PDA

View Full Version : ideas needed

rbig
12-30-2004, 11:45 PM
Need some thoughts as to best way to tighten hold down chains from my tractor to the trailer rim. No matter what I do, at least one or two chains are always a bit looser than I want them. So, how do I tighten?

I've thought about the trucker type load binders, but the smallest ones of those I've found are too big for the short distance from the tractor to the trailer rim.

So far, I've been using ratcheting nylon straps, and have gotten away with it. But, my 1500 lb tractor hasn't put 'em to the test yet, either.

I've got 4 chains with grabber hooks on both ends which will work fine, but I need some way to get 'em snugged up.

jim dailey
12-31-2004, 12:08 AM
Need some thoughts as to best way to tighten hold down chains from my tractor to the trailer rim. No matter what I do, at least one or two chains are always a bit looser than I want them. So, how do I tighten?

I've thought about the trucker type load binders, but the smallest ones of those I've found are too big for the short distance from the tractor to the trailer rim.

So far, I've been using ratcheting nylon straps, and have gotten away with it. But, my 1500 lb tractor hasn't put 'em to the test yet, either.

I've got 4 chains with grabber hooks on both ends which will work fine, but I need some way to get 'em snugged up.

Use the ratcheting nylon straps...ones that are rated for the load that you have. NOW, put them at ALL 4 corners of the machine, in a DIAGONAL pattern. Such as: r/r of tractor goes to l/r of trailer, l/r of tractor goes to r/r of trailer, r/f of tractor to l/f of trailer and l/f of tractor to R/f of trailer. When these straps are all tightened-up, there is NO WAY that there will be slack, and NO WAY that the tractor can move on the trailer (barring a broken or malfunctioning strap). You have tightened the machne DIAGONALLY, and therefore it CANNOT move. Have Fun...JIM.

i_plant_art
12-31-2004, 12:11 AM
what i have always done is to put one chain on the front or back of the bobcat/tractor etc hook it up like you want it the either pull forward a little or backwards to tighten it up then shut off the machinery. this will get you one TIGHT chain the only way it will come off is by breaking. then on the other end i use a chain and a "come along" rachet to tighten it up. After moving soem the chains will be come somewhat loose both of them will. This is normal. If you stop at a gas station or whatever tighten them up some. So long as they are somewhat tight you are ok the whole purpose of them is 1) not to roll off the boack into traffic 2) if you get side hit it lessens the chance somethign will come flying off 3) if you go on a slope or awkward embankment it lessens the chances the machine will topple over and potential damage or kill something/someone. Chains arent there to completely stop something from moving at all.

jimslawns
12-31-2004, 12:19 AM
Chains are designed to use with binders. Nylon is fine however they will weather rot and probably cost as much as the binders. Binders are quick, don't tangle and will last a really long time. :)

rbig
12-31-2004, 01:27 AM
Good info, guys. Thanks. Looks like it'll be a combo of straps and chains, one a come-along.

My trailer is really wide, which is good for lateral stability. My bed frame is flat; no raised sides, so that's why I want my tractor cinched down good when I go toodling along. I really don't want that thing getting loose if I have to stop suddenly.

So far, my numerous trips with the tractor have been clean and uneventful---and I want to keep it that way.

Know what you mean about checking the straps and tightening here and there at gas station stops. Seems there's always a little slack, even when I start out with everything tight.

Again, thanks. The come-along is the ticket.