PDA

View Full Version : how much can a 3 man crew make on mulch

Smitty58
01-01-2005, 08:53 AM
Thinking ahead to mulch season. How much can a 3 man crew take in on mulch only. Lets assume a couple of things. #1 The route is tight to maximize effeciency. #2 Work 10 hours per day ,6 days week ,and do this for 2 weeks.
#3 pay $20 per yard and charge $55 per yard.

So give me your estimates first doing it by hand ,and then doing it with a blower.

mdb landscaping
01-01-2005, 09:40 AM
$300,000 or more. go out and buy a used finn mulchblower and go to town :D

Precision
01-01-2005, 10:09 AM
I assume you are aware that the difficulty is not in laying the mulch but lining up the clients.

I have (alone) spread 12 yards in a day in the dead of summer. Took all day (9 hours) and almost killed me. So I paid $26/yd and charged $75/yd. Net $588.

With 3 guys I probably could have cut my time to 4-5 hours. I was using the trailer, wheelbarrow and shovel method.

The real way to do it is with a blower truck. buy one, rent one, or sub one. 12 yards in 30 minutes or less.

Smitty58
01-01-2005, 10:43 AM
Is that the new math you are using there mdb? I would love to do $300,000 in 2 weeks ,please tell me how you come up with that figure.

sbvfd592
01-01-2005, 11:28 AM
LOTS 2 man in a finn make one heck of alot and save time like no other! crews dont have to mulch the truck pulls up one man blows the other uses leaf rake makes it look purdy and away they go.

Smitty58
01-01-2005, 11:31 AM
Anyone have any experience with real numbers they can share? We have looked at Finn corp. they make some real nice blowers.

MImowerkid
01-01-2005, 11:46 AM
I am going to be putting down about 20 yards of mulch in spring at two locations and I was considering the blower but I don't know how much they rent for on average ? Would it be a diffrent price in diffrent areas of the country ,if so anyone in lower MI know ?

jwholden
01-01-2005, 11:52 AM
I think you can answer your own question here.

How many yards of mulch, on average, can your 3 man crew spread an hour?

This answer depends on how far or close the wheelbarrow has to travel, how difficult the terrain is, how tight the gardens are regarding a bunch of tight plants or a bed of mulch with three trees.

How long does it take you to load up your truck, eat lunch, gas up the truck, travel to the job?

Subtract this time from the 10 hour day.

How long does it take you to go get the mulch, or do you have it delivered?

How motivated are your employees?

I can spread mulch faster than a guy I just hired.

I'm happy to average around 1 - 1 /2 yards per hour per man with Spring mulching. You are going to blow that amount away with new installs where you are laying the mulch down really thick.

With a crew of three and the beds prepped already I spread 20 yards of mulch in about 9 hours, including travel, lunch, truck loading, gas station stops, etc.

sbvfd592
01-01-2005, 12:16 PM
i will look up # on monday

mdb landscaping
01-01-2005, 12:44 PM
i meant you can make that much in a season, just by putting down mulch. you never said your mulch season was a couple of weeks. we put down mulch from the time the snow melts to the time the snow flies. the blower truck was the best investment we ever made.

Smitty58
01-01-2005, 12:56 PM
My bad mdb. I did start out saying season ,but then I said 2 weeks. I'm looking at a blitz for a 2 -4 week period using a blower. I will be renting the blower and was wanting some thoughts on how much can be done in a short amount of time.

mdb landscaping
01-01-2005, 01:10 PM
we can shoot 20 yards in 45 minutes with our finn. we have the large hopper blower mounted on an IH platform. id assume you probably are renting the trailer tow behind model and im sure that will take longer to shoot mulch, unless you are gonna use a bobcat to constantly load it.

Smitty58
01-01-2005, 01:59 PM
We are looking at the one you load with a bobcat. How small of jobs do you do with yours. Would you go out on a 4-5 yard job with the blower just so you could knock it out fast?

mdb landscaping
01-01-2005, 02:22 PM
for our very few customers who have less than 4 or 5 yards we will blow it for them, but we typically do jobs 10 yards or more. we've blown as much as 700 yards at one location. if anybody wants to sub to us, we promise in the contract not to solicit that mulch work from your customers. we work in CT, Mass, RI, and NY. we really only go out of state for larger jobs though.

Five Diamond Lawns
01-01-2005, 02:48 PM
What is this trailer tow behind bark blower?
That sounds like something I could use.

Also, how much can you get per yard on the 5y to 15y jobs?

mdb landscaping
01-01-2005, 03:23 PM
http://www.finncorp.com/bark/bb605d.htm

heres one of the models, and the one below it is as well.