PDA

View Full Version : colored flyers or not???

cst51
01-26-2001, 08:58 AM
This spring I am going to distribute about 500-1000 flyers in the "nice" neighborhoods. I have already developed my flyer, I was just trying to decide if any of you who have done flyers in the past notice a better return on flyers that were color printed. I have decided (because of cost) that I will print my flyer on colored paper instead of making the flyer itself colored. Hope this makes sense.
Thanks-Cary

Greenkeepers
01-26-2001, 10:09 AM
Ray (Kirbys Lawn) did a post a little while back about using color flyers out of ms publisher. They were really nice and he was going to print them at home on his deskjet. We use colored paper for ours and make standard copies, although this year I think I'm going to do like Ray for some of the higher end customers.

Island Lawn
01-26-2001, 10:16 AM
My philosophy:
Quality, not quantity.

Strawbridge Lawn
01-26-2001, 11:36 AM
I am going with a combination of color and black and white this year. The Color flyers are front/back and will go to the neighborhoods I would really like to market due to proximity, size and so on. I printed out apprx 700 at home on a DJ 721C using Powerpoint (2 per 8.5X11 sheet). I also printed out 1100 smaller (3 per 8.5X11) which will also be distributed in the desirable area. Office Max made B/W copies and made the cuts also. Total Cost about 125.00 for about 2500 more than half of which are color. Hope they are effective.

JimLewis
01-26-2001, 12:56 PM
I think people using colored paper or color in their flyers are kidding themselves about it's effectiveness. I think professionalism is the key.

Being a homeowner in a nice neighborhood, I get a lot of flyers. From all sorts of service companies. First of all, I always take a brief look at the flyer. Everyone does. You are inately curious. When I look at it, the first thing I think of is; "Is this a service I am in the market for?" If not, I put no more thought into the flyer at all and I immediately throw it away.

If it is a service I am looking for, I begin reading it. I am then looking for clues as to what they do, how professional they appear, what their rates are, whether it's worth switching from using whoever I already use to check out this company, etc.

Now, If I got a cheesy flyer that makes the operation look rinky dink, I will probably throw it away. But color doesn't make that choice for me. The format of the document does. It has to look like it was done professionally, or close to.

Assuming my first impression of the format of the flyer is good, I continue on to the content of the flyer. They've obviously got my interest so I will read the entire flyer at this point. Then, I am making my decision now based on the content of the flyer.

I just don't imagine too many people thinking, "Oh, geez, this flyer is only in black and white.... how lame..... I am not interested." I don't think that happens. And as to the argument that color flyers just get more noticed, I disagree with that as well. When there's something on my door I am curious to what it says, no matter what color it is. I always notice it.

So I think people who spend all the extra dough to get color flyers are kidding themselves. If they are more effective, and I doubt it, they are only slightly more effective. I'll tell you what is effective though; laying flyers in the right neighborhood and laying a lot of flyers.

I disagree with the above post of quality over quantity. Don't get me wrong, I think it's important you have a quality flyer. But flyers, by there very nature, are a numbers game. The more you put out, the more business you get. I'd rather spend $40 for 2000 of my black and white flyers (I pay .02 each for them) than spend $40 for 500 color ones. The 2000 B will get me more business than the 500 color every single time.

That's my 2 cents.

If anyone's interested in seeing the B flyer we use, there is a [not to scale] sample of it here;
http://www.teleport.com/~jimlewis/flyer9.jpg

1MajorTom
01-26-2001, 01:42 PM
I do not believe it is necessary to print out flyers with
colored ink. If people are interested in a findng a lawn care company, they will read the flyer whether it
is in black and white ink, or colored ink.

The key is what you say on your flyers. A professional, well written flyer is going to get noticed more, than a flyer written poorly with colored ink.

Now, for brochures, I think that is different story. Brochures look much better in color. Of course with a brochure, I wouldn't just pass that out to anyone. I would save the brochure for when we were giving an estimate if we wanted to gain that account.

Black and white ink on a flyer is perfectly acceptable.

Jodi

beck
01-26-2001, 02:47 PM
The color copies at the local copy center run around a dollar a copy self-serve or $1.29 for them to run it.

Check all of the options. The higher the quantity the less expensive the price. Even though you may not distribute all 1000 flyers right now, is it something you can use in the future? If it is something that will be used for years to come check the prices for a printing press. the initial set-up cost is more but after that it is cheaper.

Be careful if you are running a few flyers per page. Check that they cut them properly.

You may think it is cheaper to run them off of the home computer but a small inkjet cartridge(black) runs me $35. and each sheet of paper(white) is $.01 so if doing a large quantity it is much cheaper to go to the copy center.

cst51
01-26-2001, 03:11 PM
I appreciate all your comments but have another question. I see an underlying theme with all of you (Mostly). That is you emphasize the content as being the most important!!! My flyer is very simple and wondered if you all could comment on it. It looks like this:
Spring is Coming
C&D Lawncare (Cary Hargis)
phone number

-Mowing
-Shrub Trimming
-Etc. *I won't list all of the services

{Picture in the middle of the page of a mower}

**Call BEFORE March 23rd. and receive a $10.00 early bird special off your first service of the year.

There is a few leaves to add to the effect but this is all I have in the flyer!!! As you can see it's quite simple and has cost me the unbelievable price of NOTHING because I make it myself. Do you think this is sufficient or do I need to add how "professional, qualified, dependable, and loyal I am. Do you think putting these extra qualities on a flyer will generate extra calls. I figure if I get a call I will tell them in person how dependable Iam. My appearance and how I go about speaking and estimating will show how professional I am. Suggesting references for them to call should give them an idea of how loyal I am.

Sorry for taking so much time~
Cary

JimLewis
01-26-2001, 03:51 PM
Cary,

What format are the flyers in on your computer? MS Publisher? MS Word? Can you send me a copy of the file via email? It's hard to say if that flyer is good or not without seeing the layout.

No, I don't think it's necessary to go on and on about how loyal, etc. you are. But it does help to highlight some of your strengths. I think bullets with your services are okay. But it looks a little more professional if you add a little more. Again, it's hard to say without seeing it.

Also, if you have MS Publisher, I can send you some examples of flyers we've used over the last few years.

lawman
01-26-2001, 07:27 PM
I have used bright color paper before. This really stands out when you look at them. Also use some type of jingle to keep the persons attention. Ie "spring has sprong and the your grass is starting to growand so on."

cleancut
01-26-2001, 08:51 PM
I usually put out flyers on colored paper with black print..This is alot more cost efficient, especially, when u consider that most of the flyers are going in the trash anyway...This has worked for me so far...Derrick

cst51
01-27-2001, 07:30 PM
Jim,
My flyer is MS publisher. I can try to email you on Monday with the flyer to get your opinion. I'm not real literate to that kind of stuff with computers so I will have to have our computer technology coordinator show me how to do it!!! just like a lot of you are saying it's a numbers game. If I can get a lot out and get a 3 percent return on them I think I'm doing good!!!! It is basically a flyer letting people know we are out there if you need service.
Thanks~Cary

inside-out
01-28-2001, 02:20 PM
One year I put out B/W fliers then the next I put out full color fliers. My response and overall reaction to the fliers was a lot better with the color. I think if you can use color fliers. they grab the potential customer and hold their attention alot longer. I also had a lot of comments from them about the flier.

Go with the color fliers!!!

LoneStarLawn
01-28-2001, 02:26 PM
Was the B/W your first year? Did you get a better response the second year because of the fliers themselves or for the fact that you were better known that year than the previous?

inside-out
01-28-2001, 02:31 PM
I can't really tell you if it was because i was better known or not. i did put the fliers out in different places and got better responses. also several homeowners commented on how they liked the fliers and how they made my service stick out from the rest.

Talon
12-08-2005, 10:17 PM
A person is 80% more likely to look at a flyer if it's in colour.

rogers lawn care
12-08-2005, 10:58 PM
just wondering how do you guys send out your flyers, do you do it yourself or by mail?

lawnman_scott
12-08-2005, 11:28 PM
A person is 80% more likely to look at a flyer if it's in colour.
If its sitting next to your mailbox, or on your door your going to look at it no matter what color it is, human nature. Save the money and do them black and white. What always worked good for me was to put an average price on it.

Trinity Lawn Care, LLC
12-08-2005, 11:48 PM
I like color paper and black ink. $ for $ I think that you would find this more cost effective IMO.

dsmrolla06
12-09-2005, 12:01 AM
White sells. Theres nothing wrong with white paper. I was thinking of using an heavier stock however for the paper, instead of just printer paper. It may show a touch of professionalism... Kinda like a business card, the ones you get made at copymax just arent the same as from a printing company, theyre just not as thick and heavy.

walker-talker
12-09-2005, 10:37 AM
I agree with the statement that a flyer will get read more if it's color, but I see no need to spend a lot of money on it....as I have done in the past. Here is a copy of a flier that I sent out in the spring http://lawnsite.com/showthread.php?t=92546&highlight=cheap+flyers

A lot of money spent with an aweful return rate. I feel that most people view "us" as mower dudes...and that's it. Those fliers that I had projected an image that was counter productive...in the words of Team Gopher. If you want to learn more on my past expierences and thought of the subject, go to this thread because I don't feel like repeating myself. http://lawnsite.com/showthread.php?t=124699&highlight=cheap+flyers
My next flyer/doorhanger will be in two colors only. I agree much with what Jim Lewis said. Present professionalism without spending a fortune. Quanity....not so much quality.

Team Gopher
12-14-2005, 11:51 AM
<Table width="100%" bgcolor="#DDDDDF"><TR><TD><font color="#000000">Have a tax question? Need free business advice? Ask our experts. Click Here (http://www.gophergraphics.com/forum/cgi-bin/ikonboard.cgi?act=ST&f=1&t=1296&st=&&#entry7582) </font></TD></TR></Table>
Hi cst51,

You will never know what works better until you experiment. Do some black and white and distribute them in one area. Do some color and distribute them in another area. See which gives you the best results.

<table width=100%>
<tr bgcolor="#C0C0C0"><td align=left><a HREF="http://www.gophersoftware.com/?ref=1">Download and try Gopher Free for 30 days.</a><BR>See if we can help you.</td><TD align="center"></td><td>http://www.gophergraphics.com/images/gopher_palm_banner_2.gif (http://www.gophergraphics.com/forum/cgi-bin/ikonboard.cgi?act=ST&f=2&t=1478&st=&&#entry8241)</td></tr></table>
<center>Free Web Templates (http://www.gophergraphics.com/forum/cgi-bin/ikonboard.cgi?act=ST;f=15;t=898). Make your own logo Free (http://www.gophergraphics.com/forum/cgi-bin/ikonboard.cgi?act=ST;f=1;t=1453).</center>

Carolina Cuts
12-18-2005, 09:43 AM
statistically, what's the average? 1 call per 100 flyers?
Last year (March,April), my first season starting off... I distributed roughly 850-900 flyers... returning about 30 calls... landing 18 regular cuts. Ending the season with 21-22 cuts. Was for the most part happy with the response rate. I used and will use again this year... 3"x7" full color flyer. Was able to fit 3 flyers on one page of 110 lb Card Stock. Customers liked the card stock and size, cause they said "Your flyer was nice enough and durable to keep on the refridgerator"... blah blah whatever... doesn't matter really, cause a few calls came in July, months later after advertising. So the customers really did in fact save the flyers.

(Logo)
(towns I work in)
(Description of basic service)
(Description of other services)
(rough estimate)
(call before 'whatever' date and get the first cut half price)

dsmrolla06
12-18-2005, 10:50 AM
You could go to the neighbor hood your distributing them in, look at a few yards then put on the flyer, "As low as $....!" At least then you get a price on it, and it may peak some interest.