PDA

View Full Version : Edgit Attachment or Stick Edger?

SoloMow
12-28-2004, 11:17 AM
I just finished my first year in the business and my accounts are exclusively small, residential lots. In an attempt to work "smarter and faster" next season, I want to reduce my edging time. I currently use a walk behind edger. I have used an inverted string-trimmer from time to time. However, I'm looking for a cleaner, straighter edge than I sometimes get with this method. Should I go with a commercial stick edger or some type of trimmer attachment like I found at www.edgit.com?

TClawn
12-28-2004, 01:05 PM
I've heard that people like the edgit. they say that if you stand on the grass to edge it leaves a better line.

Soupy
12-28-2004, 01:05 PM
I tried the Edgit and did not like it. Actually I hated it. Maybe I wasn't using it correctly or something becasue it had decent reviews on here when I bought it.

The C Man
12-28-2004, 06:10 PM
Get an Edgit, you'll like it. The walk behind edger is great if you're edging a property that hasn't been edged in a long time, but it's a time waster to use it to maintain the edge. Once you get an initial edge on the lawn it's snap to maintain it with an Edgit. You just walk along and drag it behind you in the groove and the edge stays nice and clean.

Metro Lawn
12-28-2004, 10:39 PM
Get an Edgit, you'll like it. The walk behind edger is great if you're edging a property that hasn't been edged in a long time, but it's a time waster to use it to maintain the edge. Once you get an initial edge on the lawn it's snap to maintain it with an Edgit. You just walk along and drag it behind you in the groove and the edge stays nice and clean.

This isn't really true. We always use a steel blade edger, either push or stick. We edge as deep as it will allow. It takes a few minutes, but lasts for up to 6 weeks with only minor touch up with a trimmer here and there. We only had to edge about 5 times this season. With my estimation, this is a better time saver.

PaulJ
12-28-2004, 11:52 PM
I have an edgit on both trimmers and if I buy another trimmer it will get an edgit also. I will use a walkbehind edger for new accounts or "once a year edge only" jobs but I use the trimmer and edgit for maintaining edges.
One key is to trim wiht your left hand on the throttle and your right hand controling the working end of the trimmer and walk forward with the trimmer head to your right.
I first learned to trim this way before I used an edgit. The edgit made it much smoother and faster. The edgit guide shows you right where your line is cutting and when turned on edge guides the string right down the edge. Give a clean edge every time you mow and charge a bit more for it. Use one machine to trim and edge and save on equipment cost. Trim while walking forward and facing forward and save your back.

Soupy
12-29-2004, 12:04 AM
I have an edgit on both trimmers and if I buy another trimmer it will get an edgit also. I will use a walkbehind edger for new accounts or "once a year edge only" jobs but I use the trimmer and edgit for maintaining edges.
One key is to trim wiht your left hand on the throttle and your right hand controling the working end of the trimmer and walk forward with the trimmer head to your right.
I first learned to trim this way before I used an edgit. The edgit made it much smoother and faster. The edgit guide shows you right where your line is cutting and when turned on edge guides the string right down the edge. Give a clean edge every time you mow and charge a bit more for it. Use one machine to trim and edge and save on equipment cost. Trim while walking forward and facing forward and save your back.

I couldn't get the darn thing to spin. It seemed like I was dragging the thing across the ground. I used the graphite lube and it did not help.

I would send it to one of you guys, but I'm not sure if I still have all the parts. I have the disk, I just moved it for the 1,00000000 time tonight. I'm sure I have the rest, but I'm not sure where.

What all goes to this thing? I can't remember.

PaulJ
12-29-2004, 01:40 AM
There are two rubber o-rings that goon top and bottom of the disc. Theses somtims get stuck or caught, or packed with timmings. This happens less as the unit gets worn some. About once a week i just clean some of the gunk out and turn it a few times. The disc is'nt supost to spin with the string but you should be able to turn it easily by hand and it should roll along the ground easily. The disc is sandwiched between two smaller discs the bolt the the head or adapter bracket.
What trimmer did you have yours on Soupy? I might be interested in whatever parts you have.

Soupy
12-29-2004, 01:47 AM
I had it on an Echo SRM 2100. I think all I am missing is the screws. It didn't want to roll is what I meant.

The C Man
12-29-2004, 01:59 PM
This isn't really true. We always use a steel blade edger, either push or stick. We edge as deep as it will allow. It takes a few minutes, but lasts for up to 6 weeks with only minor touch up with a trimmer here and there. We only had to edge about 5 times this season. With my estimation, this is a better time saver.

It sounds like you already have both a walk behind AND a stick edger. SoloMow said he only has a walk behind, which is a great tool for putting that first edge on the lawn. And as you said, once the edge is on there it's easy to maintain/touch up with a string trimmer. I think that's why an Edgit would work great for him. Judging by his name he's a solo operator, so an Edgit would save him time as well. When he's done string trimming the property he can go right into maintaining the edge without having to go back to the trailer and getting a separate tool.