PDA

View Full Version : ok, this happened to a friend of mine.....

bobbygedd
01-01-2005, 04:15 PM
this guy, he did a leaf cleanup, for a one time client. no contract. the price was $400. he went, but heavy winds made it impossible to work, he got about 50% of the leaves up. told client he will come back, ok. next time, he shows up, works maybe another hour, heavy winds again, he can't finish. he tells client, ok. a couple days later, nice weather forecast for the next day, he calls client, tells her to leave check, post date is fine, he will be there to finish tommorow morning. she says ok, he shows up, looks for check, there is no check. he doesn't complete job. he calls her several times over the next 2 weeks, she doesn't answer or return call. finally, he says screw it. he did finish at least 3/4 of the job, so he sends a bill for $300. she sends note back, "i will not pay, job was not completed." he tries calling her again, she won't return call. my advice was to sit in front of her driveway and confront her when she comes home. he seems to think, "she may have a point" about the job not being complete. i tell him he was there to finish, she agreed to leave a check, she didn't leave it, so fk her. does he have a right to be paid anything?

mdb landscaping
01-01-2005, 04:23 PM
personally i really feel he shouldnt charge her anything. if i were him though, i woulda just done the cleanup without the check and then bill her. if she didnt pay, put a lein on house. he chose to show up on windy days and couldnt complete the work and she had the check those days, so maybe she just forgot. ive been in his shoes, but we just bill people, none of this leaving checks for us.

Woody82986
01-01-2005, 04:31 PM
If he called that many times over that long period of time and she never answered she was looking to duck out on the bill. I would call her, tell her what day I was coming to finish the job, and tell her that she either needs to be home so he can collect the money or she can leave a check, but that he would not complete the work unless one of those two things happened.

bobbygedd
01-01-2005, 04:38 PM
personally i really feel he shouldnt charge her anything. if i were him though, i woulda just done the cleanup without the check and then bill her. if she didnt pay, put a lein on house. he chose to show up on windy days and couldnt complete the work and she had the check those days, so maybe she just forgot. ive been in his shoes, but we just bill people, none of this leaving checks for us.
well, here's the thing, we live in a world of vipers (the great one himself even said this) so there is a trust issue. it was a one time client, so he didn't know her. he completed most of the job, and asked for a post dated check , she agreed. the reason for post dating was so she could inspect the job, and even stop payment if it wasn't up to par. but, she DID AGREE to leave a check, and didn't. he had every reason to believe he was about to get humped. i think she had every intention of not paying. btw, there was rain, and heavy winds for about the last month of the season here in jersey. you had to do some work in the wind, or starve.

TMlawncare
01-01-2005, 05:11 PM
In this line of work wind, rain, heat, drought are all part of the business. Your friend was there to do a complete job period. If the jobs not done, I would not pay either. He was there twice and never completed the job, what is the homeowner suppose to think. He just needs to plan more wisely. Go back to the job, complete the work, bill the lady, make sure shes on the list for next year, move on to the next account.

bobbygedd
01-01-2005, 05:18 PM
so tm, your advice is, in 40 mph winds, to just stay there as long as you need to, to finish, for the same $400? and you have no comment on the fact that she agreed to leave a check, but didn't?

TMlawncare
01-01-2005, 05:53 PM
I agree Bobbygedd this has been one of the most challenging years we have faced weatherwise also. Its been difficult to get thing wrapped up in a timely manner. I'm not as familiar with the specifics of the situation and market as you are. Yes she agreed to leave a check but sometimes the customers and you don't see the situation in the same way. She probably looked out the window or listened to the weather and heard strong winds today and figured, he won't be here and if he is he won't stay long. No need to leave a check. As far as our business goes, any uncompleted job is first on the list for the next workable day. There has been several jobs that we have had to call extra employees in to work on even though it wasn't profitable for them to be there. If we were to not get the job done it would hurt our profitability even more. Remember mother nature sets our schedule, we have to make wise/profitable decisions in order to make the most of our most precious resource ---------time.

PMLAWN
01-01-2005, 06:01 PM
Bobby your friend failed to finish the job 2 times already. I would have to think real hard before I would leave a check. Post dating would not make me comfortable either.
As a customer I want to see the finished product first.
As a provider I want to make sure the customer is happy with what I did.
We don't have the same issues with getting payed as you do up in NJ so maybe my system would not work there but I still think that the job should be finished. Maybe have your friend ask for 1/2 up front and agree to get the rest at completion.

bobbygedd
01-01-2005, 06:14 PM
Bobby your friend failed to finish the job 2 times already. I would have to think real hard before I would leave a check. Post dating would not make me comfortable either.
As a customer I want to see the finished product first.
As a provider I want to make sure the customer is happy with what I did.
We don't have the same issues with getting payed as you do up in NJ so maybe my system would not work there but I still think that the job should be finished. Maybe have your friend ask for 1/2 up front and agree to get the rest at completion.
as a customer, she AGREED to leave a check. i would say that she had a choice in the night before phone conversation, that being: a) "no, i'd rather not leave a check, i want to see the job done first." or b) "ok, i'll leave a check for the full amount." SHE CHOSE option "b", and agreed to leave a check. i'd say under these circumstances, the contractor had every reason to see a "red flag" when the check wasn't there, as per agreement.

mdb landscaping
01-01-2005, 06:20 PM
haha this is a discussion forum. i think all three of us are trying to tell you he shouldnt be in that position to begin with. like stated above, he failed to complete twice......whether she agreed or not, it woulda been much easier to bill her when job was complete. not once have we ever taken a check for services. everything gets billed. just some food for thought for him. i realize everybodys businesses are differently sized and run differently here so sometimes its hard to make a point cause other people dont see it the same way.

out4now
01-01-2005, 06:53 PM
The customer was probably wondering even if she left a postdated check if he'd finish it so, no. Should have done the job and billed in full when done. Should have gone with a contract too.

jim dailey
01-01-2005, 06:54 PM
so tm, your advice is, in 40 mph winds, to just stay there as long as you need to, to finish, for the same $400? and you have no comment on the fact that she agreed to leave a check, but didn't?

Booby, enough is enough. FIRST, I was afraid of this one...you have a friend. SECOND, like has to be a real ***** in New Jersey, there never seems to be an end to YOUR problems.Never mind that it happened to YOUR FRIENDS. I really don't beleive that you actually have friends, sorry, but who would want to! How come all the other LCO's in New Jersey are NOT on here with all of the problems that you have. How come all of THEIR customers are NOT as bad as your's, or your FRIENDS? If the business is such a PROBLEM, correct the problem. SOMETIMES, you come up with great ideas...but...all of the whining drowns it out. If managing customers for a living is soooo difficult, maybe it is time to look for something else. Youmust have really grey hair for such a young person with sooooo many problems. JIM

Tn Lawn Man
01-01-2005, 07:01 PM
haha this is a discussion forum. i think all three of us are trying to tell you he shouldnt be in that position to begin with. like stated above, he failed to complete twice......whether she agreed or not, it woulda been much easier to bill her when job was complete.

If I was the customer red flags when have been going up everywhere.

1. This guy cannot evaluate the weather forcast enough to realize that he cannot do a leaf clean up in 40mph wind? "He must be less experienced than I thought" (homeowner's point of view).

2. He made the same mistake twice...."he really doesn't know what he is doing".

Common sense should tell ya to look at the weather report.

If it was me I would have called the lady in the morning and told her today is not a good day, the winds are too strong. Can we reschedule? Explain that mother nature doesn't always cooperate.

Instead he showed up twice, didn't do the job right, wrecked confidence in the homeowner and then wants a check waiting on him.

She probably hung the phone up after saying she would leave the check and thought about what was said and then thought, "I am not leaving this guy a check, he can't be trusted". And to her fault did not know how to deal with the situation.

I most often side with the LCO but this guy had it coming.

He should have just finished the job proving that in the end he is professional and reliable, despite how things started. And, then just bill her. That way if things went bad he could say that in the end he held up his part of the agreement.

What can he say now. I did half the job? That is pretty feeble to say the least.

bobbygedd
01-01-2005, 07:03 PM
jim, please stick to the subject at hand. and, out4now, so, you are saying it was ok for the client to lie, or mislead, as far as payment arrangements are concerned?

jim dailey
01-01-2005, 07:20 PM
[QUOTE=Tn Lawn Man]If I was the customer red flags when have been going up everywhere.

1. This guy cannot evaluate the weather forcast enough to realize that he cannot do a leaf clean up in 40mph wind? "He must be less experienced than I thought" (homeowner's point of view).

2. He made the same mistake twice...."he really doesn't know what he is doing".

Common sense should tell ya to look at the weather report.

If it was me I would have called the lady in the morning and told her today is not a good day, the winds are too strong. Can we reschedule? Explain that mother nature doesn't always cooperate.

Exactly...job was started with an attitude...the WRONG attitude...so let's just blame it on the wind and give the customer a hard time. Communicate with the customer...explain the weather, cancel for the day and re-schedule. Stop with the attitude. AND, if you think the customer has an attitude, I wonder where she caught it from? All of those small yards in NJ, and it never got done? Why is that. What the HELL, NJ is the only place withwind on a fall day in the northeast. I got all of mine done, and I am further north than NJ. Get off of the pot (toilet) down there...get to work...and quityerbitchin. I would NOT have left a check for ANYONE, not until the job was completed to my satisfaction. You quoted a price, you want to wait on the wind...time is wasting SON. And you NEVER got pais. NOW, that time is gone forever, and probably the customer also. You and your friend line them up...All of the PITA customers that you both have. I will come down April 01, 2005. I will put them ALL under contract at twice what you would even think of charging, and have them ALL kissing my mowers for the rest of the season. I DARE YA, I JUST DARE YA.............BOOBY !!!

mdb landscaping
01-01-2005, 07:23 PM
uh oh....this thread is gonna get interesting. although like i said i dont know the full extent of the situation, the bitching threads are getting kind of old. :D

bobbygedd
01-01-2005, 07:30 PM
ah jim, you didn't read the whole thing. it was explained after each visit that we (he) tried, but weather caused problems. the only problem occured when the client agreed, then failed, to leave a check. btw, you would get torn to shreds here, with your "ritchy cunningham" personality. they would see it as a sign of weakness, and trample you

jim dailey
01-01-2005, 07:51 PM
ah jim, you didn't read the whole thing. it was explained after each visit that we (he) tried, but weather caused problems. the only problem occured when the client agreed, then failed, to leave a check. btw, you would get torn to shreds here, with your "ritchy cunningham" personality. they would see it as a sign of weakness, and trample you

Booby...I have already been there, done that...I walked the walk, in New Jersey, long before you ever had the chance. I told ya that long ago...Talk is cheap...real words are worth more. As a young man is New Jersey, I had a small business and never had anywhere near the problems you seem to encounter. As anyone searching thru posts on here can see, youseem to have poblems with everything and everyone. But then, I am probably wasting my time and breath. Those on here have their own opinions. May I wish you, and yours, a Happy and Prosperous New Year. Take Care...JIM.

bobbygedd
01-01-2005, 07:55 PM
so then, I HAVE YOU TO BLAME for the way things are here. i mean, realistickly, our forfathers, or "the ones who came first", have set the stage for the rest of us. i know guys in this business 20-25 yrs, who have the same problems i do. the difference....they let the client get away with it, I DON'T. so jim, THANK YOU, and others like you, for creating THE MESS that you have created. hang your head, as soon as you get done scratching it

Kelly's Landscaping
01-01-2005, 08:19 PM
If you walk away from a job you have no claim to get paid. As for the 40 mile an hour winds I can relate and its rough but going back to a job 2 more times is not worth it either. How small is the guys operation that he can go back to a job over and over again and take multiple wind days off. As for the customer contact I guess thatís a New Jersey thing I have better things to do then to call my customers up and hassle them and ask for a check to be waiting for me when I get there.

The truth is clean ups are not very profitable this time of the year sucks its dark at 4:30-5:00 so we have 3-4 less hours to work per day. If itís raining it shuts you down since wet leaves take 2-4 times as long to move. Its pure abuse on all your equipment for much lower income per day. While we make some cash the months numbers are way lower then cutting months and we only do it since its expected of us.

jim dailey
01-02-2005, 10:09 AM
so then, I HAVE YOU TO BLAME for the way things are here. i mean, realistickly, our forfathers, or "the ones who came first", have set the stage for the rest of us. i know guys in this business 20-25 yrs, who have the same problems i do. the difference....they let the client get away with it, I DON'T. so jim, THANK YOU, and others like you, for creating THE MESS that you have created. hang your head, as soon as you get done scratching it

Booby, this is classic you: "I have a problem, so let me look around and see who I can blame for it." A true attention disorder..."I want everyone to PAY ATTENTION to me." Grow up, ya crybaby...or go back to the track and drink somemore.

bobbygedd
01-02-2005, 11:29 AM
fact is fact. lawn service people run thier business unlike any other business in the world. in fact, they let thier businesses run them. thier clients run thier business, the weather runs thier business, everything runs thier business except them. fact: lawnboys (you included) are not businessmen, they are flunkies. thank you mr. daily for contributing to this situation. i aim to change it. now, back to the track you say? i wish i could, but my wife will not allow me out today, she is having guests over for a late christmas party (we've been away) and i must stay here and socialize. but i do have an account where i can play ponies via telephone. see anything that looks good?

Ol'time Lawncare
01-02-2005, 12:04 PM
If your buddy did 75% of the job , then he should have got 75% of the money!why didn't he show up in the evening when shes home and collect the money. doesn't he have the weather channel?

bobbygedd
01-02-2005, 12:29 PM
If your buddy did 75% of the job , then he should have got 75% of the money!why didn't he show up in the evening when shes home and collect the money. doesn't he have the weather channel?
watching the weather channel will not get work done. we had high winds and or rain for 4 weeks straight. stay home and do nothing, or get out and put a dent in these jobs? what's with the going back bullcrap? bad enough he had to make 3 trips there for the job, then she tries ripping him off my not adhearing to the payment arrangements. he will get at least $300, i will help him. to all you roll over and play dead "pros", thanx for nothing.

mdb landscaping
01-02-2005, 12:31 PM
i dont know if thats aimed at me or some of the more rowdy posters but you asked an opinion on a public forum and you didnt get an answer you liked. I gave it to you. its pretty simple. i disagree.

J&R
01-02-2005, 12:34 PM
He didn't finish the job. He should not get PAID. If someone puts a new roof on your house 3/4 of the way and don't show back up would you pay them.

STAN1366
01-02-2005, 01:55 PM
He didn't finish the job. He should not get PAID. If someone puts a new roof on your house 3/4 of the way and don't show back up would you pay them.

That nails it real good! The weather isn't the customers problem, but it IS something the LCO has to deal with, like it or not. Giving up after doing 3/4 of the job and expecting to get 3/4 of the money is something the LCO and the customer have to re-negotiate. If the BOTH agree to the reduced fee due to the weather conditions making it impossible to complete the job then the customer owes, period! Of course, if after all the run around the customer still won't pay, then maybe dumping the leaves back in her yard will get a measure of revenge, but might also damage his reputation if she decides to "advertise" for him.
P.S. I've got 20 bags of leaves your friend can have if he wants to dump them in her yard!

bobbygedd
01-02-2005, 02:44 PM
the client voided the agreement when she CHOSE to not adhere to the payment arrangement that was agreed upon BY BOTH parties. how cum you guys aren't commenting on the fact that she AGREED TO LEAVE A CHECK, THEN DID NOT LEAVE IT? you guys just love to get burned, i think you really do. let's focus for a moment on the payment arrangement. why did she agree the night before to leave a check, then not leave it, and not return phonecalld for weeks afterwards?

Ol'time Lawncare
01-02-2005, 03:06 PM
yah when you get a new roof you pay a deposit on the job! This lawn boy did over 75% and made arrangements with the home owner to finish the job and leave a check for him... she broke the agreement, Why can't he get his 75%. your crazy :dizzy:

Runner
01-02-2005, 05:39 PM
I would sort of equate this to a house painter. He comes, paints part of it, then it rains all the paint off. He does it again, then it rains the paint off again. The job is never really completed. Then, on this particular case, who is to say that 3/4 of the job wwas done? Who is to be the judge of that? Why isn't it 7/10, or 2/3? The main thing is, is that it really needs to be completed, regardless. He needs to do whatever means necessary to contact this lady. Yes, it is a pain and a wrongdoing on her part for not contacting him, but it is still necessary to find out the terms. He will not be allowed to just put a number on it like "3/4". I would be calling from different numbers so she doesn't know who's calling, or showing up at different hours.

J&R
01-02-2005, 05:54 PM
yah when you get a new roof you pay a deposit on the job! This lawn boy did over 75% and made arrangements with the home owner to finish the job and leave a check for him... she broke the agreement, Why can't he get his 75%. your crazy :dizzy: In your part of the world you would a pay deposit. Not here i will sign for a new roof when the job is finished will pay in full. When you need part of the money up front that tells me that your not a company financialy stable.

bobbygedd
01-02-2005, 05:58 PM
runner, i'm confused. so, if it is obvious she is ignoring your phone calls, you would force yourself on her? once again, focussing on the payment arrangement, do you continue working when the client blatently disreguards the payment arrangement?

lpwhandyman
01-02-2005, 08:04 PM
Well comparing this to a new roof is a a little different. The big difference is the contractor needing to buy the materials (the shingles, tar paper, drip edge, roofing nails, staples, etc.). Bobby you keep saying the customer broke the agreement. But the question is, did the customer originally call him up and say Mr. LCO, I need 3/4 of a fall cleanup done at my house. I'm sure she didn't. You can blame whoever you want. The customer, the former lawncare guys, even your dog. Yes it's unfortunate that the weather has been windy, rainy, etc. But we all got through it. You might ask yourself, why you (I mean your friend) is the only one that can't finish the job. I remember fighting one and it was getting the best of me. I was going to call it quits and attempt it another day. But It was suppose to be windy all week. And I figured it would cost me more to leave and come back then it would be just to stay there and finish. My suggestion.....instead of you going and helping "your friend" collect. Go along and use your great wisdom and show him how a real professional would do it, then go knocking on the front door (with your shovel of course) and only then help him collect on a "complete" job. Let us know how you make out.

elmo1537
01-02-2005, 10:02 PM
maybe in my part of the country everything is different. but your friend was not hired to do 3/4 of the job... so why should he get 3/4 of the money. personally i would go back finish the job and then try to collect. just remember that when your friend is trying to call her to get his money she is probably on the other line telling every person that she know how much of an ******* the guys is that was supposed to clean up all of the leaves and only did 3/4 of it. wind or not you were hired to do a job finish it.

bobbygedd
01-02-2005, 10:09 PM
interesting thing here, no one is even concerned that the client blatently tried to rip this man off by not adhearing to the payment agreement made only the night before, and then refused to even discuss the matter with the guy on the phone. the job would have been completed if she left a check, as she agreed to do. the client in this case is a liar and a thief, and i'm glad he did not finish the job, he would have suffered an even greater loss. you people amaze me, and it is no wonder you are one step above the paperboy on the food chain. it must be that all lawnboys have some kind of self esteem problem, or do only people with self esteem problems become lawn boys? either way, you are holding yourselves down, you have been for years, and you will continue to. good day flunkies

mdb landscaping
01-02-2005, 10:12 PM
haha lawnboys....good one. some people on here may just be lawnboys, but not everybody is, and frankly, i will guarantee im working in a much much larger business than "your friend". he got himself into the mess by wanting a check upon completion. i just dont get why you are insulting us for telling you what we think. i dont know why you are even trying to defend him so much. pass on what we said, it should be no skin off your back.

J&R
01-02-2005, 10:15 PM
Bobby you have one HE!! of a mental problem your the only one here with the mind of a paperboy and the income. I could buy out you 10 times with the income i have over yours.

lpwhandyman
01-02-2005, 10:17 PM
T :sleeping: ime after time you ask, we tell, then we hear how useless we are to your little world. What a piece of work. Oh wait, I forgot to mention who I was talking about. I'll give everybody one guess. And I'm sure everyone of you get it right on the first shot.

lawnman_scott
01-02-2005, 10:30 PM
haha lawnboys....good one. some people on here may just be lawnboys, but not everybody is, and frankly, i will guarantee im working in a much much larger business than "your friend". You should be. You have been in business since you were 15..............

cutnedge
01-02-2005, 10:32 PM
did a leaf cleanup, got 50% of the leaves up. she sends note , "i will not pay, job was not completed."
See Bobby? I warned you (er, friend) in a earlier thread that those 1/2 ass jobs don't add up. But, nooooooooo.

mdb landscaping
01-02-2005, 11:59 PM
You should be. You have been in business since you were 15..............

actually i started when i was 14 working for a friend who was a landscaper. started cutting grass when in highschool, when i got my license went ligit, cut lawns and landscaped after school and on weekends, did that through highschool, then went to UConn to get an associates in turf managment, interened with Brickman Group for a summer, then took a job as accounts manager for a large landscape firm in my state.

JKOOPERS
01-03-2005, 12:40 AM
its just part of the business. i used to do concrete work if it rained while we were pouring concrete do you really think we would leave and come back on a nice day f@ck no you have to get er done period.

cgland
01-03-2005, 12:54 AM
Hmmmmmm! Did ya ever just think that she thinks your "friend" is a poor business man and wants nothing to do with him? Which is what I think of you for even thinking that you can collect a percentage of an unfinished job. Be professional for once and live up to an agreement. Finish the job, bill her and if she doesn't pay follow the PROPER protocols. I don't care if she said she was going to leave a check. It's like saying..."well I put in 5 hours on this job, I guess I'll be a hardass and not put in the final hour and a half to finish the job.....What d' ya say I flush my reputation down the toilet for $400" or maybe $400 is your largest job to date and it will ruin you if you don't get it :nono: . Point blank....use a contract dummy, maybe you won't get burned so much. :angry:

Duramax99
01-03-2005, 08:26 AM
Bobby why did your "Friend" start the job if there was no check. If that was the agreed terms. No Checke no worke

kris
01-03-2005, 08:49 AM
its just part of the business.... you have to get er done period.

My thoughts exactly ... How you go twice for a $400 leaf job and not finish is beyond me. I would have told the crew to get it done the first time. Use the wind to your advantage ...rake with the wind not against it.

Even if she planned on stiffing the guy he would have a much better chance of collecting if he completed.

Your right...she shouldn't have agreed to leave the check.

bobbygedd
01-03-2005, 09:25 AM
interesting comments here. the same guys saying yoiu shouldn't do leaf cleanup in heavy winds, now say the job should have been finished , despite the heavy winds. we do what we can. we could not take the month of november off, but because of high winds/rain, everyone here did what they could in spite of the bad conditions. the job was to be paid in full at completetion. it was agreed (by both parties) that since she wouldn't be there the next day, when the job would be completed, that a check would be left. she screwed up, and the job was not completed due to non payment. then ignoring phone calls for weeks made it apparent, she had every intention on stiffing him. the guys that say he should have completed the job for this one time client, and mailed a bill, i'm curious, what is your source for running credit checks when you do this, and does the client need to sign a consent form before you run that credit check?

PMLAWN
01-03-2005, 11:14 AM
Bobby- of the $34.068.00 I billed for Nov, about $10.000 was for one time customers. Mostly for aeration. As of the 29th (last time I went to the mail box) all but two of the invoices had been payed. (I give 30 day net) and of the 2 that were left I have no concrens. Of the checks I recieved I did have one bounce and the customer called me before I called him. He said that Christmas spending messed him up and He would make up this week. Again no concern. Most of the fall work is between 2-500 dollars and not worth getting deposits on. The time is not worth it. I also tell people NOT to leave a check because I dont want the crews dealing with money and even if I pick it up I have a hard time keeping track so I bill at the end of the month and just go to the mail box.
I credit check people when they rent houses from me but never when they do maintenance work with me. That again would be a waste of time. If I remember you wife is in Real Estate so she can help you get the credit checks.
Now if the job I do is going to get into $500 to $1000 than I will think about deposit. Over $1000 for sure. Maybe tell your friend to set a limit of $200.00 or more makes deposit necesary.
Not sure if relocating is a option for you but it seems that the people in other parts of the country are much nicer to do business with. Look into moving south and improving you lifestyle. Just a thought.

Have a happy 05

elmo1537
01-03-2005, 11:31 AM
the job was to be paid in full at completetion. it was agreed (by both parties) that since she wouldn't be there the next day, when the job would be completed, that a check would be left

you said it yourself the job was never completed so why would she leave a check, it sounds like that your friend never was really expecting to finish the job and is using the excuse of her not leaving a check as a way out

elmo1537
01-03-2005, 11:34 AM
the job was to be paid in full at completetion.
you said it yourself the job was never completed so why would she even want to pay him, yes she should have left a check who is to say something happened so that she couldn't or maybe even forgot to. it sounds like your friend never was really expecting to finish the job and is using the excuse of her not leaving a check as a way out

bobbygedd
01-03-2005, 11:39 AM
so basically, you extend credit on a "throw it to the wind" type basis? i'm not bashing. i'm done bashing. i'm trying to get to the root of my, and others in my areas problems. one BIG GIANT factor is a trust issue. yes, every business has this trust issue, but lawn services seem to be the only ones extending credit without a credit check or some form of colateral. in this particular case, mistake #1 was working with no contract. this individual has been in business 20+ yrs and has never used a contract. there was a however a verbal agreement. i don't want to hear that he should have finished the job in hurricane force winds. weather is an issue, and needs to be dealt with by the contractor, and understood by the customer. the fact that he did show up and attempt the cleanup in gale force winds should have been encouraging. now, the bottom line is on the workable day at hand, there was a payment arrangement. i feel the client voided the verbal agreement by not adhearing to the payment arrangement. the biggest problem we have here is , when you try to run a lawn business, like a real business, you're fighting the odds. how many clients would submit to a credit check? most of you have already stated alot of clients jump back 10 feet when presented with a contract, how will they respond when i ask them for a credit history check? get what i'm saying? it's almost impossible to run a lawn business like a real business, because of "past practice." that's right, the people in this field for the last 50 yrs have been working without contracts, extending credit without credit checks, late fees, penalties, etc. they are basically throwing it into the wind and hoping it pans out. i'm not about to put my livelyhood in the hands of clients on a "i hope they pay me" basis.

bobbygedd
01-03-2005, 11:42 AM
you said it yourself the job was never completed so why would she even want to pay him, yes she should have left a check who is to say something happened so that she couldn't or maybe even forgot to. it sounds like your friend never was really expecting to finish the job and is using the excuse of her not leaving a check as a way out
i would call you a retart, but that would be a compliment. the agreement was that a check would be left. the customer voided the agreement therefor aborting the job.

packerbacker
01-03-2005, 11:49 AM
i would call you a retart, but that would be a compliment. the agreement was that a check would be left. the customer voided the agreement therefor aborting the job.

Didnt your "friend" void it first by not completing the job?

elmo1537
01-03-2005, 11:56 AM
it is very simple when you go to a doctor and they send you a bill in the mail. that is extending credit without a credit check. if you do not pay they send you the same bill with a late fee. if this cycle continues they will either take you to small claims court (which by the way only cost 50 dollar plus the time you have to take out of your day to go to court) or they send you to a collection agency (which usually cost you little because that collection agency gets their money from taking on their own fee and usually all you have to do is email them a bill or send them a fax once you have sent up a collection agreement) the collection agency then goes and gets your money for you and if you have it set up right they will either send you a check and deposit it directly into your account. i dont throw any of my money into the wind on the "i hope they pay me" basis because i know one way or the other i will get my money. credit check or not

packerbacker
01-03-2005, 12:00 PM
it is very simple when you go to a doctor and they send you a bill in the mail. that is extending credit without a credit check. if you do not pay they send you the same bill with a late fee. if this cycle continues they will either take you to small claims court (which by the way only cost 50 dollar plus the time you have to take out of your day to go to court) or they send you to a collection agency (which usually cost you little because that collection agency gets their money from taking on their own fee and usually all you have to do is email them a bill or send them a fax once you have sent up a collection agreement) the collection agency then goes and gets your money for you and if you have it set up right they will either send you a check and deposit it directly into your account. i dont throw any of my money into the wind on the "i hope they pay me" basis because i know one way or the other i will get my money. credit check or not

Agreed but the doctor also completes his work and he actually EARNED the money. he didnt put ih half the stitches or only put a cast on half the arm and expect to be paid the entire amount

elmo1537
01-03-2005, 12:04 PM
Agreed but the doctor also completes his work and he actually EARNED the money. he didnt put ih half the stitches or only put a cast on half the arm and expect to be paid the entire amount

I was just trying to explain why you don't have to run a credit check on one time customers. But I do agree he has to finish the job first.

PMLAWN
01-03-2005, 12:12 PM
Yes, you are right Bobby, that this business has a history of money problems.
and no I would not expect you to put you business at the mercy of the wind.
So, to help in the future, Deposit.
Now about the job at hand I have just come up with the solution.
You say that there were Hurricane and Gale force winds. Just tell the customer that they did the job and the place looked great but the hurricane wind blew leaves all over from the neighbors place and now the neighbor owes her money. J/K

bobbygedd
01-03-2005, 12:25 PM
that's pretty funny, the doctors here require payment BEFORE they even see you. and, in some cases if the patient does not have the money, or a check with him/her,or a credit card, the doctor will NOT see them. ok, so, we are making progress here. i see that it is standard to do business on a handshake and a prayer.

yrdandgardenhandyman
01-03-2005, 01:20 PM
that's pretty funny, the doctors here require payment BEFORE they even see you. and, in some cases if the patient does not have the money, or a check with him/her,or a credit card, the doctor will NOT see them. ok, so, we are making progress here. i see that it is standard to do business on a handshake and a prayer.

Is it possible that everyone in your part of Jersey has trouble meeting their financial obligations? Like was said, move south where people have more character. Or at least to a different part of Jersey. Most of the people around here would drop you like a hot rock if you asked for a credit check on a $400.00 lawn cleanup. And you are right. We are just above the paperboy around here. But only to the low end customers. The ones who have trouble paying. The customers who matter, pay on time and *do* respect the job we do and pay well for it.
But, you run *your* business your way and I'll run mine, my way. Maybe you just rub people the wrong way. People skills man. People skills.
No, we can't let them walk all over us and some aspects of the view customers have of us have got to change. But that takes time. Landowners have been hiring the "lawnboy" longer than we've been alive.

sethsodsquad
01-04-2005, 01:30 AM
Whoaaaa! Chill out guys. Since he knows all the answers - why doesn't he have the answer to his friend's problem?

Seth