PDA

View Full Version : "Dressing the wheel"

TJLC
01-26-2001, 12:07 PM
I thought I heard someone here say to dress your grinding wheel after you sharpen each set of blades. What exactly is "dressing the wheel" and where can I get this dressing stone ? Also is there a right or wrong way to do this? Thanks for any help.

Eric ELM
01-26-2001, 12:48 PM
If you have a good grinding wheel, I don't think you need to dress a wheel that often, but that is just my opinion. I have a ceramic wheel sold for my RGB blade grinder. I bought the diamond dresser they sell for it. What this diamond dresser does is gets the wheel cleaned out of an build up, straightens the wheel so it is flat across and also gets it perfectly round. This diamon dresser has a bracket that fits flat on the grinder table and will follow the edge of the table. It has the diamond on an end of a rod that goes through a hole in the bracket. You slid the rod up til it barely hits the wheel and clamp it with a set screw. You then turn on the grinder and move this back and forth across the wheel until it is all cleaned up. I have heard of a dressing stone that must be harder than the grinding stone that is on your grinder, but this ceramic wheel is very hard.

A member up in Canada has one that is around 6 years old and still sharpening blades, so they do last. I sharpen 10 to 12 sets of blades a week, some times more and my wheel still looks new after 1 full season of use.

Sammy
01-26-2001, 03:28 PM
You can get the diamond dresser or the stone at any tool supplier. Not that much $$$

Eric ELM
01-26-2001, 03:52 PM
I guess I didn't answer all of the questions. There is a wrong way to do this too, like having the diamond at a wrong angle to the stone or trying to take to much off of the stone at once. Set it so it just takes a slight bit off at a time and set the diamond at the highest point of the wheel. What I mean by this is to turn the wheel by hand as you hold move the diamond up to the wheel. Once it touches in one spot, tighten the set screw to hold it and turn the wheel by hand some more until you find the highest spot, the spot where the wheel hits. This is only if they are out of round a bit. After starting it up and taking some off the wheel, if you are not hitting the wheel after sliding this across, shut it off and move the diamond closer and do it again. I dress my wheel about 1 once every two or three weeks. If the wheel doesn't seem to be grinding as well as you think it should, the wheel could be loading up with grit or dirt. It also helps to scrape the blades clean before sharpening them to keep the wheel cleaner.

TJLC
01-26-2001, 11:22 PM
Eric, thank you for taking the time to write such a detailed response!