PDA

View Full Version : help starting out........

wannamow
12-29-2004, 03:17 PM
Im currently unemployed from my previous job (plant sold). And I have been wanting to start my own lawn business. My father has been doing this for 20 years in fla. and I have some experience from working with him when I was younger. But I live in mich. now and cant really have daddy help to much. My question is how do you get those first clients.....how to bill.....what to charge.....ect.ect.
I have a chance to start a new job but that whould get in the way of starting this business. I am really commited to doing this all the way. Because I am sick of making the other guy rich.
This site is really great and does give alot of help. Just wanted some info on what you guys thought.

Gautreaux's LNG
12-29-2004, 05:37 PM
Flyers.. door to door in neighborhoods you wanna work in! Not sure when you start mowing in Michigan but about 1-2 weeks before the season kicks off is usually ideal.

Mowing... we charged $40.00 per man hour. The key will be estimating time it's gonna take you to do a job. This is where most new LCO's get burned, they under estimate job time and get killed on the price... be cautious!

Billing... We billed our customers on monthly invoices through the mail. Some use door hangers and some use a combination! I know our customers loved just getting a bill at the end of the month in the mail...

Insurance... Please get some liabilty Insurance, it's cheap compared to what could happen w/o it!