PDA

View Full Version : Future Problem

Lux Lawn
12-31-2004, 11:52 AM
Around here during leaf season the local city's come by with the Vac All trucks and remove leaves from the treelawns.So there has been no need for any of the bigger equipment for leaf removal except the usual backpacks,w/b blowers rakes tarps what ever until now.One of the city's where I have about 15 or so accounts with a decent amount of leaves is no longer picking up this way they are going to the Brown Bag Only system I need some suggestions on what to do,bagging all these leave will take forever and slow things down way to much that we would never be able to service everybody weekly at that point in the season and if there is an early snow fall next year forget it.I know I could just raise the prices to make it worth my while but thats not really what I am looking for at this point.
Thanks.

rodfather
12-31-2004, 12:18 PM
Any chance you can mulch them down a ton and still use the bags Larry without too much difficulty?

Lux Lawn
12-31-2004, 12:20 PM
Any chance you can mulch them down a ton and still use the bags Larry without too much difficulty?
I thought about that with the Meg Mo's but I never used them and some of these yards have desent size Oak trees in them.

rodfather
12-31-2004, 12:27 PM
Forgot to ask, but do you have any type of collection system on a mower at present?

Lux Lawn
12-31-2004, 12:34 PM
Forgot to ask, but do you have any type of collection system on a mower at present?

No right now I run two Great Dane 52in SS and a 48in Lesco w/b.
Also let me add that some of the backyards are small and require a Lawnboy because of the gates.

sanfordandsonfan
12-31-2004, 01:21 PM
If I were you, I would be looking into a vacum so you could service that particular town. In my area (st. louis) several communities do not offer curb side pick up, so companies drive around and vacum up the piles. Charge is about 65.00 for the first ten minutes. Most piles are gone in less than five. The ones that want there leaves moved to the curb and vacumed, charge them for the labor and vacum. This could be a big money maker for you.

Smithers
12-31-2004, 02:28 PM
Thank the lord.....purchase the needed equipment and start raking it in (the money, that is.) :):):)

Lux Lawn
01-01-2005, 11:36 AM
If I were you, I would be looking into a vacum so you could service that particular town. In my area (st. louis) several communities do not offer curb side pick up, so companies drive around and vacum up the piles. Charge is about 65.00 for the first ten minutes. Most piles are gone in less than five. The ones that want there leaves moved to the curb and vacumed, charge them for the labor and vacum. This could be a big money maker for you.

I would like to buy a vacum system but without the dump truck i'm not sure it will work,might be better to buy a ZTR with a collection system on it instead.

lqmustang
01-01-2005, 09:46 PM
Something that worked well for me this past season. With the bag attached to my wb, I would let the bag fill, then continue going over the entire yard with the bag full, mulching up leaves in the process. Then I would empty the bag, and go over the lawn again picking up the mess and emptying as needed. This worked well for me as I work solo, and it cut the time and volume down considerably allowing me to pickup more lawns between emptying the truck. If you are running a crew, then I think it would be more efficient with a leaf loader.

Unfortunately I'm sure you will still have to increase prices to compensate you for the extra time. The city of Massillon did the same thing this past season, eliminating curbside pickup. Be prepared for sticker shock. Can't tell you how many decided to get more estimates or just do it themselves after being spoiled all those years with city pickup.

ed2hess
01-01-2005, 10:20 PM
I agree with you MULCH the leaves up and stop thinking about it. I am in a town of 1.0 million and if there is ONE vacumn truck for leaves I would be very surprised. And we deal with leaves from October thru Feb. And forget the mega-mo stuff a single standard blade with a plate over the exit works just fine!!! Most guys on this site have 80# size backpack blowers...so when you finish mulching take backpack and spread the mulch....only thing you can't charge much for this type of clean up.

bobbygedd
01-01-2005, 10:27 PM
why is this a problem? before your clients paid for cleanup with roadside disposal. now, they must be charged for a different kind of disposal, wether it be brown bagged or hauled, it's different than blowing them to the street. so, what is the question? and why are you concerned?

Lux Lawn
01-01-2005, 10:38 PM
I am trying to find the most cost effective and time efficent way of doing these property's.

bobbygedd
01-01-2005, 10:45 PM
simple, stuffing brown bags takes too long, so:" mr. smith, from now on, the cost of doing your leaves will be xxx, + $$$ for disposal." that's it. my advice= if u have to haul, use meg mo's to grind, charge for the extra time in exchange for dump fees.

Lux Lawn
01-01-2005, 10:50 PM
simple, stuffing brown bags takes too long, so:" mr. smith, from now on, the cost of doing your leaves will be xxx, + $$$ for disposal." that's it. my advice= if u have to haul, use meg mo's to grind, charge for the extra time in exchange for dump fees.

Bobby
I have never used those Meg Mo's before and I heard you and several others say how good they are but if the lawn is cover with a couple inches of leaves and you cut it will it mulch them all in one cutting or two?Maybe put the catcher on for the second pass and then dump in the brown bags?
I have know problem with charging extra thats the part I like. payup

bobbygedd
01-01-2005, 10:58 PM
here's the deal with the meg mo's: they will save you big time as far as debris taken to the dump, and room taken up in your truck. but, if it's not a weekly cleanup, and u have quite a bit of leaves, there will be extra time involved. u will run over the leaves shooting them from "side to side" just like a grasscut, but making 3-4 passes. then, put the catcher in and suck up some of the dust. DO NOT try and get the place spotless with the catcher on. because of "blow out", the last 2 passes should be made WITH THE CATCHER OFF to get your "spotless" appearence. by no means should you attempt to "corral" the leaves.

Lux Lawn
01-01-2005, 11:02 PM
Thanks for the tip Bobby I may have to check into it right now I am just starting to think about what to do.

mtdman
01-02-2005, 03:30 AM
I might have this problem myself this next year. The city I work in wants to get rid of leaf pickup, tried to this year as it was. If it happens, I'll probably get a leaf vac and charge to take them away. That's not so much the problem, as it is finding the time to do cleanups AND take the leaves away. I was pretty much maxed out as it was this fall just doing the cleanups. Doing both is going to be a logistical nightmare. Not to mention figuring out a good loading/unloading system without a dump truck.

:D

Lux Lawn
01-02-2005, 11:15 AM
Not to mention figuring out a good loading/unloading system without a dump truck.

:D
Thats one of the problems I have no dump truck and no place to park one I could build a leaf box on my 3/4 ton but then what shovel them out no thanks.

smlavin
01-02-2005, 11:24 AM
Thats one of the problems I have no dump truck and no place to park one I could build a leaf box on my 3/4 ton but then what shovel them out no thanks.

I have heard of a guy layering tarps in the bed to help with unloading. Might take a few tarps but I bet it beats shoveling by a mile.

SodKing
01-02-2005, 12:26 PM
You could get a dump insert for your pickup, Trac-Vac also makes a leaf box (and vacuums) for this size truck.

jedMeister
01-03-2005, 09:17 PM
Forget about all that expensive vacum stuff. Take your Great Dane and buy an Excelerator bagging system (about 350 dollars). Go over leaves until size of dimes and start bagging. You will fit 5-6 average lawns in the back of a pick up, depending on how fine you mulch. Next, find a farmer and ask if he would let you dump your loads in his feilds. Many like the idea of having the compost. Its free to you and everyone is happy.