PDA

View Full Version : Starting Part Time

Roadside Mower
12-30-2004, 09:07 PM
I am seriously considering starting a part time lawn service business. I have worked 30 years for a public agency supervising gardeners, turf maintenance and road maintenance. My plan is to retire in about 5 years. I currently work part time as a small engine technician for a commercial lawn and garden equipment dealer. I have two Ransomes Bobcat's (M-32, M48) that I have rebuilt with new spindle bearings and shortblocked engines, blowers, trimmers and stick edger which are fairly new. I have a truck and trailer and am planning to purchase some liability insurance and a business license. I know what my machines can mow in a given amount of time given the difficulty of slopes and obstacles.
I am not interested in being a cut rate fly by night operator. I hope to be competitive setting my hourly rate at about $40.00-$45.00 per hour and deliver clean dependable work. I would like to continue this full time once I retire.
Any advice out there? How many residential accounts should I plan for being part time?

Thanks

Roadside

Lawrence Lawns
12-30-2004, 10:39 PM
Sounds like you're well prepared to start your business. All you need to do is advertise. Yellow Pages, local paper and referrals is our form of advertising. I would say you could handle 25-30 lawns a week depending on size. And depending on how busy you wanted to be. That's about what I was doing part-time. The lawns that I was doing then were average 1/4- 1/2 acre. I worked an average of 4 hrs a day for 5 days and held a 40 hr week full time job on 3rd shift at a factory. Glad those days are over. Anyhow, good luck. I know you'll be a success!