PDA

View Full Version : 2 Walk Behind Mowers

zinkjo
12-29-2004, 06:58 PM
Starting up our business in the spring. Anticipating 15-20 residential clients year 1 and then doubling every year after.

I've been looking into equipment and with all the choices not sure what to go with. I think I've narrowed the search down to Gravely and Toro. I have a few questions:
1) Any preferences between Gravely and Toro?
2) Is it worth going with the hydrostatic?
3) Is it worth going with a floating deck?

As I already have a full-time job money is not a huge issue. I'll be using my full-time job to support the new landscaping business for the first couple of years.

thanks for your time and help.

Tn Lawn Man
12-29-2004, 10:56 PM
First, I would post this question in the Commercial Lawn Care forum and not the landscape forum. You will get a better response.

As far as answering your question, I don't know very much about Gravely. However, I do own Toro and think very highly of them.

If money is not an issue go hydro all the way. It is far superior.

Floating deck vs. Fixed deck.....the opinions vary greatly in this area. IMO Fixed decks are more sturdy but I prefer floating decks. I think the cut is better and you can change the height faster.

cgland
12-29-2004, 11:02 PM
zinkjo,

If money is not an issue, deffinately go for the floating deck in as large a size as your properties will permit. Always plan ahead for future expansion. As far as Gravely and Toro, I would go with the Toro. I have heard much better things about them. We use Ferris 52" dual hydro w/b and they are the best imo. But you must choose most importantly on dealer support, because if you have a problem, you need someone that will take care of you and get your equipment back on the streets. This is why sometimes price shopping is not the best thing to do. We pay a little more for our machines, but our dealer has us up and running in a couple of hours (if possible) Granted, we have extra machines, but with alot of companies that is not the case. Most mowers today are made pretty much the same. YOU have to choose which one suits your needs better and feels the best in your hands. Hope this helps. :drinkup:

Chris