PDA

View Full Version : 96 walker 400hrs good or bad?

CrewCut
01-26-2001, 10:47 AM
I am in the process of buying a 96 Walker with a rebuilt 20hp kohler with 450 hrs and a 48in Ghs. They are asking $3500 good or bad buy, some things to look for?

Eric ELM
01-26-2001, 10:57 AM
I have a Chopper that is 1 year older that has almost 3,000 more hours on it, so this machine must have been used by a home owner with that such few hours on it. You can usually tell how they took care of it by the general appearance of them. I have seen mowers with 60 hours on it that looked 20 years old. With a rebuilt motor and that few hours, it has to have a lot of hours in it left. I have 325 hours on a 2001 machine. It is hard to say without looking at it, but check out for leaks of the hydraulic system and test drive it. This deal doesn't sound to bad to me.

Cleve
01-26-2001, 11:00 AM
Wonder why the engine had to be rebuilt after only 450 hours?
I have a 94' Walker with the diesel and remember that around 40 hours the hour meter quit. I replaced it under warranty with Walker but wonder if everybody would do that.
With hours that low the machine should still look almost new.
I would make the deal based on letting my dealer look at the machine and comment on it. Definitely a good price.
Cleve....

awm
01-26-2001, 12:06 PM
If a homeowner killed an engine that fast.
Id sure look hard at any wear points. I suspect
a pro owned it.In that case it still wore the
motor out quick.He may not have been much on
maintenance.Still could be a good deal but a gamble
which most things are.

Eric ELM
01-26-2001, 12:26 PM
I haven't had an hour meter that quit, but that is a possibility too. It could of been disconnected too, so there are lots of possibilities here. It could be a gamble or a good deal, but isn't any used equipment?

Davis TLC
01-26-2001, 01:05 PM
I would definately have my dealer take a look at this unit, with this being a condition of buying the unit. Inspect the deck for possible indications that it has been bent on front or sides, look to see if the blades have been making contact with the deck anywhere around the perimeter. Check for possible oil leaks on hydros, look for oily dust trails from the leaks on the housings and frame. Check for wear in the gear box to the deck, you should have a little but it should not be excessive.

If this machine has not been abused any, then the price is worth it. Should be a good mower for you.

BUSHMASTER
01-26-2001, 05:27 PM
either way 3500 or maybe less if you jew a little bout right

cut-rite
01-26-2001, 08:22 PM
450 hrs on machine or on engine?

LJ lawn
01-26-2001, 09:59 PM
the way i read it, sounds like it only has 450 hrs on the new engine.

Currier
01-26-2001, 11:13 PM
Providing the machine is in good shape, that price ain't half bad! The walker website (walkermowers.com) used to have a list of things to look for when buying used.

Turfclippings
01-28-2001, 09:31 PM
I have a 98 Walker with right around 800 hours. It has a 25 Kohler, the only problem i had was the smart box this past year. The price sounds very good, the dealer must not know how much this machine is worth, if it looks fairly new still i would be all over, i know the productivity of the Walker and price sounds unbeatable.