PDA

View Full Version : Corn Gluten

Livinglarge
12-29-2004, 10:18 AM
Does anyone have trouble getting this product at their feed mills? I am having trouble finding it here in corn country.

PAXLSI
01-02-2005, 09:53 PM
About a year ago I went to the local COOP looking for corn gluten. The looks I got!!! After I explained what I wanted it for, they told me that cracked corn is probley what I want. Did not give it a try thou, not sure if I would want corn growing in my lawn.

Grassboy 101
01-03-2005, 05:10 PM
Corn gluten meal and cracked corn are not the same. Corn gluten meal is a byproduct of wet-milling. It has the protein element from the whole corn grain. It is a very bright yellow, fine powder. Go to Iowa State Univ. site, this is were a lot of the testing of corn gluten meal as a pre-emergent herbicide for crabgrass was done.

Gators_Aerator
01-05-2005, 12:12 PM
I had the same problem. Many mills or feed stores did not carry the item. I was able to find one place that carried it. Look for mills that produce the item and then find out who they supply. They may be able to order it for you.

I have had good results with it this fall.

leadarrows
01-05-2005, 12:34 PM
I don't know where your all from but here in central Indiana any feed store has it or can get it no problem. I don't understand what could have been the reason for PAXLSI experience at the COOP. That dose seem strange.

I forgot the locations are in a new place. :blush:
I don't understand why you guys are having trouble getting this at your locations. Sounds like a business opportunity possible there.

Gators_Aerator
01-05-2005, 05:24 PM
I live in Ohio the heart of Scotts lawn territory. Chemicals rule. Organics are hard to come by. I was able find one place just outside of Columbus. They get the CGM from a mill in northern Ohio.

Hamons
01-05-2005, 05:37 PM
I just got a [postcard yesterday from a company called turfect that sells CGM. I live in Kansas City and they listed my closest dealer as Valley Feed nad Grain in Waco, MO (417-642-5467)

They have a website: www.turfect.net

Maybe they would be somebody you should call.

Dchall_San_Antonio
01-12-2005, 01:25 AM
I've heard others on other forums say that the CGM from Ohio, Indiana, and Northern Kentucky is the cheapest around. Cost something like $8/hundredweight. I looked into the shipping costs but it brings it up to the price I can get it for down here.

Grassboy 101
01-16-2005, 09:58 AM
I understand that there is a difference between Horticultural Corn Gluten and regular agricultural corn gluten meal. The Horticultural has a higher protein content, I think it is about twice that of agricultural corn gluten meal.
Question, anyone do side by side evaluations of applications. I am sure that the Horticultural in much more expensive, but does it work better? My cost per 50# bags is between $19.95 and $24.50 depending upon the source.
Thanks for any help!

AlpineNaturescapes
01-22-2005, 04:03 AM
What are your sources? Those are good prices.