PDA

View Full Version : Hour meters

rodten
12-30-2004, 08:39 AM
I am looking for a good hour meter that I can install on my equipment so that I can keep up with my oil changes, just looking for a good source, any ideas :blob3:

lawnprosteveo
12-30-2004, 08:43 AM
I have been looking for the same.. www.landscapersupply.com has one they sell. I dont know how godd/reliable it is.

Ol'time Lawncare
12-30-2004, 08:44 AM
I am looking for a good hour meter that I can install on my equipment so that I can keep up with my oil changes, just looking for a good source, any ideas :blob3:
>>>>also try J Thomas<<<<< :blob3:

65hoss
12-30-2004, 08:50 AM
http://tinytach.com/tinytach/index.php

I have them on just about everything.

captaingreen
12-30-2004, 09:47 AM
I just bought a new Exmark TTHP about a month ago. I had my dealer install one on it when I bought it, it is a Quartz brand, I think he said it is what comes on the J.D.'s they also sell. They charged something like 40-$50 to install it.

Pecker
12-30-2004, 11:43 AM
Check out www.sendec.com. They make an excellent quality meter and stand behind their product. I know this from first-hand experience with them. Good luck.

BrianK10
12-30-2004, 11:53 AM
Was lookin around Sears for xmas gifts, and they have hour meters for lawn mowers for sale there. Think it was $15.

battags
12-30-2004, 11:58 AM
I've been thinking about this idea myself. I'm not quite sure that I understand how an hourmeter, or more specifically a tach, works with different engines. Do you need to have a tach specific to your engine make and hp produced?

Brian

Pecker
12-30-2004, 12:50 PM
I've been thinking about this idea myself. I'm not quite sure that I understand how an hourmeter, or more specifically a tach, works with different engines. Do you need to have a tach specific to your engine make and hp produced?

Brian

Yes. You'll have to get the tach that is designed to run with your specific type of engine (not necessarily brand and model#). Sendec has alot of different models to choose from and it is easy to pick one out.

rodten
12-30-2004, 01:56 PM
just make sure it will work on 4cycle which is 1 revolution and 2cycle which is 2 revolution
:cool2:

captaingreen
12-30-2004, 02:46 PM
The way it works is (with electric start anyway): once you turn the key, power is supplied to the meter, making it turn and record time, pretty simple. :)

KINGjosh
12-30-2004, 02:54 PM
I was online looking at some . do you have to cut a hole out some where to put them in or what?

captaingreen
12-30-2004, 03:01 PM
I was online looking at some . do you have to cut a hole out some where to put them in or what?
Yes, you will have to drill a hole where your wanting to mount it. I have a TTHP with ECS, it was mounted on the left top side, by the rest of the operator controls.

walker-talker
12-30-2004, 03:22 PM

This is what I have and will recommend them also.

rodten
12-30-2004, 03:26 PM

Brian the tachs are programable, usally a dip switch,
2cycle motors-2revolutions
4cycle motors-1revolution
if you have a 4 cycle motor that you are going to install it on set the tach for 1 revolution or 2 cycle at 2 revolution , hope this helps

J.Gordon
12-30-2004, 03:28 PM

I use the Tiny Tach also, well worth the money.

65hoss
12-30-2004, 03:45 PM
The way it works is (with electric start anyway): once you turn the key, power is supplied to the meter, making it turn and record time, pretty simple. :)

Whoa, slow down. You are talking about the factory meters that come on lots of mowers. Aftermarket hour meters/tachs are not the same thing. These are add ons that require not cutting. You can drill holes or just mount with 2 sided tape. They have a ground wire and a wire that goes around the plug wire. When the motor is running it reads the rpms, when it is off it has the hours showing. They do not run just because the key is left on.

Another thing, most factory hour meters don't run when the key is on. Some do, it depends on the type mower. Most of the newer machines have hour meters that are oil pressure related. So even if you leave the key on with the mower off, it will not count false hours. Walker I believe still has the older style of electic (key) related. Some others may also, but most of the newer mowers or most of the mfgs use the oil pressure switch now.

Pecker
12-30-2004, 04:16 PM
They have a ground wire and a wire that goes around the plug wire.

Some don't even have the ground wire. None of my Sendec's do. I think Tinytachs do, or at least the one I had on my atv did (sold it).

captaingreen
12-30-2004, 08:30 PM
Whoa, slow down. You are talking about the factory meters that come on lots of mowers. Aftermarket hour meters/tachs are not the same thing. These are add ons that require not cutting. You can drill holes or just mount with 2 sided tape. They have a ground wire and a wire that goes around the plug wire. When the motor is running it reads the rpms, when it is off it has the hours showing. They do not run just because the key is left on.

Another thing, most factory hour meters don't run when the key is on. Some do, it depends on the type mower. Most of the newer machines have hour meters that are oil pressure related. So even if you leave the key on with the mower off, it will not count false hours. Walker I believe still has the older style of electic (key) related. Some others may also, but most of the newer mowers or most of the mfgs use the oil pressure switch now.

Sometimes it seems like there is always somebody waiting to argue. My dealer is the one that told me this. They sold a new unit to a guy, he left the key turned overnight, next morning he discovered a dead battery with an hour meter that read xx amount of hours, don't remember the number he said, geeeze.

jimslawns
12-30-2004, 08:46 PM
dear Captgreen,

Did you trade off your scag, and if so why? also L&L has those meters but the same thing was about $10-15 less just down at NAPA.

captaingreen
12-30-2004, 08:51 PM
dear Captgreen,

Did you trade off your scag, and if so why? also L&L has those meters but the same thing was about $10-15 less just down at NAPA.
No I still have my Scag Tiger Cub and am very pleased with it. I needed another wb (bigger than my 36") to get on those hilly lawns. I went with the Exmark mostly for the ECS and I like the mulch system, oh I also mow the neighbor of the owner of L&L he asked if I had p*ssed him off since I bought that Scag, started a long conversation and what can I say I like the fella so I went in again to talk mowers with him.

jimslawns
12-30-2004, 09:01 PM
Yeah L&L has always been very good to me as well. I had a scag TT and traded back into a Lazer. Had some service/parts issues with the other local dealer...long story, but in essence good people there, but parts/service problems.

How many of those hr. meters have you had to replace on your machine? I have broken atleast 2 so far. I mounted mine on the left side, it is the round one just like the ones that came on older JD models. Have any of yours gotten moisture in them.

Take care.

?? did they give you a load of trouble when you pulled on their lot with that scag the first time?

captaingreen
12-30-2004, 09:44 PM
Yeah L&L has always been very good to me as well. I had a scag TT and traded back into a Lazer. Had some service/parts issues with the other local dealer...long story, but in essence good people there, but parts/service problems.

How many of those hr. meters have you had to replace on your machine? I have broken atleast 2 so far. I mounted mine on the left side, it is the round one just like the ones that came on older JD models. Have any of yours gotten moisture in them.

Take care.

?? did they give you a load of trouble when you pulled on their lot with that scag the first time?
Haven't had to replace an hour meter yet, but this is my first wb with one on it. My tiger cub was my first mower with a meter, haven't had any moisture build up in it yet.
Ya I expected a big cloud or something to blow over the first time I pulled in L&L's lot with my cub, I walked in kinda slow and just waited for something to happen LOL. No really they just asked why. My scag dealer on the other hand called the first time he seen the new TTHP on my trailer, I think he was a little po'd. I almost felt bad not buying from the guy, we've talked quite a bit and he's given me alot of advice, heck I consider the guy a friend. I did tell him next time I have to buy a rider it will be a Scag from him, and it will be, he has been a great dealer, great support, there's just a few things I found in an Exmark wb I couldn't in the Scag.
P.S. what's the name of your company?

jimslawns
12-30-2004, 10:37 PM
Yeah, I did really like my scag TT, however we had an issue with some parts and Yes they did bend over backwards to try to help. But I can't afford the downtime ya'know. I assume you bought from the dealer west of town, and Mike there was great, However getting parts when you need em is what really what it came down to. Especially something simple (a belt)

You had that scag 36", what is your TC? I have seen it around but just never paid attention to it too much.

take care and happy new year.

I'll shoot you a PM

Lawnchoice
12-30-2004, 11:17 PM
Check these out too. Quite a few things come with Hobbs on them.

http://www.aircraftspruce.com/catalog/inpages/hobbs.php

65hoss
12-30-2004, 11:32 PM
Sometimes it seems like there is always somebody waiting to argue. My dealer is the one that told me this. They sold a new unit to a guy, he left the key turned overnight, next morning he discovered a dead battery with an hour meter that read xx amount of hours, don't remember the number he said, geeeze.
Argue...I think not. I just realized at that moment you were talking about factory mount hour meters not the add-on type like he was asking about. Like I said, most of the mfgs now are using factory hour meters based on oil pressure, not key switch. Call it argue, call it whatever.

Envy Lawn Service
12-30-2004, 11:53 PM
Go with a sendec, tiny tach or a crew boss meter from Cub/Lesco. They have service alerts, ect and also have a tachometer. Important to keep up with those engine RPM's.

Whatever you do, just do not order the hour meter/tachometer from Northern Tool like I did.
Dang thing didn't even look like the item I ordered. It's good and accurate, but slow in keeping up with changing engine RPM's. But the main thing is, the ones from Northern Tool are HUGE!!! Way bigger than a stock meter.

battags
12-30-2004, 11:58 PM

I don't think 65Hoss was trying to argue at all. He was just making a point. I've come to respect his knowledge of mowers and believe he only makes statments based on sound footing. Not that you don't, Captaingreen. I just didn't take his post as argumentative.

Brian

KINGjosh
12-31-2004, 12:05 AM
Haven't had to replace an hour meter yet, but this is my first wb with one on it. My tiger cub was my first mower with a meter, haven't had any moisture build up in it yet.
Ya I expected a big cloud or something to blow over the first time I pulled in L&L's lot with my cub, I walked in kinda slow and just waited for something to happen LOL. No really they just asked why. My scag dealer on the other hand called the first time he seen the new TTHP on my trailer, I think he was a little po'd. I almost felt bad not buying from the guy, we've talked quite a bit and he's given me alot of advice, heck I consider the guy a friend. I did tell him next time I have to buy a rider it will be a Scag from him, and it will be, he has been a great dealer, great support, there's just a few things I found in an Exmark wb I couldn't in the Scag.
P.S. what's the name of your company?

Not to get off topic but was curious what you found to be better with the two? I am deciding between exmark and scag, hydro/wb

captaingreen
12-31-2004, 10:41 AM
Not to get off topic but was curious what you found to be better with the two? I am deciding between exmark and scag, hydro/wb
Mostly I wanted the ECS controls and I also heard a few negatives things about the new "hurricane" mulching system on the scags (read somewhere on LS).

walker-talker
12-31-2004, 02:37 PM
My Jacobsen power seeder has the hour meter wired in throught the key switch. When I had bought it from the dealer he accidently left it on....so it had 22 hours on it before I even took possesion. Then later I left the key on and put on another 30 or 40 hours on it. For the life of me I can't understand why a manufacture would wire the hour meter like this, but they did.