PDA

View Full Version : help what would you do

JKOOPERS
12-28-2004, 04:32 PM
i have a contact that has 42 jobs he wants me to bid on the only problem some off the jobs are not the the areas i service right now. it is worth about $60,000 what would you do ? there is 28 taco bells and 14 lees chicken

coastallandscapesolutions
12-28-2004, 04:33 PM
i have a contact that has 42 jobs he wants me to bid on the only problem some off the jobs are not the the areas i service right now. it is worth about $60,000 what would you do ? there is 28 taco bells and 14 lees chicken

Bid them so you make money. When you give him a total be sure to calcualte your drive time.

chevyman1
12-28-2004, 04:34 PM
that's only $1,428 and change for each place? is that worth it?

JKOOPERS
12-28-2004, 04:35 PM
some of them i would have to drive 30 min for them . 7 of them are out of my way .

JKOOPERS
12-28-2004, 04:36 PM
almost all of them are 10 min jobs maybe 3000-5000 sq ft of turf. thenm there is bush trimmings , areation , weeds, mulch and snow plowing .

12-28-2004, 04:45 PM
Bid so you make money. That's the bottom line. I have a crew that drives 25 miles south to work. When we started there was only one job. 4 years later there are 147 residential and 18 commercial there.

When I bid that first job I made sure I made $$$. The great thing is that since that time that customer is still paying the same rate. Because he was high to start with I haven't had to raise his rates. The additional work made up the difference.

JKOOPERS
12-28-2004, 04:52 PM
ok coastal heres a question for ya the jobs i have to drive out of my are you saying to charge time (hourly)from when i leave the shop to the time i get back ?

Kelly's Landscaping
12-28-2004, 05:01 PM
Bigger question you said snow plowing and with those accounts it most certainly will require walks and stairs. Can you handle 42 snowplow accounts with 30 mins of driving for some and still get them done by the insane expectations that commercial property owners have. I dropped the plowing because I got sick of every one thinking they would be completely done with in 1 hour of the snow ending. That sounds like you would need 3-4 plow trucks to get that done. Places like that expect it done before they open if it stops snowing at 8 am and they all open at 10 or 11 can you see where this is going.

JKOOPERS
12-28-2004, 05:26 PM
the contact that i have has 9 nine plow trucks he doesnt do lawn care

SodKing
12-28-2004, 05:40 PM
Piggybacking on what Coastal said, Bid the job so you make money BUT also don't be afraid to subcontract, especially the snowplowing. You get the bid, manage the account, someone else does the work. Since they are closer, they should come in under your bid.

grass_cuttin_fool
12-28-2004, 05:55 PM
Ok each property comes out to aprox $1430.00 each. Most people here get $100.00 a pop or more to push a parking lot. If you get a snowy year that could eat up all the money for snow. Can this other guy be that dependable to get the lots clean for you? That is asking alot of him with his other accounts to take on 42 more. Also do you have any employee's? Shrubs and mulch can really eat up alot of time and Im guessing that the owner is going to want most all looking the same at the same time, by this I mean he doesnt want the shrubs growing out of control here and really neat in another area. He is probably going to want them looking uniform ( all looking about the same at the same time). One last question is this the only accounts you have or do you have others? Theese places can eat up alot of time at times and get you behind, keep us posted
wayne

JKOOPERS
12-28-2004, 06:09 PM
i already have about 40 accounts. its just me and my brother . the guy with trucks actually has the contract and hes just gonna sub all the lawn care to me . so yes he is dependable i have worked with him for a few years.

12-28-2004, 06:10 PM
ok coastal heres a question for ya the jobs i have to drive out of my are you saying to charge time (hourly)from when i leave the shop to the time i get back ?

These jobs that you are driving to, I would calculate the what the drive time is to the job and then subtract your normal drive time and bill them for the extra time in the estimate.

Example, normally you drive 20 minutes. However the new drive time is 40 minutes. The difference is 20 minutes. That I would figure into the estimate.

Now someone else made a good point. Can you handle the plowing of these properties? Cutting is one thing but plowing is another and I do not know much about that being from the south.... at least not yet. Our last good snow was 1989.

grass_cuttin_fool
12-28-2004, 06:23 PM
Is snow removal included in the bid of $60,000, if so be sure to get the price per snow or clearing and figure how many snows you have on avg. Im not sure on the snowfall in St Louis but be careful.
Some ruff figures 60,000 = $1430 per prop= 35 visits @$42, If you spend 300 in snow removal then you are down to $1130= 35 visits @$32
If the snow removal is figured in becareful, may be good money in the summer and then have a major bill and cut the profit way down. Also are shrubs that die included in that total bid and mulch for 60 K?