PDA

View Full Version : Trailer wiring connections

mtdman
12-27-2004, 11:58 PM
In the past, in the winter I've always hit my connectors with a liberal dose of dielectric grease, and covered them up tight. Fortunately my f150s have had connector covers. My new truck, however, has both a 4 pin connector and a 5 or 6 pin connector as well. The bigger one is a bigger connection, too much to cover with a little tube of grease. I worry about it corroding, and wonder what to put on this connector. I have been told that vasoline works to keep the pins from corroding as well.

Any thoughts?

THanks

:D

grass_cuttin_fool
12-28-2004, 06:48 AM
CRC works fairly well and leaves an oil coating on them, Maybe spray them each month, I dont think 1 spraying would last a winter. We used it on the Semi's at the shop I worked for. It was the best we found for winter corrosion and they were used daily but the salt and moisture gets in there any way

mtdman
12-28-2004, 03:21 PM
What is crc?

grass_cuttin_fool
12-28-2004, 03:51 PM
Hmmmmmm, Its kinda like w-d40 but instead of being a penetrating oil its designed more for lubrication and protection

mtdman
12-28-2004, 03:55 PM
Can it be found in auto parts places? Or where can I get it?

grass_cuttin_fool
12-28-2004, 03:58 PM
Yes around here in Va the local Napa, Carquest carries it, Probably some of the other auto parts should carry it. We always bought it in 1 gallon jugs and used a spray bottle, but it is sold in spray cans also

grass_cuttin_fool
12-28-2004, 04:09 PM
Here is a link http://www.crc.co.nz/frame_catalog.asp?id=2 this isnt exactly what we used unless they have changes the numbers on it but it is close

mtdman
12-28-2004, 04:26 PM
Thanks!

FERT-TEK
12-28-2004, 08:58 PM
I am not trying to hijack this post but if anyone knows which color on a five or six pin trailer connector is for the back-up lights on a 2004 Chevy Silverado please PM me. I want to tap into the trailer hitch wiring off of the vehicle to add some white driving lights to illuminate the ground behind the vehicle when backing up. I dont know which one is for the back-up lights. Someone told me to get a volt meter, put the transmission in reverse (motor off) and check which one is hot. Will this method work? I need to find a volt meter then. If someone has done this did you have any problems doing this, wire the right gauge blown fuses etc?