PDA

View Full Version : 50,000 flyers = ?

Smitty58
12-29-2004, 10:01 PM
If you were to put out 50,000 flyers how many calls would you expect to get? Have you done this before ,and if so how successful was it?

mcclureandson
12-29-2004, 10:06 PM
I've never done more than 2,000 at a time and received about 30 immediate responses...more trickled in, referalls from initial call backs etc...My question is why would you WANT to put out so many at one time? The worst thing you can ever do is get too busy to return calls or schedule all the estimates and work...IMO it is much better to target new neighborhoods with 3-400 at a time, especially once you get a foot in the door. It would be akin to wishing everyone in the area would turn to your yellow pages at at the same time...more is not always better.

grass disaster
12-29-2004, 10:15 PM
my guess is more than 1 and less than 50000 :blob2:

Smitty58
12-29-2004, 10:28 PM
grassmasterLLC - you really gave that some thought didn't you.

newbomb
12-29-2004, 10:36 PM
You will get a call from approximately 3% of your fliers and you should be able to close 1% of your fliers. 1% X 50,000 = 500. Wow! better get new work boots now. On the plus side, if I'm close you should be able to pick and choose and charge good money. - Paul

Drew Gemma
12-29-2004, 11:16 PM
500 guaranteed

JimLewis
12-30-2004, 04:11 AM
Man, I can't even imagine how many calls I'd get from that many flyers. If you put them out at the right time (just when spring is in full swing and stuff is growing fast) you should be able to get between 500-1000 calls easy. But can you handle that many???? I seriously doubt it.

Soupy
12-30-2004, 04:21 AM
If you were to put out 50,000 flyers how many calls would you expect to get? Have you done this before ,and if so how successful was it?

Is there that many homes in your target area? How do you plan on distributing them? USPS?

walker-talker
12-30-2004, 08:02 AM
That's a lot of flyers! I ordered 30,000 just the other day. I have plans for 25,000 of those spread out over 15,000 homes. I am going to have them inserted into neighborhood association newsletters. 9,000 will go to homes once and the other 6,000 homes will get them 3 times over a 3 month period.

JustMowIt
12-30-2004, 09:08 AM
If you were to put out 50,000 flyer's how many calls would you expect to get? Have you done this before ,and if so how successful was it?

We distributed 300,000 last season in 100K increments. The spring ones yielded 1.5 per 1,000 & later in the season 1 per 1,000.

Since we post prices, 95% of calls are ready to sign up.

Smitty58
12-30-2004, 10:04 AM
Well, the 50,000 is a newspaper ad. We have to buy that many if we go with this form of advertising so that is why I posted the question. 500 phone calls would be overwhelming of course ,but we could pick and choose then.

Markf
12-30-2004, 10:33 AM
We distributed 300,000 last season in 100K increments. The spring ones yielded 1.5 per 1,000 & later in the season 1 per 1,000.

I apologize for the this question. However, is that 1% inquiry rate or 1 customer per 1000 inquiry rate? In the past, others have listed their response rates in percentages.
Thank you.

JustMowIt
12-30-2004, 11:42 AM
I apologize for the this question. However, is that 1% inquiry rate or 1 customer per 1000 inquiry rate? In the past, others have listed their response rates in percentages.
Thank you.

Like I said, 95% of them sign up. We do not do the traditional thing of going to look, & give estimate, we have published rates for certain size lots, so they already know the price.

Lux Lawn
12-30-2004, 12:02 PM
50,000 is a lot of flyers I know I could not keep up with the phone calls at even a 1% response if they all hit at one time,not say it can't be done I wish you luck.

walker-talker
12-30-2004, 12:06 PM

What was your method of delivery? Also, did you hit 100K homes 3X (equalling 300K) or 300K different households?

Thanks
Matt

walker-talker
12-30-2004, 12:17 PM
Thank you.The way I understand it, he did not give the actually response rate, but if he received 1.5 customers per 1000 flyers and that was closing on 95% of calls. If he closed on 100% of all calls, that would have gave him a response rate of .0015% or another way of saying it would be, one and a half tenths of one percent. In the fall (or later in the year) he had 1/10th of a percent close on the deal.

I know a lot of people say you sould get 1%-3% response rate, but I have seldom heard anyone that has actually got that. I did some postcards in the spring....very professional looking one at that. They were sent out in the first week of April, what I would have thought to be optimum timing. I received 1/2 response rate. I closed on probably 90% of the calls I received, but only signed 4 people on mowing. That's slightly less than what Justmowing received on his campaign.

Smitty58
12-30-2004, 01:28 PM
So after a little response to the original post I have a question for those who have done similar advertising. Was it worth it? Even if you only got 1/10 of 1% ,did the income you received from it make it worth it.

The other thought I had was this, what if you could buy 50 customers (mowing) which would be 1/10 of 1% on 50,000. What would that be worth? In other words what would you pay for 50 customers?

Lux Lawn
12-30-2004, 02:20 PM
So after a little response to the original post I have a question for those who have done similar advertising. Was it worth it? Even if you only got 1/10 of 1% ,did the income you received from it make it worth it.

The other thought I had was this, what if you could buy 50 customers (mowing) which would be 1/10 of 1% on 50,000. What would that be worth? In other words what would you pay for 50 customers?

I think if you got 1/10 then it would be worth it.I also believe that advertising like you are in the newspaper there is so many other ads in there that sometimes they may get over looked but if you go with the 50,000 you are talking about thats a lot of flyer's you will get your share of calls thats for sure.

By the way I am no expert on this,some of the other guys here do a lot more advertising then me thats for sure. Just wanted to throw that in.

walker-talker
12-30-2004, 03:07 PM
You ask is it worth it? Just depends on what you are spending and what you are receiving. I will let you be the judge of that! I spent $2K for those 5,000 postcards. I roughly paid $500 for each mowing customer. Each customer brought in roughly $1000 for the year. Of course you could calculate if they sign for another year, it would bring that purchasing price down to $250 a year. If they sign on a year after that, it brings the purchasing price down to $166 a year.....and so on. If they lead to referalls, that could bring the purchasing price down further or if they request other services (which 3 of the 4 new ones did). To me $500 for a customer is A LOT of money.

You hear of people buying people out all the time and estimated purchasing prices for a client base. For about the same price as those 2K postcards I am able to send out 25,000 flyers......that's 5X as many households for roughly the same price. I could save even more money if I was to hand deliver all those flyers.

What would you pay for a customer?

tiedeman
12-30-2004, 04:19 PM
I would expect for you to hear anywhere from 1 to 3% of those, so you should hear from about 500 to 1,500

Smitty58
12-30-2004, 04:32 PM
walker-talker- good post. You have answered the question great. Now if we got 50 customers out of 50,000 flyers and the cost was $60 per customer (50 x $60) would you say that was a good deal. I think it's a no brainer plus like you said the referral's and additional years service bring that figure down as well.

To me advertising is something a lot of lco's don't spend enough time and money on. Maybe word of mouth gets them all the business they want ,but you see a lot of posts on "how to get more business". - ADVERTISE -

walker-talker
12-30-2004, 04:40 PM
Yeah...I see a lot of people saying they get most, if not all new business from referals. All I can say is I must be doing business with a bunch of mutes' because I get very little referals. In the last 4 years, I have only been "fired" twice and one of those called be back half way through the season. She was a PITA and I was looking for a way to dump her anyway...so big loss. For starting out or want to expand at a high rate, advertising is must. Once you have a client base of 60 or 70, then maybe the referals come more often....or if you have a tight route in one given neighborhood referals will come more often. But for now, advertising is just part of doing business.

Lux Lawn
12-30-2004, 04:41 PM
That's a lot of flyers! I ordered 30,000 just the other day. I have plans for 25,000 of those spread out over 15,000 homes. I am going to have them inserted into neighborhood association newsletters. 9,000 will go to homes once and the other 6,000 homes will get them 3 times over a 3 month period.

Matt
How do you pass out the remain flyers by mail or on foot?

Soupy
12-30-2004, 04:47 PM
50,000 flyer's. I hope you have a great flyer or you could be wasting time and money. I hope you are having these professionally designed.

A bad flyer will take a million copies (i'm guessing) to get the results of 50,000 good flyer's.

Smitty58
12-30-2004, 04:49 PM
We have our share of mutes here also because we have not got referrals for mowing. I have a pretty good list of referrals from my deck building though. I guess there are still a lot of people who do not look at lawn maintenance as a "real job" unlike other things they need done such as building a deck.
It has not been my practice to advertise either ,but we are going to try to expand this year and it seems like the way to really jump start a business.

I would like to hear other stories of how well advertising paid off.

walker-talker
12-30-2004, 04:50 PM
Matt
How do you pass out the remain flyers by mail or on foot?That's a good question Larry...I don't know. Orginally I had only planned on buying 25,000 and this would leave me about 600 left to be a little more accurate. About a week before I was going to order them I recevied an email from 48 hour print promoting 20% any single order, thus going to save me about $350. I decided then and there to put that money back into ordering more flyers....5,000 and still saving a little money. I have been thinking of just passing out by hand, by that I mean rolling them up and put them on door handles or sliding them in the cracks of doors. In the spring we have a lawn and garden show downtown. I might stand out there and pass them out....as long as I can get away with it. I might put them in a summer edition of a neighborhood newsletter. I honestly considered buying 50,000 since I was saving a lot (20%), but didn't want to spend a lot of money on flyers I might not even need this year.

Lux Lawn
12-30-2004, 04:51 PM
Hey Soupy where did you get your forms made up?

Soupy
12-30-2004, 05:52 PM
Hey Soupy where did you get your forms made up?

http://quickprint.com/custom_imprinted_discount_carbonless_business_forms.htm

Lux Lawn
12-30-2004, 06:00 PM
http://quickprint.com/custom_imprinted_discount_carbonless_business_forms.htm
Thanks buddy I remember seeing them when you posted them a while back.

Soupy
12-30-2004, 06:04 PM
The above link is were we get our carbon-less forms printed. For Door-hangers and business cards we used www.postcardwarehouse.com . For Business card magnets we used www.vistaprint.com (they have good prices for magnets).

We also use these for some marketing http://www.rndsigns.com/door.htm

We use a local printer or a laser printer (depending on quantity needed) when we run our black on yellow flyer's. We use these flyer's for quick promotion such as aerations. Color is great but if you have the right flyer a black ink flyer will produce just as good results. I have always said that a good add in blank will produce better results then a poor ad in color.

Hope this helps.

Lux Lawn
12-30-2004, 06:10 PM
Yes it does help thank you,not sure how much I am going to advertise in the spring with flyer's but I will do some.Do you like the black ink on yellow better then a light green color paper?

Soupy
12-30-2004, 06:20 PM
Yes it does help thank you,not sure how much I am going to advertise in the spring with flyer's but I will do some.Do you like the black ink on yellow better then a light green color paper?

I think for the cost, it is best to use black on color paper. But I recommend a glossy full color ad for larger ad campaigns.

Lux Lawn
12-30-2004, 06:29 PM
Last year I put 10,000 black inc flyers in the local newspaper and I may try that again.Also this year I am thinking about a few thousand full color to be passed out by hand.Its hard to commit to passing out by hand sometimes because after the snow melts I like to get a start on clean-ups.

JustMowIt
12-31-2004, 01:01 PM
What was your method of delivery? Also, did you hit 100K homes 3X (equalling 300K) or 300K different households?

Thanks
Matt

We use a local distributer. The 300K was a mixture of 1 time hits & also later in the season. Bear in mind that the distributer has other advertisers on the same drops.

In 2005, we plan to hit every household in our service area, every month February thru August which will require 1 million hangers. This will produce about 1,000 new sign ups. We have learned that most lawn guys do enough hangers to fill their routes in early spring, then quit, so home owners do not get many hangers later in the season. We are eager to add trucks as necessary all season. We have also learned that the important factors with hangers is timing. It does not matter who's hanger it is, or what it sez, if the homeowner has it on their mind when they see the hanger, it is a sale!

For the guy that started this thread was going to distribute 50,000 VIA the newspaper, we do not think you will get near the results as a hanger on the door.

Lux Lawn
12-31-2004, 01:09 PM
We have learned that most lawn guys do enough hangers to fill their routes in early spring, then quit, so home owners do not get many hangers later in the season. We are eager to add trucks as necessary all season.

Thats is very true I know almost every year I am just about booked solid my May 1st in less somebody ask's me and is right next door to where we all ready are or very close.

Carolina Cutter
12-31-2004, 01:15 PM

How can you pre post prices? I have never seen 2 yards that are the same. What if you arrive and the yard is on a serious slope? Or worse. There's no way to tell what you are getting beforehand.

walker-talker
12-31-2004, 02:30 PM
I am considering putting prices on the flyer it's self also. In my case, I am going to make sure they, the reader, knows it's just an average price (probably $25) and not an actual quote. This will weed out the ones calling thinking I am going to come over and give them an estimate for less than average price. It will also bring in some of the readers that are paying more for their service and/or are not happy with their current lawn care provider.

JustMowIt
12-31-2004, 03:00 PM
How can you pre post prices? I have never seen 2 yards that are the same. What if you arrive and the yard is on a serious slope? Or worse. There's no way to tell what you are getting beforehand.

First of all, we do not mow ourselves which makes a difference. Our prices are based on the lot size. We look the gross lot size up on the internet & our prices go with size before any improvements. Our agreement with our crews that we pay per yard, is to go with the average. Some are front only, some are 12,000 gross feet & many are 6,000 feet, but once they are there, there is not more than 5 min. difference. yes, occasionally, there is a surprise, but it is much easier to mow it 1 time for less then market, then call them with another price, than the time & money it would take for us to drive to every phone call, plus if you meet them personally, you have a better chance of them talking you down in price; or agreeing to do some little extra. We give them a price (take it or leave it" & most callers take it, becasue we can be there tomorrow & they are tired of shopping. We try to make ordering lawn service as easy as driving up to McDonalds, seeing the menu/prices & ordering.
MJ

Soupy
12-31-2004, 06:39 PM
First of all, we do not mow ourselves which makes a difference. Our prices are based on the lot size. We look the gross lot size up on the internet & our prices go with size before any improvements. Our agreement with our crews that we pay per yard, is to go with the average. Some are front only, some are 12,000 gross feet & many are 6,000 feet, but once they are there, there is not more than 5 min. difference. yes, occasionally, there is a surprise, but it is much easier to mow it 1 time for less then market, then call them with another price, than the time & money it would take for us to drive to every phone call, plus if you meet them personally, you have a better chance of them talking you down in price; or agreeing to do some little extra. We give them a price (take it or leave it" & most callers take it, becasue we can be there tomorrow & they are tired of shopping. We try to make ordering lawn service as easy as driving up to McDonalds, seeing the menu/prices & ordering.
MJ

Can you explain more about paying by the yard? If the employee gets to a lawn and it is much bigger, do you give them the pay of the larger lawn? I know TGCL gives a tech credit to their employees if they under price a lawn.

I would think this would cause problems with american employees because they will make the same price on a 6k lawn as they would on a 13k lawn. I don't see how that is fair at all. I guess it would be possible to come up with a pay scale by 1k and then charge per 1k. This way every lawn is different.

Like maybe charge $3 per K and pay the employee .75 per K. On the flyer's you could have a minimum K and then list the charge for each addition K. I still see problems with employees complaining about this 10K lawn takes twice as long as this 10K lawn.

I would like to hear your thoughts. I will not hire non-citizen workers (I believe in made in american) so I wonder how this might work for us.

JustMowIt
12-31-2004, 07:54 PM
Can you explain more about paying by the yard? If the employee gets to a lawn and it is much bigger, do you give them the pay of the larger lawn? I know TGCL gives a tech credit to their employees if they under price a lawn.

I would think this would cause problems with american employees because they will make the same price on a 6k lawn as they would on a 13k lawn. I don't see how that is fair at all. I guess it would be possible to come up with a pay scale by 1k and then charge per 1k. This way every lawn is different.

Like maybe charge $3 per K and pay the employee .75 per K. On the flyer's you could have a minimum K and then list the charge for each addition K. I still see problems with employees complaining about this 10K lawn takes twice as long as this 10K lawn.

I would like to hear your thoughts. I will not hire non-citizen workers (I believe in made in american) so I wonder how this might work for us.

I dont know how much better we could explain it except, yes, if a lot is between 12K & 16K, we pay our crew 1.5 & don't mow any yards larger. You ask, is it fair?? Well, we have plenty of good drivers working for others that are waiting to work for us, so they can earn $800 to $900 per 5 day week & be legal with an H2B Visa. So, whether you view it fair does not make any difference to us if our employees are happy. We service over 2,000 customers with 36 guys, maybe 3 to 5 calls for redo's in an entire week, no supervisers on the payroll, hardly any turnover, so we certainly would not be interested in changing to your suggestions.

I do agree that regular american;s would see all kinds of unfairness, so it probably would not work for you.
MJ

Soupy
12-31-2004, 09:47 PM
I dont know how much better we could explain it except, yes, if a lot is between 12K & 16K, we pay our crew 1.5 & don't mow any yards larger. You ask, is it fair?? Well, we have plenty of good drivers working for others that are waiting to work for us, so they can earn $800 to $900 per 5 day week & be legal with an H2B Visa. So, whether you view it fair does not make any difference to us if our employees are happy. We service over 2,000 customers with 36 guys, maybe 3 to 5 calls for redo's in an entire week, no supervisers on the payroll, hardly any turnover, so we certainly would not be interested in changing to your suggestions.

I do agree that regular american;s would see all kinds of unfairness, so it probably would not work for you.
MJ

Oh no, I wasn't giving you suggestions that I thought you should try. I was speaking out-loud to what might work for an american work force. I believe that the over all pay is fair, but I know when workers make one amount for a 5k lawn they are not going to like doing the 10k lawn for the same money. I understand that you have two pay scales depending on size, but spoiled americans are going to want closer sizes in the pay scale.

I will hire any american no matter what race. I just won't send american money to another country. In my eyes that is the same as sending the work overseas. So I am stuck trying to figure a way that might work in this country.

sbvfd592
01-01-2005, 11:40 AM
depends on who has the market

Ric
01-01-2005, 12:51 PM
Justmowit

I am interested in any thing you might have to say about promoting sales.

Now not unlike a buddy of mine who was an account and went into the tree business. (BTW he still can't run a chain Saw.) I see your operation as a marketing/bookkeeping/legal service that specializes in Lawn mowing.

Now I am one who never did a lot of advertising in the past. However after all the hurricanes that hit Florida this year, I need to increase my customer base.

1. So are flyers the most cost effective method of adverting for your operation?

2. Does the Yellow pages not help to back up your flyers campaign?

3. Do you also use new paper--penny pincher- coupon book Advertisement also?

4. What is your cost per customer acquired??

Tom Gs
01-01-2005, 01:08 PM
Flyers is the only way to significantly increase your customer base.

Ric
01-01-2005, 01:16 PM
Flyers is the only way to significantly increase your customer base.

What about Postcards????

Five Diamond Lawns
01-01-2005, 01:51 PM
Let's talk about flyer's distribution.
I have done a lot of flyer's in the last couple years and my biggest problem is finding someone to put them out.
I have only found one young, honest, hard working person and he's gone off to college. Everyone else I have try-ed have been to slow or I find them in a dumpster. :dizzy:

Smitty58
01-01-2005, 02:02 PM
Anyone ever use newspaper ads instead of flyers? What has been your experience with that?

JustMowIt
01-01-2005, 06:53 PM
Justmowit

I am interested in any thing you might have to say about promoting sales.

Now not unlike a buddy of mine who was an account and went into the tree business. (BTW he still can't run a chain Saw.) I see your operation as a marketing/bookkeeping/legal service that specializes in Lawn mowing.

Now I am one who never did a lot of advertising in the past. However after all the hurricanes that hit Florida this year, I need to increase my customer base.

1. So are flyers the most cost effective method of adverting for your operation?

2. Does the Yellow pages not help to back up your flyers campaign?

3. Do you also use new paper--penny pincher- coupon book Advertisement also?

4. What is your cost per customer acquired??

No referral fees, coupans, newspapers, just a good blend of door hangers & phone books. Average is $100 per customer.

gogetter
01-02-2005, 02:30 AM
Anyone ever use newspaper ads instead of flyers? What has been your experience with that?

That's really gonna vary a lot from area to area. There are a TON of ads in my local paper in spring/summer. So when I've done an ad (and I'm talking about a small 5-6 line ad in the classifieds section, not a display ad), I usually average 1 to 2 calls per day and the ad runs for 28 days.
But the problem I have is I get calls from all over the place. Some are just too far.
This is why I really like flyers, because I can pick the neighborhoods, and keep everything close and tight.

But as Five Diamond Lawns said, getting someone reliable to put them out is a pain.
There are companies you can hire to do it for you, but they are kinda rare and not in all areas.
There's a company I found online that does it for several states. I may be using them next season. The only thing I don't like is they want to do them all in one day, and I'd really rather spread it out over say 4 to 6 weeks.
I lost my bookmarks, so I'll have to do a search to find their site again. I'll post it when I find it for those that may be interested.

gogetter
01-02-2005, 03:14 AM
Here's one of the flyer distribution companies that I had found.

http://ableis.biz/flyersby1000/

Here's another site to find one in your state:

http://flyerdistibution.webshq.com/directory.php3

DFW Area Landscaper
01-02-2005, 09:28 AM
Justmowit,

Not sure if you are still following this thread or not. But I do have a very serious question that's been eating at me for a long, long time.

I understand on a regular $19.95/week account, you pay your crew $10.00. The break down is, if I recall correctly, $4.50 for the driver and $2.75 for each ride along.

If you are able to get 37 lawns in a single day, that's good money for the driver. 37 X $4.50 = $166.50 If the driver can get that 5 days per week, he's making fairly good money...$830/week.

But the ride along guys, while clearly more disposable, are only making $101.75 for the day.

I'm guessing a three man crew would struggle, with drive time, to finish 37 lawns in under 13 hours. Maybe I'm way wrong. But that's my optimistic guess. Anyway, the ride along guys are making very little.

Do you have problems with churn amongst the ride along guys? When they no-show in the morning, how do you normally solve that problem?

Thanks and good luck in '05,
DFW Area Landscaper

JustMowIt
01-02-2005, 11:15 AM
Justmowit,

Not sure if you are still following this thread or not. But I do have a very serious question that's been eating at me for a long, long time.

I understand on a regular $19.95/week account, you pay your crew $10.00. The break down is, if I recall correctly, $4.50 for the driver and $2.75 for each ride along.

If you are able to get 37 lawns in a single day, that's good money for the driver. 37 X $4.50 = $166.50 If the driver can get that 5 days per week, he's making fairly good money...$830/week.

But the ride along guys, while clearly more disposable, are only making $101.75 for the day.

I'm guessing a three man crew would struggle, with drive time, to finish 37 lawns in under 13 hours. Maybe I'm way wrong. But that's my optimistic guess. Anyway, the ride along guys are making very little.

Do you have problems with churn amongst the ride along guys? When they no-show in the morning, how do you normally solve that problem?

Thanks and good luck in '05,
DFW Area Landscaper

First, let me say that we do not mow many yards for $19.95. The Cheep Cheep hangers last year (no bush work) appealed to the cheap segment of people that selected bi-weekly at $24.95 which blended nicely with our parent company rates of $25 weekly & $30 bi-weekly. Our blended average was $26.85.

Our driver are paid $4.75 & $5.00 for drivers that have been with us through 1 full season without any weeks off, going to Mexico early etc. If the driver wants to continue with us, it is his responsibility to have helpers on his crew every morning on time, no excuses. Most of our guys are related in some way, ie grew up together, brothers, cousins etc., so they trade around themselves to insure that helpers are there & sometimes TJ doesnt even know that who showed up in the mornings. TJ demands a simple life!
Since our routes are very tight, your 13 hours estimate is off.

Since we share the same market, you should know that we are raising our rates in 2005, on all new customers by $1.00 due to the gas prices.
Regards,
Mike Justice

Grass Gator
01-02-2005, 11:37 AM
Just Mow It -

First of all.....great operation. I am truly amazed by your business model and have spent many sleepless nights lately wondering if it would work up here North of the Red River.

My question is.....employee compensation. Do you pay everyone the same (meaning drivers vs. regular workers). Also, I've read in posts you pay by the yard....about how much per yard do you pay each guy.

Thanks again bud!

PS....Enjoy Hawaii.....which island are you going to?

JustMowIt
01-02-2005, 01:57 PM
Just Mow It -

First of all.....great operation. I am truly amazed by your business model and have spent many sleepless nights lately wondering if it would work up here North of the Red River.

My question is.....employee compensation. Do you pay everyone the same (meaning drivers vs. regular workers). Also, I've read in posts you pay by the yard....about how much per yard do you pay each guy.

Thanks again bud!

PS....Enjoy Hawaii.....which island are you going to?

All is answered in the previous post. Maui, the take day trips to others.

DFW Area Landscaper
01-02-2005, 03:20 PM
++++If the driver wants to continue with us, it is his responsibility to have helpers on his crew every morning on time, no excuses++++

Bingo. I see what you're saying. That's the way I've been doing things ever since the back injury in September.

Later,
DFW Area Landscaper

ed2hess
01-02-2005, 04:43 PM

Do you hit the same potential customers more than once with the door hangers and how often? Can I assume you use same doorhanger each time or do you change it up? We think that it can be beneficial to keep at a target area over and over maybe monthly in the late Jan to April. Do you have any thought on this? We are targeting about the same price customers as you are!

JustMowIt
01-02-2005, 05:04 PM
Do you hit the same potential customers more than once with the door hangers and how often? Can I assume you use same doorhanger each time or do you change it up? We think that it can be beneficial to keep at a target area over and over maybe monthly in the late Jan to April. Do you have any thought on this? We are targeting about the same price customers as you are!

I think your area is about the same as ours (not many lawn guys requiring contracts) where the people must be seeing grass that needs mowing before they are in the mood. So we start around 2/15 to 3/1 depending on weather & keep hanging until 9/1, same people, same flyer.

Grass Gator
01-02-2005, 05:04 PM
Thanks JustMowIt

Enjoy Hawaii.....been to Four Seasons in Wailea many times. Hawaii is the best place on earth!

A Perfect Shine
01-22-2005, 08:16 PM
Let's talk about flyer's distribution.
I have done a lot of flyer's in the last couple years and my biggest problem is finding someone to put them out.
I have only found one young, honest, hard working person and he's gone off to college. Everyone else I have try-ed have been to slow or I find them in a dumpster. :dizzy:

We fire ALL KINDS of people for pulling this stuff. My employees know I'm not messin around, if they pull that crap, I will find out and they will be gone.

-Chris

Flex-Deck
01-22-2005, 10:19 PM
If I put out 50,000 flyers, the most frequent call I would get would be from my bank wanting to know how I was going to pay for the loan on printing and delivering. LOL :blob3: :rolleyes:

coastallandscapesolutions
01-23-2005, 10:23 AM
Check out this thread I just started.

http://www.lawnsite.com/showthread.php?t=93665

coastallandscapesolutions
01-23-2005, 10:32 AM
Something else to think about. If you print off 50,000 flyer's and you go door to door like someone emailed me and suggested, how much time is that going to take? What is your time worth? Most people figure what their hourly rate is when cutting grass. Right. Say it's $40 per hour. So when you are out going door to door you should figure your time at the same rate because if you were not out handling out flyer's then you would be cutting grass. Is it worth it to you to spend 8 hours out handing out flyer's, $320 for the day or just have someone mail them for you. How many can you hand out in a day and how many days would it take you?

Just something to think about.

Jeff@SGLC.ca
01-23-2005, 01:26 PM
I've flyered in the past with good results and will flyer again this year. I prefer to give my lil cousins the pay and have them go out and deliver along with myself.

I don't like the distribution companies since they also have 5-30 other fl yers in with yours...I feel they get lost in the pile.

As far as mailing goes....I usually throw anything away that is not a company I deal with or a bill I pay.

I have 4-5 housing developments I'd like to hit this year....1000 houses min per. A couple new, smaller high scale housimg developments as well.