PDA

View Full Version : Estimate this leaf job.

o-so-n-so
12-30-2004, 08:30 PM
About 1.5 acres. Photos are close...nothing hidden....leaves have been piled and burned once this season. I am to remove leaves and pick up all limbs. I see a $600.00 job + 50.00 a load to haul off. (dump is free to me other than man hours). Job is about 1 mile from my starting point.

Where would you be on this one?

o-so-n-so
12-30-2004, 08:31 PM

o-so-n-so
12-30-2004, 08:32 PM

o-so-n-so
12-30-2004, 08:33 PM

o-so-n-so
12-30-2004, 08:34 PM

o-so-n-so
12-30-2004, 08:35 PM

o-so-n-so
12-30-2004, 08:36 PM

PMLAWN
12-30-2004, 08:37 PM
Can you blow them into the woods or do you have to haul away. If you take away than I would pass on the $600 as that is a ton of leaves. How many trips to the dump? Even if you have no dump fee the time to pick up and carry will be a lot.

o-so-n-so
12-30-2004, 08:37 PM

i_plant_art
12-30-2004, 08:38 PM
i did one similar to that one last year that was exactly 1.5 acres.... shoot it almost even looks the same but i know its not since are in different locations.!!LOL I did it for $720 took out the little wonder made a few big piles then took out the billy goat loader blew them into the trailer and was out of the in less that 3 hours. easy enough right. I would say around the $700 range would be sufficient for that one.

o-so-n-so
12-30-2004, 08:38 PM

Smithers
12-30-2004, 08:39 PM
what equipment would you be using?

a nice towable vacuum would be really nice here. How long do you think it will take you? Alone or with someone else?

o-so-n-so
10.......................last one.

thank you...

PMLAWN
I'm sorry I did not see the $50.00 each dump fee. That might make it more doable. Still a lot of leaves!

o-so-n-so
12-30-2004, 08:45 PM
2 people....2 back pack blowers.....lazer 60 with bagger.....TThp.w/mulcher or catcher (undecided)....one trailer that will hold 10.5 cu. yards by volume.

Can use 3 people but I think 2 is more efficient.

2 people 6 hrs. not counting dump time.

Mycannon
12-30-2004, 08:46 PM
Mulch theM and call it a day

o-so-n-so
12-30-2004, 08:49 PM
Not enough turf to mulch and get a nice look. Its basically dirt or moss under all the trees. Some grass around the house that would make it acceptable though.

Smithers
12-30-2004, 08:56 PM
Like PMLAWN said....if you can blow them into the woods, or at least at the end of their property (if they mind). it might be cheaper and faster.

Otherwise....you are getting $50/hr....if your calculations are correct (how long it will take).

If they are regulars, you can go higher since they know you. if not, stick to $600-$650 (contingency).

o-so-n-so
12-30-2004, 09:29 PM
The job is to remove the leaves.......the woods belong to someone else..no go. This is not a regular customer but a elderly lady that I go to church with...She has been using another guy that I know. I don't know what happened to that situation. The other guy is alot cheaper than my price and he is the one that burned them the first round. For some reason he is out and I am in....I think (Im about to call her now)

ed2hess
12-30-2004, 09:36 PM
Mulch theM and call it a day
I agree with you on this one....all the messing around with vacumn machines are you kidding us. A 48" to 60" unit with mulch plate on it and one guy with backpack would have this done by noon. These jobs must be in some remote corner of the US that has NO competition. Are these customers idiots, or are you guys medicine men salesmen? In our area they would report you to the Attorney General office for trying to RIP them off.

o-so-n-so
12-30-2004, 10:10 PM
Just got off the phone with the lady and all I can say is I must be a heck of a salesman............Everything from front of home to the road for 5 bills + $50.00 a load ( I think two will getter done)

ed2hess...read my replies. Its not about going home at noon. The scope of work is specific..remove the leaves and limbs....no gray areas. If I could mulch and achieve a nice finish look..believe me I would.

I will have you some after pics :D

later

i_plant_art
12-30-2004, 10:52 PM
ed2hess i think that maybe you should move to our part of the country seems to me you could make alot more $$ here than your current location by means of your last post. and as a matter of fact there is ALOT of competition in this part of the country the cost of living isnt as high as where you are, therefore any "job bob" with a truck and a "murray' can go out and cut lawn for $25with out any insurance and people will use them BASED SOLELY on PRICE not on service, unlike those of use who tote around 2mil in GL and 1mil in auto not to memtion the oh so quickly rising cost of workmans comp. In your part of the country 500-700 for that job is AVERAGE in the middle of what bids would be here. im sure things are different where you are but dont go tyranting off about attourney generals and so on without knowing how the markets are. so since you never did answer o-so-n-so question what would that jjob go for in your part of the country 100 200 im an dying to know. please let us all know how cheap you are willing to go, if itas low enough ill have the work you can handle here in my HIGH DOLLAR world.

Smithers
12-30-2004, 11:04 PM
ed2hess ,

if you are willing to work for $10/hr, we are not.

deal with it....oh yeah, and call the Attorney General.

Then tell them that BMW is charging too much for their cars.

If the market will bear it, dont leave money on the table.

Lawnchoice
12-30-2004, 11:13 PM
120 an hour - 6 hours roughly.

Tough with all those tree's and the big ZTR.

Go spend some money on a leaf plow, blow them into big piles, push them to the trailer.

TurfGuyTX
12-30-2004, 11:38 PM
I've mulched more than that before and it turned out very nice. I'm not talking about just one pass, but with a ztr, a couple or few passes don't take long.

the scaper
12-31-2004, 12:05 AM
I would mulch the light areas and blow/tarp the thick areas to an area where I could mulch them down with my bad to the bone lazer/freshly sharpened blades. No way I would haul them off for that price. No offence to the poster but I'm amazed at how many people I see on this board that let the customer dictate how the end means is to be accomplished. When I'm selling a customer I always listen to their wishes and requirements for the outcome, then I proceed with the words - "ok , no problem.... this is what we can do" (my way). works every time! IMHO.

TMlawncare
12-31-2004, 12:25 AM
Ed2hess, you believe you could have this job by noon? You probably could, but the end result would not hold up to our standards but maybe yours. Did you even look at those leaves? Those are pin oaks leaves they don't mulch well at all. The only way to mulch them is to windrow them all the way to the edges of the property lower the ocdc an make several passes the hit them with the walker or vac. One or two passes with the mulch plate on with pin oaks!!! Get some more experience and start reviewing your standards. You will spend the first hour picking up sticks and blowing out the beds if you even do that. I should do a search and look at some of your previous posts, they must be amusing.

o-so-n-so
01-01-2005, 08:28 PM
Done ths job today....Took 5 hrs 15 min. Dumped one full load (included in time) and left property with a half load still on the trailer. Job had a good finish. I did pick her up as a regular customer on mowing. Leaf job paid me 6 bills and I earned every bit of it.

This is just one end after photo.

PMLAWN
01-01-2005, 08:39 PM
Good job on the leaves--I hope that you did as good on the mowing contract.
That looks like a huge pain in the butt. Trees everywhere, You will have to pick up branches each week and trim around all those trees. Might even get dizzy going around in circles. Lots of time on the property. Just make sure you get the right money.

Lawnchoice
01-01-2005, 08:47 PM
Looks good and glad it didn't take you guys all day!

If you don't mind me asking, what do you get a for a mowing like that?

Smithers
01-01-2005, 10:28 PM
o-so-n-so, great job....it looks immaculate.....amazing. good for you. payup payup payup payup

gogetter
01-02-2005, 02:00 AM
I love when these guys think you can mulch a ton of leaves into DIRT and thin grass! LOL!
You need GRASS to hide the mulched leaves in.

wojo23323
01-02-2005, 11:41 AM
Looks great. Nice and clean.

o-so-n-so
01-02-2005, 04:23 PM
gogetter...i'm glad you brought that back up because I took a little time yesterday to just show what the results would be from mulching these leaves on a very thin or no turf.

Photo #1 is the leaves mulched. I made 12 passes over the leaves just in front of the tthp.

#2 is a closeup of mulched leaves X 12.
#3 is the difference in the mulched and vacuumed
#4 is a closeup of the finish look.

Its a no brainer to me................... :D

o-so-n-so
01-02-2005, 04:26 PM
This is the full load of leaves I hauled away. About 11.5 yards of mulched leaf dust.

grassyfras
01-02-2005, 06:12 PM
How did you get those leaves in their. Tarps?

RedWingsDet
01-02-2005, 06:27 PM
Im gonna tell ya straight out, its sunday, im tired, and I dont feel like reading 4 pages, lol. So I didnt read everything, just some here and there.

Anyway if I were you, I would have Charged $40 a tarp (10x10) and $70 for dump. You probably could have gotten close to $1600 or more even for a job that size.

Im telling you guys, charging by tarp is the way to go. You get done faster because your not d!cken around wasting time to get more hours on the clock, and its much much more profitable. I was doing close to 11 tarps in 80 minutes plus I added $60 for dumpfee. Charging by tarp is the way to go!

ed2hess
01-02-2005, 08:03 PM
ed2hess i think that maybe you should move to our part of the country seems to me you could make alot more $$ here than your current location by means of your last post. and as a matter of fact there is ALOT of competition in this part of the country the cost of living isnt as high as where you are, therefore any "job bob" with a truck and a "murray' can go out and cut lawn for $25with out any insurance and people will use them BASED SOLELY on PRICE not on service, unlike those of use who tote around 2mil in GL and 1mil in auto not to memtion the oh so quickly rising cost of workmans comp. In your part of the country 500-700 for that job is AVERAGE in the middle of what bids would be here. im sure things are different where you are but dont go tyranting off about attourney generals and so on without knowing how the markets are. so since you never did answer o-so-n-so question what would that jjob go for in your part of the country 100 200 im an dying to know. please let us all know how cheap you are willing to go, if itas low enough ill have the work you can handle here in my HIGH DOLLAR world.
I would guess there aren't many leaf clean-ups on regular maintained yards that would exceed $300 in our area. Even a yard the size of the one in the picture. The part about the attorney general was a case of bad humor on my part sorry! I know that the yards are a lot bigger in your area and you seem to get a lot more for leave clean-ups. We don't have a leaf cleanup demand here, because most lawn guys mulch them up!

Smithers
01-02-2005, 08:07 PM
ed2hess, dont worry about it....but yes, what o-so-n-so got is the right price...

o-so-n-so, what will you charge her for the weeekly grass cutting? from the pics, she hardly has any grass.

o-so-n-so
01-02-2005, 09:44 PM
I went over a few numbers and came up with a $275.00 month for a basic mowing package (with the shade, I think a 2 week rotation will be need until I have a better stand of grass) and that will include the leaf removal and nothing else. I based that on 16 cuts at $150.00 and $900.00 for complete leaf remove although I will mulch the leaves until there to thick to give a nice finish look. I think we can mow that in 1.5 hours.

Is $275 a month in the ballpark. Its alot of ground to cover but she will be a dedicated customer as long as do my job.

I found out why the other more cheaper guy is out. This lady called and called him to get those leaves up and he wouldn't return her call. So she called me. When I finished the leaf job and give her the bill she ask, are you sure thats enough. ( i felt like i left a little on the table) She then ask If i would service her all year and we didn't get into price at that time.

Best thing is that its a high profile (right on main road) location and its only about 1 mile from my home.