PDA

View Full Version : Anyone ever chop up a customers TV cable?

pjslawncare/landscap
12-29-2004, 10:17 PM
Ive been tempted after the third or fourth mowing and the cable company hasnt been back to bury it. Is anyone less patent than I? what came of it?

Tn Lawn Man
12-29-2004, 10:22 PM
I have no idea what you just said.

bobbygedd
12-29-2004, 10:23 PM
yes, i've chopped up hoses, cable wires, extention cords, shoes, and jewelery. they shouldn't have been in the lawn. i never mentioned any of them, except for the extention cord. i left it in pieces, on the front steps, with a note: "you're damn lucky i didn't get electrocuted." never heard anything about the cable wire when i did that either. screw em, there is a state/city code for how deep the cable is supposed to be buried, they are not supposed to be on the surface

LAWN-BOYZ
12-29-2004, 10:26 PM
I have three times. Each time I just went to the local hardware store and fixes the cable myself. Customers need their cable fixed pronto, or they can get quite irate :mad: - I have no time for the cable company!

exmarkjockey
12-29-2004, 10:54 PM
Yeah, that drives me nuts too. Around here the cable company will sometimes go months before they will come back and bury the line. Why they don't just go ahead and do it while they are there I have no idea.

newbomb
12-29-2004, 11:05 PM
I have to agree with Bobby on this one. I would try to avoid it but if I don't see it tough luck. Running over a bunch of stuff is hard on the mower but what can you do? I have chopped a cable tv line in half working in a flower bed once. Just fix it and keep rolling. -Paul

JKOOPERS
12-29-2004, 11:58 PM
I WAS AREATING my yard this fall and hit the cable line . i called the cable co and told them they had idots working for them and that they had buried the line too shallow . there were out here with in 5 min to fix it

geogunn
12-30-2004, 12:07 AM
yes, I have chopped the TV cable 3-4 times. each at a different location.

once I chopped it and 30 seconds later I saw the cable guy coming toward me on the road.

waved him down and he fixed it on the spot. he gave me some union pieces and an old squeezer tool to keep in case I ever hit another.

I tried to thank him but he just laughed and said I would be doing him a favor.

GEO

Stephen M.
12-30-2004, 12:08 AM
Ive been tempted after the third or fourth mowing and the cable company hasnt been back to bury it. Is anyone less patent than I? what came of it?

Too many times to count on both hands. Most of the time its a free fix; or at least I never had to pay for it. One condo we used to work had the cable strung over one of the lawns and it stayed there for over 6 weeks as a "temporary fix". After having a guy hold the wire up each week so the mower could get under, I gave the landscape chair the choice of getting the cable company out to bury it, or we were going to run over it and screw the people who were ultimately affected. The cable was buried by the next visit.

bettergrass
12-30-2004, 12:17 AM
i chopped one with the weed wacker....the homeowner called me and i asked for the cable companys number...i called them and told them what happend, they fixed it the next day

tx_angler
12-30-2004, 12:18 AM
Yeah, that drives me nuts too. Around here the cable company will sometimes go months before they will come back and bury the line. Why they don't just go ahead and do it while they are there I have no idea.

Years ago I worked as a contract cable installer. We never buried the cable - there's another crew that does that. Phone company is the same way - their installers don't bury cable, either.

In 1982, on one install late in the afternoon the lady was cooking dinner. I was working in a bedroom and drilled a 3/8" hole through to the outside of the house to pull cable inside. When I got outside I couldn't find the drill bit and after an extensive search I located it. I had drilled straight into the back of a natrual gas meter. Gas fumes were everywhere so I immediately shut off the meter and told the lady what happened and then called the gas company. I finished the install, gave the lady $20 for supper for her and the kids and left. I figured I'd get a bill from the gas company for the meter and labor to replace it but the bill never arrived. I also didn't call to see if they forgot about it. :p

imalandscper
12-30-2004, 12:22 AM
man i have hit cable lines, phone lines, water lines(sprinkler systems)(the 2inch main feed lines shoot like gysers!!!), and a gas line(that was fricken scary). cable lines are the most common though. hit em and call the cable company!

JimLewis
12-30-2004, 03:05 AM
I have three times. Each time I just went to the local hardware store and fixes the cable myself. Customers need their cable fixed pronto, or they can get quite irate - I have no time for the cable company!

We install irrigation systems. So yah, we've hit cable. Even when they mark it, it's always possible to hit it, even when you know where it is and you're trenching very carefully.

It's no big deal. Like LAWN-BOYZ said, just go fix it yourself. If you don't know how, go down to Radio Shack. They'll get you everything you need for under $30 and teach you how to splice it properly too.

man i have hit cable lines, phone lines, water lines(sprinkler systems)(the 2inch main feed lines shoot like gysers!!!), and a gas line(that was fricken scary).

Yah, we hit cable all the time. (The cable co. almost NEVER burries it at the proper depth) and we've hit phone a few times. I've ran into power two times, but we didn't cut it. It was in a nice thick conduit both times, fortunately. But I still haven't hit gas. Man, that would be freakin' scary! I bet the gas co. was out there on the double!!!

cable lines are the most common though. hit em and call the cable company!
I NEVER call the cable company. That's just asking for trouble. If they determine you were to blame, you'll pay hundreds of $$ to get it fixed. Better to just spend a few bucks and half an hour and fix it yourself. Cable splicing is easy once you learn how. Usually, we get it fixed and spliced before the customer ever knows anything happened.

captaingreen
12-30-2004, 08:56 AM
I was installing a bed along the side of one of my customer's homes last year, had to use a sod cutter to remove the fescue about 10' away from the house and a length of 60'. I talked to the util. guys and was good to go, the depth was only one and half inches so I thought, hey no worries, wrong, I shaved the cable line all to pieces. I let the customers know and talked to the cable co., they came out immediatelly and ran a new cable, then came back a few weeks later and buried it. Those guy never bury the cable deep enough, aggravates me to no end, they did the same thing at our house. :angry:

rodfather
12-30-2004, 09:08 AM
I did once prunning some shrubs with my Echo hedge clippers. Didn't even know I did it until a couple of days later when the customer calls to tell me about it. I apologized repeatly and offered to reinburse her for any expense. Then she goes, "Rod, I'm calling to say thanks. This has been the first time in 9 years I've had my husband's attention where he wasn't glued to the TV screen."

Go figure :dizzy:

65hoss
12-30-2004, 09:25 AM
I did once prunning some shrubs with my Echo hedge clippers. Didn't even know I did it until a couple of days later when the customer calls to tell me about it. I apologized repeatly and offered to reinburse her for any expense. Then she goes, "Rod, I'm calling to say thanks. This has been the first time in 9 years I've had my husband's attention where he wasn't glued to the TV screen."

haha

The idiots they sub for this around here never get it really buried. I have a clause in my aerating paperwork that states anything not buried correctly or not properly marked is beyond my ability to control. Occasionally a cable line is hit due to new homes. They may lay the cable on the ground and then lay the sod over it. Who can control that? It may be hit in 75 places after aerating. The cable and phone company will come out free of charge and fix it. Why? Simple, when they see it was cut by something 3" or less they know its their fault for not having it done correctly. If its marked and I cut it...well then I'm the idiot that needs to fix it or pay for it.

GroundKprs
12-30-2004, 10:37 AM
Cable companies try really hard to do it right. On one of mt properties years ago, I got tired of moving the line every mowing, so I strung it up in low tree limbs, hoping client would bug cable company. Must have worked, because a few weeks later they had a contractor on site. Here's the kicker: contractor was a single guy on crutches with a shovel. Wife/girlfriend was there to hold him up while he tried to scratch thru sod to bury cable.

Glad I never had to aerate that one, LOL.

Have killed many cable and phone lines on new residential properties. Some subcontractor is getting paid to bury them properly, and they just lay it out before finish grade is done. If it's still working when homeowner moves in, they've mad e their money and utility is stuck when damages happen later. But that's all part of business: do as little as possible to get paid, and worry about consequences later if things go wrong.

Sure am glad I haven't hit electric or gas lines with aerator, but in general those utilities have not come down to service levels of cable and phone, probably because of higher liability.

Much different responsibilities are on the green industry contractor in installation work as opposed to maintenance work. Most codes require utilities to be 9" to 2' deep, depending on variables. So in regular maintenance you are hardly liable. Landscape and irrigation installation are completely different story.

battags
12-30-2004, 11:04 AM
You name it, I've hit it. Invisible Fences, cable, electic, phone, etc. With all of them, except Invisible Fence, the company has come out to fix it promptly without a word. I think that is because they know it should have been buried deeper.

Invisible Fence is a different story, however. Even though portions of their fence line were ABOVE GROUND on the lawn area, they refused to replace the line for free after I hit it with the aerator. In all, I guess I took 8 plugs out of that line. The customer and I split the cost of the reinstallation. Fortunately they agreed with me that the installer should have had the line deeper or even just buried in the first place.

Brian

Lux Lawn
12-30-2004, 11:12 AM
I had a guy working for me a few years ago who got the same cable wire trimming bushes twice and I got one last year trimming a bush.

jhawk71
12-30-2004, 01:28 PM
I hit an TV cable earlier this year. Called the cable company, they were out before I finished the yard, and fixed it for free. The costumer didn't mind either cause they have 2 cable providers in case one goes out he still can use his Internet.
jhawk71

CamLand
12-30-2004, 01:34 PM
I try and miss them but have trimmed them a bit with the weed wacker.Also have cut one up with the mower when doing fall clean-up.Hard to see them when they are covered in leaves...

Lux Lawn
12-30-2004, 01:39 PM

Sounds like its time for a Christmas bonus from her.

Itsgottobegreen
12-30-2004, 02:25 PM
I have hit them with mowers, trimmers, a shovel, backhoe, trenchmaster, etc. Almost every one of my accounts is 5 years old or less. So I have hit just about everything underground or was suppose to be underground.

tiedeman
12-30-2004, 03:17 PM

I went 2 1/2 years (yup 2 1/2 years) before the cable company come out and buried one of my customers lines. It was a pain in the buttocks. I actually sent my customer a congratulations card for it.

PLM-1
12-30-2004, 04:00 PM
when my parents were getting their pool installed the guy digging it out hit electric, cable tv and phone lines. the guy that marked them didn't know his head from his a$$. weren't even close to being marked in the right place.

richard coffman
12-30-2004, 06:40 PM
I've hit my fair share of cable lines, but would be scared t death if i ever hit a gas line. I'f I'm going to plant any tree or do a bit of digging, I'll cal blue stakes and have them mark where everything is. it's a free service.

Respectfully,

Richard/Owner :D :D :D

all ferris
12-30-2004, 07:32 PM
If the phone or cable company comes out and puts down a temporary drop line and its there more than 3 weeks I start hitting them on porpose. If i didn't it would be months or years before they bury it. If they have to keep comming out to fix it they will eventually bury it. I never do call when I do hit one because then the homeowner has to call and might get on their a$$ to bury the line. It's a pain in the butt to mow around those stupid lines.

dcondon
12-31-2004, 09:39 AM
I went 2 1/2 years (yup 2 1/2 years) before the cable company come out and buried one of my customers lines. It was a pain in the buttocks. I actually sent my customer a congratulations card for it.

Tiedeman, What about your Dad's power cord????? LMAO

tiedeman
12-31-2004, 12:58 PM
that was with the snow blower :)

I didn't know that it was running across the sidewalk for the Christmas lights :)