PDA

View Full Version : Honda harmony vs commercial mowers

trulinelandscaping
12-30-2004, 12:34 PM
Any feedback on these mowers. Is the price worth spending on the commercial mowers for honda or would be better to spend money on the harmony series and keep you money working for you on other items. I know the engines are different for both harmony is gcv commercial is gxv but is there a huge difference? Thanks

TClawn
12-30-2004, 01:36 PM
will it be your main mower? or will it be a backup to a bigger one?

cward
12-30-2004, 01:58 PM
Truline,
The harmony will work for a back-up or a trim mower and that's all. I bought one two years ago and used it to trim mow and nothing else. After one season, averaging 20-25 yards per week, it was done. This year I bought an emark metro, it is getting similiar usage and shows ZERO signs of wear. In my opinion, you can buy 1 harmonies a year or 1 commercial mower for many years. In the long run, the commercial will easily pay for itself.

rodten
12-30-2004, 02:29 PM
the exmark or toro 21" mowers are by for the best :waving:

JimLewis
12-30-2004, 02:30 PM
The harmony series are meant for homeowners who mow once per week, not LCOs who mow every day.

I started with Harmonys and soon learned my lesson the hard way.

As a backup mower, just to use a few times per week, you might be okay. But the problem I had with them was the belt kept on falling off. Most of the harmony mowers (at least back when I was using them) are belt driven, not shaft driven. And sitting on a bumpy trailer seemed to make the belt fall off at least once or twice per week. And it's not easy to pull it all apart and put the belt back on. There were lots of other problems too. It was in the shop all the time. 'Course, we were mowing 15 lawns a day with it. And it's not intended for that kind of abuse.

If you are going to be doing some serious mowing (several lawns per day) with it, then you definitely need to go with the commercial mower.

You're in Vancouver? Heck, that's just a stone's throw away. I can take you to a place over near Hillsboro where I get my Honda Commercial Hydros for like $950 or $970. I guarantee you won't find them anywhere else any cheaper. I used to pay $1100 or so before I found this place. Retail price is almost $1200.

Allen's LS
12-30-2004, 04:13 PM
I can take you to a place over near Hillsboro where I get my Honda Commercial Hydros for like $950 or $970. I guarantee you won't find them anywhere else any cheaper. I used to pay $1100 or so before I found this place. Retail price is almost $1200.

$950 or $970 Thats huge. I can't get them for under $1050 plus tax. I'm interested in taking a trip to Oregon. I wish I could remember the place in the old town of Portland. (Great Spanish Coffee) Anyway any info on this place in Hillsboro would be appreciated.

JimLewis
12-30-2004, 05:32 PM
I don't know that they sell them to just anyone for that price. I usually go in and remind them that I have bought mowers from them several times before for $950 and then they usually give me the same deal. The reason I didn't post the name of the shop is because I can't remember their name. It's a honda shop in either cornellius or forest grove. Can't remember which. But they are both very close to Hillsboro.

I'd be glad to take you there one day if you want. Just let me know.

richard coffman
12-30-2004, 06:22 PM
I've got a john deer mower that i use, and it works great. i have a brand new honda mower i bought from sears, top of the line model, it's ok, but woun't use as main mower. better off getting the commercial brand. i broke a wheel on the honda mower i bought and spent 40 something dollars just for the replacment part. commercial mowers are worth their weight in gold.

Respectfully,

Richard/Owner :D :D

Fareway Lawncare
12-30-2004, 06:48 PM
After 15years Honda finally realized their HRC's were Too Heavy and Mulched Like Crap...

There's Finally a New HRC...Wait for it...Don't take deals on the Old Style...I've Seen the New Ones & they May Actually give the Toro/eXmark/Proline/Metro's a Run for the Money.

Allen's LS
12-30-2004, 10:05 PM
Thanks Jim, I appreciate it. How does it work with the tax stuff between Oregon and Washington? My Fiance'/Wife has family down there. Would it be better if one of them bought it? Or shoulld I go ahead and buy it???

What are the new Hondas like that Fareway was talking about? :D

Envy Lawn Service
12-30-2004, 11:05 PM
Envy likes this unit, but doesn't own one because he has little to no use for 21's.

http://www.hondapowerequipment.com/images/model/hrx217hxa-large.jpg

iluvbermuda
12-30-2004, 11:30 PM
Have you got a model# for that one in the pic?

dishboy
12-30-2004, 11:33 PM
Thanks Jim, I appreciate it. How does it work with the tax stuff between Oregon and Washington? My Fiance'/Wife has family down there. Would it be better if one of them bought it? Or shoulld I go ahead and buy it???

What are the new Hondas like that Fareway was talking about? :D

Honda has a new Honda coming out next spring. If you search under Fareway and HRC216 you will find a link in a thread about it.

Envy Lawn Service
12-31-2004, 12:01 AM
Have you got a model# for that one in the pic?

Honda HRX217HXA

Here's a link to it.
http://www.hondapowerequipment.com/ModelDetail.asp?ModelName=HRX217HXA

Dunno that it's considered "Commercial" or not but it's nice!

JimLewis
12-31-2004, 01:13 AM

There isn't any sales tax down here - no matter where you're from or who you are. Nobody pays sales tax. So you don't need to worry about. You can buy it without paying any tax.

There's Finally a New HRC...Wait for it...Don't take deals on the Old Style...I've Seen the New Ones & they May Actually give the Toro/eXmark/Proline/Metro's a Run for the Money.

That sounds VERY interesting. I'd LOVE it if that were true. I'd probably go buy 6 of them this year and sell my existing HRCs.

I hope the mower that Fareway is talking about isn't the HRX machine that Envy is talking about. Because that HRX mower isn't a true commercial mower. And I doubt it would stand up to the 20+ lawns per day abuse that we put them through. Notice they only have a 90 day warranty for commercial use? Big hint right there. True Honda Commercial mowers are warrantied for 1 year for commercial use.

iluvbermuda
12-31-2004, 07:59 AM
I looked at the one in the pic at the link. No, I don't think its considered "commercial", but I kind of have an opinion on that. I bought a "commercial Snapper a few years back and it was trouble from day one. I had a non commercial 21" push Toro and it was great. About That Honda--I don't think it has the GXV engine. Is the one it has still a good engine?

Fareway Lawncare
12-31-2004, 09:12 AM
No it's Not one of those Disposable HRX Units.

http://www.hondanews.com/CatID5000?mid=2004092343889&mime=asc

wallawalla
12-31-2004, 01:58 PM
$950 or $970 Thats huge. I can't get them for under $1050 plus tax. I'm interested in taking a trip to Oregon. I wish I could remember the place in the old town of Portland. (Great Spanish Coffee) Anyway any info on this place in Hillsboro would be appreciated.

I buy mine here in Walla Walla for $950.00. Most guys around here pay $1150-$1200

JimLewis
12-31-2004, 03:34 PM
Thanks for the link Fareway,

Those new Hondas sound amazing! I can't wait to get my hands on one.

I called the biggest Honda Shop in my area - where I get a lot of my maintenance done. They had never even heard of it and had no idea when it would be available.

Sounds awesome though! I wonder how much lighter it is! And I am excited about the opportunity to mulch too!

dishboy
12-31-2004, 04:47 PM
Thanks for the link Fareway,

Those new Hondas sound amazing! I can't wait to get my hands on one.

I called the biggest Honda Shop in my area - where I get a lot of my maintenance done. They had never even heard of it and had no idea when it would be available.

Sounds awesome though! I wonder how much lighter it is! And I am excited about the opportunity to mulch too!

Same here, but they called the Honda rep and sure enough it's coming. I believe they are not going to ship them until old HRC's are sold out so if you want one early spring you will probably have to special order it. In the mean time I am going to run mine since they now mulch great. I doubt the new one will actually weigh that much less as they are sticking with a steel deck and similar tranny. How much weight difference can four composite wheels make?

JimLewis
12-31-2004, 05:36 PM
I doubt the new one will actually weigh that much less as they are sticking with a steel deck and similar tranny. How much weight difference can four composite wheels make?

It's more than just the wheels. The actual deck has been re-engineered to weigh less. Plus, the engine is now aluminum rather than steel. That makes a big difference. So between the wheels, the lighter deck, and the engine, I think that will make a fairly decent difference. It still won't be "light". But I bet it will be noticably lighter.

I am more excited about the twin mulching blades and the fact that they go .5 mph faster. That's pretty cool.

Fareway Lawncare
12-31-2004, 06:31 PM
The Excessive Weight & Poor Mulching was always the Sticking Point on the Old HRC's....& the Reason the Old Suzuki/Prolines Were So Much Better.

Now that Honda's Decreased the Weight...Changed the Deck Design...It Will Mulch Lush Turf Better w/a Single Blade Guaranteed...The Twin Blades are for Normal Growth & Leaves Only....I Will Definately Give the HRC's Another Shot !

Envy Lawn Service
01-01-2005, 12:05 AM
I hate the cut from a 21" mower, but I guess the cut from this one is not to shabby.

http://i.tnpv.us/pv/2003/03/07/HON2003030738285_pv.jpg

I like Honda's handle style also. My commercial Toro is set up similar.

dishboy
01-01-2005, 10:28 AM
It's more than just the wheels. The actual deck has been re-engineered to weigh less. Plus, the engine is now aluminum rather than steel. That makes a big difference. So between the wheels, the lighter deck, and the engine, I think that will make a fairly decent difference. It still won't be "light". But I bet it will be noticably lighter.

I am more excited about the twin mulching blades and the fact that they go .5 mph faster. That's pretty cool.

The push model gets the "aluminum" motor , the self prppelled uses the same motor currently on the HRC 216 self propelled

From the press release.

"Commercial Grade Power
The introduction of push model HRC216PDA will mark the U.S. debut of Honda's GSV160 overhead cam (OHC) engine. Aluminum Uniblock construction reduces weight while maintaining durability and longevity through the use of a cast iron cylinder sleeve, ball bearings on the flywheel side of the crankshaft, and a dual-stage air filter with an oiled pre-filter to increase lifespan in dusty environments. This new engine also delivers more power than was available on the previous push model.

The self-propelled Honda HRC216HXA utilizes Honda's legendary GXV160 engine, and puts power to the rear wheels through a robust shaft drive system. A redesigned version of Honda's unique Hydrostatic Cruise Control transmission increases top drive speed from 3.5 to 4 miles per hour. Additionally, the system allows the operator to infinitely vary the drive speed between 0 and 4 mph, and to gradually phase power in and out when maneuvering around obstacles. The engine transfers power to the blades through the RotoStop(R) System, allowing the user to engage or disengage the blades without having to start or stop the engine. This also is convenient for maintaining drive wheel power while crossing beds, driveways, or other obstacles."

If they can knock off 10lbs I would be happy. With the handlebar positioning the current HRC is balanced better than the Toro and with the rachets on the drive it pulls backwards better. My only complaint [besides stock mulching ability] is that it is hard on wet or shallow rooted turf cultivars because of the weight.

BlackVCG
01-01-2005, 02:08 PM
I don't know that they sell them to just anyone for that price. I usually go in and remind them that I have bought mowers from them several times before for $950 and then they usually give me the same deal. The reason I didn't post the name of the shop is because I can't remember their name. It's a honda shop in either cornellius or forest grove. Can't remember which. But they are both very close to Hillsboro.

I'd be glad to take you there one day if you want. Just let me know.

Sounds like you're talking about Forest Grove Honda. It's at the corner of a 4-Way intersection, the building is older, not very fancy inside like some places. Mike and Ken are the guys usually at the counter.

If that's the place you're talking about, I go there quite often myself. I got an older HRA-214 from my uncle that sat for years on the side of his garage. Fortunately it was up in eastern Washington, so it didn't rust out like it would have around here. I went to Forest Grove Honda and spent about $300 in parts and rebuilt it from the ground up. Used it all throughout High School and paid itself off very quickly.

TClawn
01-01-2005, 02:27 PM
My only complaint [besides stock mulching ability] is that it is hard on wet or shallow rooted turf cultivars because of the weight.

the prolines are just as hard on the grass as the honda.

and as you know, the stock mulching ability can be fixed easily. :)

dishboy
01-01-2005, 05:08 PM
the prolines are just as hard on the grass as the honda.

and as you know, the stock mulching ability can be fixed easily. :)

My observations at least for the grass cultivators here on shade yards is that the Honda will compact the soil more on small sections when the soil is damp , particularly parking strips that must be mowed the same direction each week. Admittedly most of this problem is due to incorrect irrigation practices. The Toro because of it's lighter weight[2 cycle model] also leaves less wheel marks in general, I.E. the wheel tracks are smaller and r disappear much sooner than with the HRC. On characteristic of the Toro I dislike is that it will scalp at shorter mowing heights on irregular turf much easier than the Honda due to the smaller wheel diameter.