PDA

View Full Version : Looking to grow

yokes
12-29-2004, 04:26 PM
I need you guys to think back to when you were just starting out, around your second or third year in business. What was the most number of new accounts you added in one season and how did you do it?

Smithers
12-29-2004, 04:36 PM
this was my first year so i am no expert, but i think word of mouth is the #1 way to grow. offer your customers incentives to recommend you at first.

PR Fect
12-29-2004, 04:39 PM
Networking. Get in touch with other contractors. You cut grass but not trees? get ahold of a tree guy, Fert and Squirt but no mowing? Trade you services or business cards. Even a nail bender. I got one of the best accounts we have because I recommended him and he us.

Kelly's Landscaping
12-29-2004, 04:39 PM
Year 1 we got 65 year 2 we hit 130 about 85-90 of them were new. How do it direct mail can work wonders if you write a good letter I plan on 150 new accounts this season.

Gautreaux's LNG
12-29-2004, 04:40 PM
One season we went from 62 accounts to 90 accounts.. We didn't purchase any accounts from others. But we worked out a$$e$ off with fliers, signs and handing out business cards to anyone who would take one!

Kelly's Landscaping
12-29-2004, 05:00 PM
Word of mouth is great but itís too slow. It also has other pitfalls such as a great client sets you up with their friend who is a complete A-hole. You end up with nothing but trouble but you try to work through it for fear of losing the good client. I prefer now that they do not know each other. Its one thing to lose an account it is something else to have a string of 3-5 go.

Smithers
12-29-2004, 05:09 PM
i agree, it;s too slow, but you have almost a guaranteed sale (contract). i got my 4th client this way. she moved in, talked to her neighbor (my client), came out and said, "I want to hire you" (old lady). no questions about money, cost, nothing.

The refferals are almost guaranteed.(sp?)

captaingreen
12-29-2004, 05:10 PM
Networking. Get in touch with other contractors. You cut grass but not trees? get ahold of a tree guy, Fert and Squirt but no mowing? Trade you services or business cards. Even a nail bender. I got one of the best accounts we have because I recommended him and he us.
Couldn't agree more with this. I worked for 2 major company's as a comm. applicator before starting my mowing bus.. I have friends and managers at both companies, that was a MAJOR help my first year and continues to help going on my 3rd year.