PDA

View Full Version : Can your business run itself?

Mclaughld
12-31-2004, 05:21 PM
Is anyones business to the point where it runs itself? Meaning you have people running every aspect of the company and you basically just collect a check?
That would be my goal in starting a business like this, but i wonder if it attainable? Is anyone at that point or could be there if they chose to?

jaybird
12-31-2004, 06:47 PM
no-way. i wish tho.

JustMowIt
12-31-2004, 07:00 PM
Is anyones business to the point where it runs itself? Meaning you have people running every aspect of the company and you basically just collect a check?
That would be my goal in starting a business like this, but i wonder if it attainable? Is anyone at that point or could be there if they chose to?

Yes, it is attainable. We are heading in that direction & could within a year or so, our business is so simple, I doubt that we would every hire anyone to replace us.
MJ

CamLand
12-31-2004, 07:01 PM
Almost,My wife basically runs the business by doing all billings and my foreman does all estimates and handles all customer affairs...

Planet Landscaping
12-31-2004, 10:05 PM
I'm trying :help: . Some stuff I just have to oversee for peace of mind. I also make all sales payup . The only answer I see is to clone myself :alien: :alien: several times to achieve that goal :D .

Soupy
12-31-2004, 10:18 PM
It is very unlikely you can ever leave the work force completely. I know we all want to live on a beach and not do anything, but it is unlikely. Some people like Donald Trump can have multiple business's that do not require him at each one full time. But bet your bottom dollar that he has regular meetings with the head people.

You can try it, but I doubt you will see steady growth.

Mclaughld
01-01-2005, 04:42 AM
Almost,My wife basically runs the business by doing all billings and my foreman does all estimates and handles all customer affairs...

Thats what I like to see. Lets say you hired someone(or outsourced to a company) your wifes job of billing.
How often would you or your wife have to stop by the business for meetings and such? Are there any dutys that you still handle that could realistically be given to a "Head Foreman"?
What is the least amount of time you could put into your business and have it still grow?

sbvfd592
01-01-2005, 10:19 AM
i work for a company that can do that. i am branch manger. it basicy dose that i ride aroun check up on stuff look at plans. i can leave at noon and know everything is ok

SpudsM15
01-01-2005, 10:25 AM
If you have a crew foreman. That has the smarts to take care of everything from cutting grass to repairing the equipment, and taking care of the employees little problems. and customer complaints

The only thing you will have to do is deal with the billing, estimates, and expenses....
Isn't that easy enough???
When running a biz you have to. 1-get the work, 2-Do the work, 3-get paid for the work
figure hire a person to do each of these then you'll be doing nothing...
what a payroll that must be...

mrusk
01-04-2005, 06:15 PM
I feel to have a self run business should be everyones goal that wants to make the big bugs. If in 8-10 years i can not find or train someone to run 90% of my business i will sell it. This may only be my 2nd year in the business, but this business is merely a step-in stone for me. An employee that over sees all divisions, can handle estimates, enployees, customers, and everything else is easily worth 75k a year, full medical, and a company vehicle. If you ain't going to pay the guy that much, you will never find anyone decent enough.

Matt

Lawrence Lawns
01-04-2005, 06:32 PM
You must have accounts in the hundreds and a couple of crews for this to happen. It also takes years to get there. But it should be everyones dream, otherwise you won't grow to your company's full potential and you will stay small and continue doing it all yourself. DREAM BIG! The potenial is there.