PDA

View Full Version : hedger and blower not running well

Schlepie
12-29-2004, 10:24 PM
I've got a Stihl blower and hedge trimmer. The blower wants to always cut out when I am putting it on. The hedger runs rough and wants to cut out when I turn it on its side. The dealer will work on them, but unless I sit there with them, they put me in line with all the other non-commercial customers. Without taking the carb off and overhauling and cleaning, can I run carb cleaner in the gas tank and flush thru the system using the priming bulb? Then refill with fresh gas. All plugs and filters are new. The blower doesn't have a primer so how can this be done here.

Thanks

Schlep :help:

mownredneck
12-29-2004, 10:42 PM
Sound like there is something in the carb. That wount work yull have to take the carb of and clean it. I usually spray it out with carb cleaner or you can blow it out with an air hose. Be sure to take the top and bottom off and clean the screens off. Hope this helps you.

Dig-it Landscaping
12-29-2004, 10:45 PM
i have had the same problem with backpack blowers before my mechanic says check the electrical shut off switch for corrosion loosness or crossed wires. or the wires going from it to the mower.

grassworks
12-30-2004, 12:16 AM
aside from verifying the mix ratio, I would definately check out the spark arrestor (chambor on muffler) these are subject to clogging and bogging down the whole system . Happens all the time.....

ALarsh
12-30-2004, 12:44 AM
Itís kind of odd that both of them are acting up at the same time. Are you sure it isn't the oxygenated fuel for winter?

Oldtimer
12-30-2004, 11:04 AM
Sounds like a fuel problem.

If you have any Amoco or BP stations try their mid grade fuel and be sure to use 50.1 or 100.1 oil mixed according to directions.

You could also check for alcohol in your current fuel.

Oldtimer

Richard Martin
12-30-2004, 12:24 PM
Itís kind of odd that both of them are acting up at the same time. Are you sure it isn't the oxygenated fuel for winter?

You beat me to it.

I suggest mixing up a fresh gallon of mid-grade fuel mixed with non-synthetic oil (if you are using it) and try that before anything else. If you are already using midgrade try hi-test.

Albemarle Lawn
12-30-2004, 06:59 PM
Dump Stihl
Get Redmax
Problem Solved.

More free advice:
Dump Ford
Dump Dodge
Get GM

Oh no I'm going from an unjaded young buck to an opinionated old man ;)

Travis Followell
12-30-2004, 07:13 PM
Thats an irrelevant comment. If the gas was bad or not mixed incorrectly a Redmax would act up too.

Norm Al
12-30-2004, 07:15 PM
purchase some backups!

cush
12-31-2004, 03:04 AM
how old are they