back in shape. But april is kinda ruff and by the end of the year I am worn out and dont feel like exercising in the winter.

TGCummings
01-26-2001, 09:14 AM
Oh yeah! I'm normally in the 175 range, but usually dip down to around 170 or less in the summer. In the winter, I'm up to 185 or more. This year hasn't been too bad since I've stayed active both on the job and around the house, but last winter I soared to an all-time 200+! We did some heavy holiday celebrating and factored in a good deal of laziness for that long, cold winter and I ballooned like mad. It's the main reason I didn't buy a rider or even a sulky with my mower upgrade last year... :)

Like I said, I'm feeling much better this season... ;)

-TGC

Island Lawn
01-26-2001, 09:14 AM
This is my first winter in the bus. REAL SLOW!
I started @ 200lbs No fat! I was in real good shape after 7 months of being beaten like my ancestors by the worst boss in the history of worst bosses!!!
It was EASY for me to take the plunge into entreprenuership!
I started gaining weight the 1st day! Even through the 100 degree/humidity summer. I now weigh in @
235LBS!
Mostly CHOCOLATE from the holidays!
The season is already picking up for me. I've done a little sweating recently. I hope the winter coat comes off as quick as it came on!

linky
01-26-2001, 11:20 AM
This winter I gained about five pounds of fat and lost six pounds of hair. Hopefully this spring I will lose the fat and find a wig.

Green Finger
01-26-2001, 11:29 AM
I'm pushing 475lbs because of that forman grill, around April I'll be back to 185lbs. LOL

Do any of you guys got a thigh master? LOL

Guido
01-26-2001, 12:06 PM
I always put on about 20 lbs on over the winter months, last year was the first time I didn't cause I was stationed in Guam, and its summer year round so work didn't slow down. I'm back on track though, especially with the food over here in Europe!! Spring comes and I'll shed it all off though. It's just convincing my wife that its okay to leave it for the winter!!

dmk395
01-26-2001, 01:13 PM
Wow I guess I am like the small running backs running behind the Baltimore Ravens offensive line. During the summer I walk around at about 132, and now I am only 137. But then again when u are an amateur boxer and kickboxer for half your life, weight seems to stay off.

Davis TLC
01-26-2001, 01:15 PM
Picked up about 10 pounds over last year. Looking to lose it and a few more this season. It is hard to do when you love good home cooking. You know it is hard to turn your mom's or grandmother's cooking, the old country cooking kind. Fried chicken, country ham, mashed potatoes with gravy, biscuts with gravy, man I'm getting hungry just thinking about it.

With watching what we eat and how much me and the wife hope to get backdown to our youthful figures, (yeah, right) boy are we dreaming. But seriously, we plan to lose the weight that we have picked up in our middle age years and get back down to a healthier level. It just takes a little determination.

Sammy
01-26-2001, 02:24 PM
And as you get older, it is harder to shed !

Man Joe
01-26-2001, 06:52 PM
Gained 10 pounds over the winter. It will come off real fast in the springtime. I lift weights in my basement to keep in shape about twice a week. Do high reps in the winter to try to keep in shape and singles or partials on the power rack during warmer months because of the heat and being tired from long hours.

lawman
01-26-2001, 07:04 PM
I sure can not wait for summer so I can get out and realy lose this weight I have gained sitting around eating on every holiday.

CCLC
01-26-2001, 08:50 PM
I used to always gain 15-20 pounds in the winter and shed it pretty fast in the spring until.....I purchased ZTR's. After that it has stayed and I have even put a little more on.

guntruck
01-26-2001, 10:59 PM
From the sounds of this i think i'll sell my chariot and get another walk behind lol!!

eslawns
01-26-2001, 11:20 PM
I left active duty weighing in at 190, but had a 33" waist. Now my end of summer weight is 195, but long gone is the 33" waist. I think even my 36's are getting a little tight. :D

After reading this, I stepped on the scale and :eek: 213!!
Oh my god! I've turned into my father!!

Great. Thanks, that was just what I needed to help me over the winter blues. :( Can't wait to start mowing again!

Runner
01-27-2001, 03:59 PM
Well, it's just about time to start spring training again! The running, the powerlifting, the circuit training, and ALOT of stretching! I like to approach this just like a sport - much like baseball. It's nice to be prepared both mentally AND physically.

BUSHMASTER
01-31-2001, 04:26 PM
hey i am a porker and proud of it....
spring and summer wt around 165...

deep winter ......................210.
its takes me about 4 weeks to drop it and about the same to gain it yea i start putting it on at thanksgiving

i need this job for healh reasons if not for anything else

Keep the "dunn lap" disease away..........

you know when your belly dunn lapped over your belt...
theirs a other one called " peter dooo" you can figure this one out on your own...................he he
have a great season everyone!!!!!!!!!!!

Gtotoy
02-05-2001, 06:46 PM
I'm with you guys. Summer weight:180, Winter weight: 215. I also get very unmotivated during witer. My wife jokes with me about it.

moonarrow
02-05-2001, 08:39 PM
I got out of the tub the other day and put on a pair of shorts and walked into the kitchen, My Wife said oh that little belly is cute, I guess I have put on wait also, be glad when the mowing season starts back up so I can go back on my diet and be able to bend over and pick up something without moaning

VLM
02-05-2001, 11:13 PM
I'm new here, and I just want to say what a relief it is to find a forum where everyone has similar challenges and experiences. Reading these responses is like listening to a recording of myself. Summer weight 160 winter weight 170. I found I put on most of my winter weight during the holidays. There is sooo much food around Christmas and New Years. This year I gave away most of the "leftovers" from Christmas dinner and have been doing a lot of hiking. It seems to have worked, last yr. I put on 15 lbs.

Randy Scott
02-06-2001, 12:20 AM
If only I could have the drive and motivation to go to the club and workout as I do to rush home and sit in front of this computer and B.S with you guys!

guntruck
02-06-2001, 12:37 AM
This site is responsible for 10lbs of extra padding for me i know of!! But isnt it just great to come here and read read read!!! I LOVE IT!!!!!!!!!!!

russman
02-06-2001, 08:52 AM
The older you get the harder that weight comes of in the spring. I used to put on between 15 to 20 pounds each winter. The last few years I joined a Gym in the winter to help keep of the pounds. It works, also the muscles don't get real sore those first few weeks of the spring to the point where you can't move.

T-Bone
02-06-2001, 04:04 PM
Guntruck

This was a great Thread
Now it appears I have taken first place.What is the prize?
I have probable torqued on about 40 pounds. Eating is like lawn care to me if I can't do it right then I won't do it.
I firmly belive in the saying.

Once a job has begun never leave untill it's done
Large or small do it right or not at all.

Thats Ok I'll be in shape before the summer hits.