PDA

View Full Version : Condominium Bid

jtkplc
12-29-2004, 08:23 PM
For next year, I got a contract for a condominium complex with 23 buildings and two units per structure, so 46 homes. There are the backs to all of the buildings, front and side yards to all buildings with 3 larger areas of grass, (1) 250x250ft, (2) 100x500ft, (3) 150x150ft. By that info, what would your bid be for the whole year including spring and fall clean-ups?

PLM-1
12-29-2004, 08:47 PM
about $405 just for mowing...cleanups would be something totally different. I would have to actually see the property with the leaves to give that estimate.

ed2hess
12-29-2004, 08:55 PM
These usually include fertilize, flowers, sprinkler checks, bush trimming, beds weeded/sprayed. And what about mulch and pest/disease control for yard and bushes? And how many mowings and you can't wait weeks for leaves to come down they need to be addressed weekly and you usually don't get any extra beyond just a mowing charge.

Tn Lawn Man
12-29-2004, 10:32 PM
about $405 just for mowing...cleanups would be something totally different. I would have to actually see the property with the leaves to give that estimate.

That seems very cheap. I come up with a much higher figure just to mow, let alone fertilize, seed etc....

i_plant_art
12-29-2004, 10:42 PM
just for mowing, edge, trim the 3 big areas you gave numbers for $ 418.39 weekly .. but is this the whole property or are those number just the 3 big areas you were talking about.

GrassMaster84
12-30-2004, 12:48 AM
i plant art,
how did u calculate that number? just curious

PLM-1
12-30-2004, 12:52 AM
I got mine by getting the total sq ft and multiplying by .003 which is my rate.

PLM-1
12-30-2004, 12:53 AM
That seems very cheap. I come up with a much higher figure just to mow, let alone fertilize, seed etc....

what did you come up with out of curiosity. what is your rate for mowing and then your rate for fert. i've been trying to find a good rate for fert...thanx

JKOOPERS
12-30-2004, 01:57 AM
i just picked up a small condo complex in nov and it 1.5 acres and i get $125 for mowing and 200 for fert . then i get 500 for a leaf clean up that only takes me and another guy 3 hours. i did 2 since mid nov when i got the place. they always want extras too.

Soupy
12-30-2004, 02:00 AM
what did you come up with out of curiosity. what is your rate for mowing and then your rate for fert. i've been trying to find a good rate for fert...thanx

A good rate for a 6app program is $25 stop charge plus $3 per K.

mdb landscaping
12-30-2004, 08:06 AM
Run for the hills.....i hate condos lol. so many people think they are the boss :p

Soupy
12-30-2004, 09:38 AM
Run for the hills.....i hate condos lol. so many people think they are the boss :p

Doesn't all customers think they are the boss? What's the difference if they were all received separate invoices?

jtkplc
12-30-2004, 02:41 PM
These usually include fertilize, flowers, sprinkler checks, bush trimming, beds weeded/sprayed. And what about mulch and pest/disease control for yard and bushes? And how many mowings and you can't wait weeks for leaves to come down they need to be addressed weekly and you usually don't get any extra beyond just a mowing charge.

I am only hired for mowing and clean-ups. The contract reads up to 28 cuttings.

mdb landscaping
12-30-2004, 02:52 PM
Doesn't all customers think they are the boss? What's the difference if they were all received separate invoices?

the difference is in condos, everybody has an opinion. one neighbor says do it like that , and the other gets pissed off you did it like that. its very hard to please everyone in a condo complex. we have 5 of them, and some people that live in condos just dont think realistically.

Tn Lawn Man
12-30-2004, 04:53 PM

First keep in mind that I don't really know how big the turf area is around the buildings. But the original post stated that there are front, side and back yards to all of the buildings. These building are likely going to be larger than an average home because they house two units per structure.

So basically we have the mowing equivilent of 23 homes. I average $30 to $35 a cut for a typical residential yard. Let's say that I give a discount because we have 23 together with one drop of the trailer tail gate and we price it at $25 a building.

If that is the case then we start at about $575 a cut....just to mow the buildings.

WAIT...in the original post he stated that he also has 3 larger areas of grass " (1) 250x250ft, (2) 100x500ft, (3) 150x150ft". Well an acre is about 43500 sq ft. These three areas total about 135,000 sq ft or a little over 3 acres. So be generous and say another $100 for that.

We are now at about $675 per cut.

As for my fert rate it is usually close to double my mow rate...depending upon all of the factors.

Once again keep in mind that these are based on "unknown" factors. I have not seen the prop or even a picture.

Now Joplin...please share how you came up with your numbers. You mention .003. Is this just for the three large areas that he mentioned? :)

PLM-1
12-30-2004, 05:17 PM
First keep in mind that I don't really know how big the turf area is around the buildings. But the original post stated that there are front, side and back yards to all of the buildings. These building are likely going to be larger than an average home because they house two units per structure.

So basically we have the mowing equivilent of 23 homes. I average $30 to $35 a cut for a typical residential yard. Let's say that I give a discount because we have 23 together with one drop of the trailer tail gate and we price it at $25 a building.

If that is the case then we start at about $575 a cut....just to mow the buildings.

WAIT...in the original post he stated that he also has 3 larger areas of grass " (1) 250x250ft, (2) 100x500ft, (3) 150x150ft". Well an acre is about 43500 sq ft. These three areas total about 135,000 sq ft or a little over 3 acres. So be generous and say another $100 for that.

We are now at about $675 per cut.

As for my fert rate it is usually close to double my mow rate...depending upon all of the factors.

Once again keep in mind that these are based on "unknown" factors. I have not seen the prop or even a picture.

Now Joplin...please share how you came up with your numbers. You mention .003. Is this just for the three large areas that he mentioned? :)

I guess i didn't catch the anything but the dimensions listed. My error. That was my price just for those area. My .003 is my rate per square foot. thanks for the help

ed2hess
12-30-2004, 05:54 PM
You had the correct answer at the beginning regardless of how you got to it. We get about $20 per building in our area....and that includes the big areas. Fertilize would be about $700 a year and add 3 extra cuts at $400 for leaves. This is a funny deal in that only mowing and leaf cleanup is being done. Sounds like this guy is a sub for someone else? Our area is very competitive so I know we would never get $600+. In our area there are hundreds of guys that would love to have this job for $300 a trip...three guys could do this in one day easy. The extra stuff is where we make our money....like mulch, flowers, drainage problems, bush trimming, bug spray, lawn disease control, irrigation checks and repair, etc. etc. The low bidders (i.e. $300) wouldn't get the job because they want only one guy to do all the work.

Tn Lawn Man
12-30-2004, 08:12 PM
For next year, I got a contract for a condominium complex with 23 buildings and two units per structure, so 46 homes. There are the backs to all of the buildings, front and side yards to all buildings with 3 larger areas of grass, (1) 250x250ft, (2) 100x500ft, (3) 150x150ft. By that info, what would your bid be for the whole year including spring and fall clean-ups?

So JTKPLC

We gave our estimates....at what rate did you end up getting the contract?

And, tell us how you arrived at it.

:waving:

jtkplc
12-30-2004, 09:04 PM
So JTKPLC

We gave our estimates....at what rate did you end up getting the contract?

And, tell us how you arrived at it.

:waving:

This was my first time bidding something other than a residential lot so it was all new to me. My boss for another lawn care company I work for 3 days a week gave me some pointers. But basically it was my own judgement. I looked at each yard for one unit of 2 homes and estimated the time to mow, trim, and blow and I gave it a low and high estimate (example 10-14 minutes) and then I multiplied it by 23 and then I estimated the time for the larger areas of grass. I added up all of my times, both low and high, and arrived at 7 hours for low and 9 for high. I decided to go high and actually I bidded it for 10 hours. I'm confident that I will be able to mow it in under 10 hours and I'm planning on always making money off of this. I figured 15 hours for spring clean-up and 20 for fall clean-up. My total bid was $9660.

I attached a couple pics of the complex.

Tn Lawn Man
12-31-2004, 11:10 AM
This was my first time bidding something other than a residential lot so it was all new to me. My boss for another lawn care company I work for 3 days a week gave me some pointers. But basically it was my own judgement. I looked at each yard for one unit of 2 homes and estimated the time to mow, trim, and blow and I gave it a low and high estimate (example 10-14 minutes) and then I multiplied it by 23 and then I estimated the time for the larger areas of grass. I added up all of my times, both low and high, and arrived at 7 hours for low and 9 for high. I decided to go high and actually I bidded it for 10 hours. I'm confident that I will be able to mow it in under 10 hours and I'm planning on always making money off of this. I figured 15 hours for spring clean-up and 20 for fall clean-up. My total bid was $9660.

I attached a couple pics of the complex.

I think you are pretty close on the cutting time. Looking at the pictures, I have done complexes almost exactly like this one before. However, I would like to see what the three large areas look like (the 3 acres). With that said, I would estimate an experienced mower could do it in about 10 to 11 hours.

However, taking your bid of $9660 and dividing by your number of 28 cuts you get $345 a cut. And this does not take into account the fall and spring clean ups. I am not from Michigan but this number seems really low.

If you take an standard 8 hour work day and assume it is going to take you 10 hours to complete the job then that puts you at $276 a day on the low side and $345 a day on the very best high side.

Your goal should be in the neighborhood of $500 a day. You might be selling yourself short.

You said that you are new and that you have only bid on residential lots to this point. Out of curiosity how much do you charge to cut your standard residential lot that takes you about 30 minutes or so to do?

jtkplc
12-31-2004, 12:45 PM
I think you are pretty close on the cutting time. Looking at the pictures, I have done complexes almost exactly like this one before. However, I would like to see what the three large areas look like (the 3 acres). With that said, I would estimate an experienced mower could do it in about 10 to 11 hours.

However, taking your bid of $9660 and dividing by your number of 28 cuts you get $345 a cut. And this does not take into account the fall and spring clean ups. I am not from Michigan but this number seems really low.

If you take an standard 8 hour work day and assume it is going to take you 10 hours to complete the job then that puts you at $276 a day on the low side and $345 a day on the very best high side.

Your goal should be in the neighborhood of $500 a day. You might be selling yourself short.

You said that you are new and that you have only bid on residential lots to this point. Out of curiosity how much do you charge to cut your standard residential lot that takes you about 30 minutes or so to do?

My prices for residentials are $25-$35 depending on obstacles, size, and trim. As far as clean-ups, this complex is only 5 years old, so the trees aren't very big (8-13ft.) which means not many leaves to condend with.

JKOOPERS
12-31-2004, 01:25 PM
JTKPLC you got f$cked i have a condo complex with 4 buildings and i got the bid at a little over $10,000

Tn Lawn Man
12-31-2004, 01:59 PM
My prices for residentials are $25-$35 depending on obstacles, size, and trim. As far as clean-ups, this complex is only 5 years old, so the trees aren't very big (8-13ft.) which means not many leaves to condend with.

Please don't think I am attacking you because that is not my intention. I am just trying to help you not make some of the same mistakes I did when I first started out.

Let's crunch some real world numbers for a minute....bear with me :)

If you get $25 as your low price for residentials then why are you charging so low for this complex?

By looking at your photos, each building appears to be at least the same size as an average residential.

And at $25 a building that should put you at $575 a cut, just for the buildings...not including the other 3 acres.

According to your bid now, you are getting $15 a building....not counting the clean ups or other 3 acres.

Even if you gave them a mega discount of $20 a building that would put you at $460 a cut.

The difference between $460 a cut and your current bid of $345 a cut is $3200 for the year. That, my friend, is a brand new commercial walk behind mower or a lot of extra cash in your pocket.

If you were to get you bottom residential rate of $25 a building then that would be an extra $6440. That is almost a ZTR mower.

You would have been much better getting 23 residentials....even if that meant more winshield time.

Did you get a contract for this complex or is it a month to month? If you did not get a contract then you might be able to talk about a price increase either before the season starts or after they see how good your work is.

I hope all of this helps. :D

Kelly's Landscaping
12-31-2004, 05:27 PM
The pics are great it helps a lot to see what you see. So help me out you posted 15 hours for spring and 20 hours for fall clean ups. Are those man-hours or crew-hours? Something I saw in all 3 pics was a wood line with hundreds of trees now I do not know about where you are but where I am we have something called wind no question about it allot of those leaves are going to fine them selves all over the complex. You said you think it will take 9 hours to cut it I cant see how you could clean the whole thing in only 15-20 then. If its crew then it makes a lot more sense I find my clean up prices are typically 3-8 times more then the price of the lawn cut but there are times when those numbers get much more extreme one of my 45 dollar cuts has a 950 dollar fall clean up. Granted this place does not look very difficult to clean but you start getting those maple seeds and things like that imbedded in the lawn and the speed to blow it off drops dramatically.

jtkplc
12-31-2004, 05:41 PM
Thanks for the advice and help, I guess we'll see what it's like when I start mowing. Like I said, this is my first big contract and I don't claim to know the science of bidding bigger places like this. It's live and learn. A teacher I had in High School always said this, "you learn by failing."

I know you guys have been in the business and obviously know what you're talking about, but you're going from pictures and numbers. I have seen the place and only I know how fast I work.

When I heard about this bid, I didn't want to blow it. I've been waiting a long time for a place like this. I knew that sense I'm solo, that my bid would be lower than any of them that they received. I wanted to make sure I got the account and not worry too much about shooting myself in the foot than not getting it at all. This will be 10K I didn't have before. I do understand that it could have been more money. We'll see if this bid was a "mistake" or not when the season starts. I'm confident that I did this ok even though you guys think otherwise.

Soupy
12-31-2004, 06:05 PM
Thanks for the advice and help, I guess we'll see what it's like when I start mowing. Like I said, this is my first big contract and I don't claim to know the science of bidding bigger places like this. It's live and learn. A teacher I had in High School always said this, "you learn by failing."

I know you guys have been in the business and obviously know what you're talking about, but you're going from pictures and numbers. I have seen the place and only I know how fast I work.

When I heard about this bid, I didn't want to blow it. I've been waiting a long time for a place like this. I knew that sense I'm solo, that my bid would be lower than any of them that they received. I wanted to make sure I got the account and not worry too much about shooting myself in the foot than not getting it at all. This will be 10K I didn't have before. I do understand that it could have been more money. We'll see if this bid was a "mistake" or not when the season starts. I'm confident that I did this ok even though you guys think otherwise.

This is the number one mistake most LCO's make. They think they ca not pass on work and that they only look at the gross figure. You are not going to pocket anywhere near that 10 grand.

Is it 23 duplexes with 46 residents? or 46 duplexes? I would have priced it at $640 per cut or $1100 per cut depending on the above question. I would have priced the fall clean up at 3x those prices and the spring clean up at 2 times those prices.

I agree, you would have been better off getting 23 new residential's. Or even 13 new residential's would have brought you the same money as this job.

Tn Lawn Man
12-31-2004, 06:34 PM

I agree with the Soupy's post.

This is how a lot of LCOs go out of business. They think it is good money and then find out the hard way that there is more to it then they thought.

With that being said. I wish you luck. We all start somewhere and we have all learned so much compared to when we first started.

It sounds like you have a good attitude to go far. And, this will be a good property to learn on. Please feel free to keep throwing things like this at us. It keeps my skills honed.

Also, please keep us updated on how it goes.

P.S. If you do get into it and find that you have not bidded it correctly please feel free to PM me. I can throw a little management advice your way to help it not sting as much.

i_plant_art
01-01-2005, 01:24 AM
grassmaster84 i calculated those number based on how much time i know it take me to mow an acre times the number of acres gives me total time in hours times my hourly rate. why do you ask besides the fact we operate in the same market. how does my $$ compare to what you would offer high or low? also its hard to give someone a $$ like that w/o looking at it it could be completely different if i were to see it ya know. there could be 1000 trees to mow around or somethign like that who knows.

i_plant_art
01-01-2005, 01:41 AM
grassmaster84 - those prices i gave were only for the 3 big areas he gave numbers for not the whole show.

jtkplc- based upon the pics you showed if that is close to all of the area that you have to mow and trim it will take you NO WHERE NEAR 10 hours to do that unless your using a 21" and in a wheelchair. so yes you should make $$ on it lots of $$ on it infact. but for your $9660 you have 28 weeks of mowing at 10hrs per wekk =280 hrs 15hrs for spring clean up and 20 hrs for fall.grand totaling 315 hrs. 9660/315=30.66 is your hourl rate for this. now if it takes you long than 315 total for the year it goes down and i know that markets are different but being in the north your cost of living has to be higher than mine here in TN and working for 30.00/ hr here isnt even breaking even, taking into account of gas, ins, work comp, mower payments etc etc. im not trying to knock on you all i am trying to say as my point is this seems low to me, make sure you keep track of your hours as you go if u find that your not making the kind of money that you once thought u would then go in and talk to them if they wont pay more then bail out b4 it breaks you. commercial places are nice to have and pay goo dbut in the same coin can also break a business VERY quickly if not properly bid and managed. with this being your first im just trying to give you a heads up so you dont make some of the mistakes others of us on here have.

i_plant_art
01-01-2005, 01:44 AM
one last thing as some of the others here have mentioned that condos everyone want to be the boss. you will find that this is true but STRICTLY enfore this on yourself. the only person that is the boss is you and the person who signs the check everyone else can talk to them if they want somethign "their way" and in that case bring out the bid form and charge for it above and beyond your existing bid price. believe me once they get you to do somethign 1 time they will get you to do it every time. beware of this.

Smithers
01-04-2005, 11:24 PM
jtkplc, did you get the job?

Geezer
01-05-2005, 01:09 AM
Are you just playing 'I can name that tune in 4 notes' to come up with your production times? IMHO, You need a better estimating model so you can put your actual field production rates for specific tasks (ie-I can mow X square feet per hour with my machine, I can line trim Y linear feet of curb line per hour, I can blow off Z square feet of pavement with my blower). How else are you going to repeat your success...or more importantly not REPEAT your mistakes. You can do a time study and find out where you are at on these things. Remember that these times need to be realistic, you can't run a world record race every time out of the blocks.

I don't recall seeing any discussion of the details of what specific tasks are mandated by the contract. Do you have to EDGE the hard lines / bed lines? How much time did you allocate for clean up time(blowing)? I'll think you might be surprised by how long it will take to blow off all the pavement in the place.

I don't recall any mention of the INDIRECT labor you will incur to service this job. Travel time, loading/unloading equipment, fueling, equipment maintenance/service, etc. This can all add up to sink a marginal job. The trap is to gloss over these things. Even a single man operation must consider these indirect costs. Did your pricing of the job take into account these sorts of items?

As long as you know what it costs you to produce your product, you will be able to price the work so you can return an acceptable profit.

I hope that some of what I have mentioned is of value to you. Good luck on this and future jobs.

stumper1620
01-05-2005, 06:27 AM
looking at those pics, if you blew the estimate, go for a healthy profit on all that available weed control in the shrubs, add edging to it at a healthy rate & don't forget to up sell the hedging & pruning on all those shrubs, the mowing could be made profitable but the part that could hurt is all that trimming & blowing. what all is stated as needing to be whipped & blown, remember as you update your mowers & increase speed that you still have to pay for that added speed, i hate rating on how long it will take me to mow an acre because i have a fast mowing ztr, now i could beat your est. just on my mow speed, i prefer to try bidding at the rate of a walker.
these are my thoughts, try not to bid the extras until you see what you profit/loss shows after a couple mows, this helps set the other rates.

Kelly's Landscaping
01-05-2005, 11:21 AM
. How much time did you allocate for clean up time(blowing)? I'll think you might be surprised by how long it will take to blow off all the pavement in the place.

Ant that the truth I have a few houses that eat the blow off time so much I am shocked one lady after I got the account goes oh and I expect the back patio and the tennis court blown off. Before I could really think it over I said sure well that court is 50x75 and under oak trees you want to talk about unforeseen that account sometimes eats 20 mins just on blow off time very big drive way I count 11 entrances to the house.

If this guy has to blow off 46 drive ways and walk ways plus common areas plus anything along the streets I will bet he has 60 mins plus on blow off time

stumper1620
01-05-2005, 10:11 PM
looking at those pics again & thinking about mid summer fuel cost i see about 50 dollars in fuel alone, when i looked this morning i was half asleep, but looking tonight "HOLY WOW" look at all that trimmer work, you need somebody on a whip the whole time your mowing and i bet you still end up helping with the whip, hope your not required to edge all that, man every yard with timber front edging, every unit with a mailbox to trim, i sure hope there is more mulch areas than can be seen in the pics, that looks like everything needs to be trimmed not just circled. am i right? if its not in the contract sell it don't get sucked into doing something for one unit or you WILL be expected to do it for ALL.

jtkplc
09-29-2005, 10:38 PM
I got the bid, they loved me and I am bidding on it for next season and I can't see any reason why I wouldn't get it again. I have only had a complaint or 2 and nothing I couldn't handle. I most definetly have learned quite a bit this season as far as pricing goes. Will be asking a lot more next season. I am also going to propose a 2 year deal.

I am in and out of the place in about 8-8.5 hours depending on conditions. The yards around the home are equivilant to that of a trailer park lawn. I use my 36" walkbehind for about 2 hours, my 60" Z for about another 2 hours, trim takes about 1.75 hours and blowing is anywhere from 45 minutes to an hour depending on if wind has helped me out at all. Oh, I almost forgot, I use my rollerblades to blow the place off, so it doesn't take much more than a half hour to do the pavement. I run to all the walk-out basements.

Fantasy Lawns
09-29-2005, 11:36 PM
$100K for the year

Lawn-Scapes
09-29-2005, 11:42 PM
$100K for the year

Can you break that down for us Steve... :)

Fantasy Lawns
09-30-2005, 12:43 AM
Sure .... fore me .... 42 cuts at round $665 - $750 per cut (n this is 20hrsx$35 per hr ... so those whom live in the $1 per minute world would need $2100 per cut)

Any-who ...this just basic service (yearly) at round $30k for grass .... 6 squirts n ferts at .... say $1.5K per or $9K yearly ... Mulch 2x per year ... @$50 per yard (blown in ... I pay $35 per yard to my sub) .... lets just say that this is total of 150 yds yearly or $2250 in my pocket ... least $2k .... n this is guess if its +200 yrds yearly ...it's more fore me

6-4 Hedging at who knows what ... but lets just say $2k per event or $12K yearly ... general hand weeding of beds at $35 per hr .... or say least 15-20% of normal mowing time ... yearly was 840 estimated hrs .... so 170hrs of hand weeding is another $6K per year ...

Ssoo I'm at $30+9+(mulch is a little funky 150 their cost would be $5K)+12+6 = $62K .... I like (n who doesn't 20% profit .... which is what another $12-15K .... so I'm at $74K per year ...

n I haven't even done my Spring or Fall clean Up's ... Leaf removal ...n fore some ....Aerations

Granted this is maybe NOT what the HOA needs or even wants .... but is would be presented as options which they could .... chose or not chose to use

Even more so this is ALL guess .... each bid .... depends on equipment set-up, employee base, local & state economic factors, (insurance, rent, WC etc.) n sssoo many other variables ...

But I will admit this is one of the first "how much" threads ... which have photos ... what a change .... an over-head aerial would be good .... n general front, side n back yards to get over-all sense of beds, shrubs etc.

jtkplc
01-27-2006, 03:29 PM
I got the 2-year bid I proposed, but not for the money I proposed, which was a few dollars short of $19,000. They told me that they couldn't justify a 100% price increase so I either had to negotiate or they were going with someone else. They didn't want to lose me and I didn't want to lose them. I also saw other bids from years past that were around $7,000. I thought my original price was low at just under $10,000. I don't know how they would do that.

Anyways, 2006 I will get $13,500 and 2007 I will get $15,000, but that number is still negotiable. Which is about 40-55% more than 2005. So I'm happy and they're happy.

mikefromny
01-27-2006, 03:43 PM
how much would u charge for something the oppisite 22 units (townhouses)packed together and not that much grass maybe the size of 3 reg suburban homes , maybe 1 hr to do the place

jtkplc
01-27-2006, 05:46 PM
how much would u charge for something the oppisite 22 units (townhouses)packed together and not that much grass maybe the size of 3 reg suburban homes , maybe 1 hr to do the place

I don't like giving these kinds of guesses without seeing a property. Ballpark, $90-$180 a cut. There are so many variables to give an accurate figure.