PDA

View Full Version : Need help with my Estimate page.

turfsurfer
12-30-2004, 09:02 PM
Just got my site up and running and the only problem I'm having is with the "request an estimate" portion of my contact page. When I hit the submit button, I get a message saying not allowed for my URL (I linked the button to my webhosting e-mail account.). Is there a special e-mail account or other software I need to make this work and get the customer info or did I just mess up the code a bit? Here's my site link. Easy Acres Lawn Care (http://www.easyacreslawncare.com). I have not submitted it to the search engines yet so you will have to type it into the browser if the link doesn't work.

tonygreek
12-31-2004, 10:05 AM
first guess i'd make is that you don't have your directory set to execute your script. are you running on apache or a windows server?

i'd also make the recommendation to find a form script that will mask your email address and form actions. you've opened the door for a load of spam to and from your account.

turfsurfer
12-31-2004, 04:41 PM
I am running on a windows server. What do you mean by changing my form script to mask my e-mail address and form execution? Just about every website you go to has their contact e-mail on it, or do you mean something else? I would imagine thay all have the potential to get alot of spam. I'm pretty new to all this website stuff, so any help is appreciated. How would I go about doing this?

tonygreek
01-06-2005, 12:35 PM
i guess i could make a small fortune on here by advertising my services for hire every time someone asks a question...

as for being "very tricky", take a look at the folder permissions where the script resides to be sure that it is set to "execute".

turf, with regard to form mail problems, search google for form hacks or form spam and you'll find some useful things. lemme know if you need more direction.

tony

Frontier-Lawn
01-06-2005, 12:40 PM
i had the ame prob with my gopher templete. so i just got rid of the est. form

Team Gopher
01-07-2005, 08:48 PM
Hi turfsurfer,

Your host may or may not allow you to run scripts, you will need to ask them how you would handle this. Let us know what you find.

tonygreek
01-08-2005, 05:20 PM
just to add context to my post above regarding "making a small fortune whenever someone asks a web question" and the "tricky" thing was not directed to turfsurfer. it was towards a poster selling web services that has been deleted.

tony

turfsurfer
01-08-2005, 06:56 PM
Well, part of the problem did turn out to be Godaddy webhosting. They will not allow you to run any kind of coded PHP scripts for your forms. Not really badmouthing them, they seem to be a pretty decent company for the short time I was with them with good support feedback but I really wanted to run my form as is. Also I think my php script has some kinks in it because even though my new host (globat) does support the php, it is not executing my form as I want. Not getting an email and it's taking me to a blank screen instead of back to the contact page. Probably just a few lines of code holding the whole thing up. I figure it's in the php part because the form looks correct on the site.
Figure I'll just find a local place to help me with this one issue. Tony, you're only an hour or so from me. Do you run a design business or are you a green industry guy with a web background just helping out on here? What I'm saying is are you interested in helping if I can't get anybody local for a reasonable price? You seem to have alot of insight into possible security problems with my site that I had no idea of.

tonygreek
01-08-2005, 08:18 PM
turfsurfer, i own an lco, a home exteriors company, and a legal-industry web company and spent 10 years in high-end ecommerce strategy and design. clients were fortune 5 down to mentoring solo entrepreneurs and start-ups.

as for the godaddy problem, it's not an issue only with them. many of the scripts available actually are harmful to their servers as spammers can easily use your forms to aid them in spamming others. it bogs down the servers, and the possibly hundreds of sites hosted on them, and ultimately ends up with all of those sites (the server itself) being blacklisted by web hosts such as aol. happens all the time.
ironically enough, i'm currently helping another columbus-area lco who hosts on godaddy and is having form problems. shoot me a pm with the hosting plan you are on and which php form script you are using and i'll see if i can help.

tony

Frontier-Lawn
01-09-2005, 09:56 AM
does anybody know if besthostingspot.net( i use them) allows or not the form?

tonygreek
01-09-2005, 02:04 PM
frontier, go through their account listings to see what each plan offers. there are literally tens of thousands of hosts and can be quite different from one to the next.

Frontier-Lawn
01-12-2005, 10:57 PM
i tried also running turfsurferstype of form and it wont work. either

tonygreek
01-12-2005, 11:39 PM
odds are it's a permissions issue on the server folder where the script resides, unless it's a mailto script, in which case it relies on a client-side email program to provide the work.

btw, if anyone is using mailto: as their form relay, if you wonder why you receive so much spam, that's it. if you have to use that function to handle your forms, at least find a good script that scrambles the address. the other thing is, why bother with mailto: forms? i can understand the budgetary shortcuts, but the stars really need to align for the form to generate and send as you want it. it all rests on the visitors computer set-up and this is not a good thing. ever see a mailto: open the email software and actually populate it or attach the file?

tonygreek
01-13-2005, 12:07 AM
turfsurfer, from my end it looks like you are all squared away with your form? i sent a test tonight and all looked well.

as a suggestion, now that you've cleared that hurdle, you might look at turning the response page (thankyou.html) into a templated page so that your visitors can stay within your standard site.

also, does you php script have your email address within the script itself? if so, you should remove the address from your html form page. it'll cut back on the spam you receive. and also from a security standpoint, who wrote the formmail script you are using? one very prevelant script is not secure and can be used to generate the spam from your server. if you want to pm the script or where you got it, i can tell you if it's good or bad.

<EDIT>
nevermind, i know what you're using. i'm sending you a pm.

tony