PDA

View Full Version : Need 2 Walk-Behinds

zinkjo
12-29-2004, 02:34 PM
Starting up our business in the spring. Anticipating 15-20 residential clients year 1 and then doubling every year after.

I've been looking into equipment and with all the choices not sure what to go with. I think I've narrowed the search down to Gravely and Toro. I have a few questions:
1) Any preferences between Gravely and Toro?
2) Is it worth going with the hydrostatic?
3) Is it worth going with a floating deck?

As I already have a full-time job money is not a huge issue. I'll be using my full-time job to support the new landscaping business for the first couple of years.

thanks for your time and help.

lawncare4u
12-31-2004, 10:22 AM
I curently have 2 walkbehinds.The first one i purchased was a Bobcat w/48'' non-floating deck and gear drive.It is a good unit,however I purchased a Ex-mark w/48'' floating deck and HYDRO.My prefrence is the HYDRO with a floating deck regardless of the MFG. you go with!These have both been good mowers . Hope this will be of some help!! :alien:

mowin4$
12-31-2004, 10:36 AM
i do not know much about gravley.toro seems to be good.i run scag mowers.1 52",2 36" all hydros. they are fixed decks . i have not found the need for floating deck yet.only 1 breakdown in 8 years & that was a belt,i mow everything i can with 52 & use 36 for fenced backyards.some people say they don't mow if they have a fence,but if you are just starting out , you may not have a choice. hopefully in a few years you can say no to fences.i always bought used,clean mowers from people i know . in '01 i bought my first new scag(52).hydro is the only way to go.i also work a full time job & maintain 30 yards a week part time.also i pay co-workers to help when needed.charge a fair price & do a perfect cut every time because that is your signature in lawns.as you grow , then you can raise prices in small incraments.do NOT lowball.its not worth it. there is a guy in my area that mows for half what i charge & mows 50-60yards per week,yet we make the same $.why do all that work! those people must not care haw nice their yard looks as long as it is cut.and it looks like a $15 cut.with my mowers i average 2-3 lawns per hour depending what neighborhood i'm in.my thurs route i have 1 stop, 6 yards.
good luck & network with other guys, that helps too.

shaughnessylawn
01-01-2005, 11:04 PM
I can get u a 36 in garvley with a sulky,bagger,new belts and 3sets of blades

PALawnGuy461
01-05-2005, 07:20 AM
I agree with the first reply by lawncare4U. The hydro Exmark with the floating deck is the only way to go. My gear drive John Deere is OK but the belts slip very easy( always adjusting them) and the fixed deck tends to dig into the turf on uneven surfaces. The hydro Exmark my employer has does neither. Go with a hydro Exmark, you won't be sorry, they're awesome machines.

KathysLGC
01-10-2005, 10:22 AM
I have a 48" hydro FS... PM me. Im in CT