PDA

View Full Version : 2 stroke engine diaignosis

fga
12-30-2004, 01:34 PM
what do you think would cause this, on virtually any 2 stroke with a pull start?

you pull on the rope, and it is very difficult to pull, the crank spins maybe one or two times per pull, very slowly.
you then rmove the spark plug and it turns totally free??

feels like it has so much compression..
i thought it was flooded, but not the case.

any ideas? :help:

out4now
12-30-2004, 02:05 PM
When our trimmers had that problem the recoil was usually ready to break.

fga
12-30-2004, 02:28 PM
what if the machine was practically new?

and as you turn the crank, you can hear the pressure around the plug?

grass_cuttin_fool
12-30-2004, 02:35 PM
Does it run at all? I wonder if something is in the exhaust port and got it blocked off so it cant exhaust, have you taken the muffler off and looked in that area?

fga
12-30-2004, 03:09 PM
Does it run at all? I wonder if something is in the exhaust port and got it blocked off so it cant exhaust, have you taken the muffler off and looked in that area?
i was running yesterday.. today i can barely turn the crank with the spark plug in. :help:

out4now
12-30-2004, 03:25 PM
It's new and having that problem? Yes, check the exaust for plugging. Strange. If it moves freely with the plug out then not likely overheated or warped.

battags
12-30-2004, 03:41 PM
How new and what brand? Is this a warranty fix?

Brian

grass_cuttin_fool
12-30-2004, 03:46 PM
I was thinking also of a term mechanics call '' hydraulic's'' where the cylinder fills up with fuel and it is so much in that the piston cannot make its cycle. but you didnt mention any gas coming out when you removed the plug so I dont think its hydraulic's

ed2hess
12-30-2004, 06:03 PM
Am I missing something....with the plug out there won't be any compression and hence it pulls easy..With the plug in it pulls hard....probably means that rings are dragging on cylinder!! Usually caused by running raw gas or some off brand 2-cycle oil. Put some Mobil 1 in the spark hole and pull it 200 times with spark plug out and then drain oil and see if rings free up. Put echo 2-cycle oil in at double rate and run for several hours.

Travis Followell
12-30-2004, 06:23 PM
If its new it should be under warranty. Take it to the dealer and let them fix it. Most likely it has too much compression and thats whats making it so hard to pull. I really don't know what would cause this. Thats why you should let the dealer check it out.

fga
12-30-2004, 06:31 PM
Am I missing something....with the plug out there won't be any compression and hence it pulls easy..With the plug in it pulls hard....probably means that rings are dragging on cylinder!! Usually caused by running raw gas or some off brand 2-cycle oil. Put some Mobil 1 in the spark hole and pull it 200 times with spark plug out and then drain oil and see if rings free up. Put echo 2-cycle oil in at double rate and run for several hours.
if it pulls effortlessly with the plug out, could it still be rings..

YardPro
12-30-2004, 06:34 PM
sounds like there is some type of fluid in the cylinder, fuel, etc.
or the exhuast could also be plugged.

riches139
12-30-2004, 07:07 PM
Sounds like fuel in the cylinder to me.
One of my trimmers will do the same thing when it's hot.
I have to loosen fuel cap to release the pressure in the tank.
The pressure forces fuel into the engine flooding it.

grass_cuttin_fool
01-11-2005, 09:04 AM
How about it Adam? have you found out the problem yet????

sawman65
01-12-2005, 06:21 AM
the only way it would have to much compression? it is scored and galled
from running gas with no mix.if he all ready pulled the plug he would have known if it was flooded