PDA

View Full Version : does the client pay?

bobbygedd
01-01-2005, 04:40 PM
you are hired to transplant 3 trees. you do the job, you bill the client. the client calls and says that during the tranplant, he thinks you broke a sprinkler pipe. you still havn't been paid for the transplasnting ($200). do you demand payment first for the transplant, or, do u first address the sprinkler pipe issue?

PLM-1
01-01-2005, 04:56 PM
I would prolly do it at the same time. But I would get my money first and then look at the pipe second. They may just be looking for a reason to delay paying. Make sure you take your shovel!

mbella
01-01-2005, 05:48 PM
Bobby, before we start a job, irrigation/unerground lines are discussed. We inform the customer that we are not responsible for hitting irrigation lines that are not properly marked or that fall within the work area. The only way I would take responsibility is if they were properly marked, not in the work area and one of my guys hit one because he overdug or just wasn't paying attention.

Ric
01-01-2005, 06:53 PM
Bobby, before we start a job, irrigation/unerground lines are discussed. We inform the customer that we are not responsible for hitting irrigation lines that are not properly marked or that fall within the work area. The only way I would take responsibility is if they were properly marked, not in the work area and one of my guys hit one because he overdug or just wasn't paying attention.

Mbella

We are not responsible for under ground damage. We can not be responsible for something we can not see. However we will repair irrigation lines since we are licensed to do at an additional charge. Electric cable or phone etc. we are unable to legally repair. Please sign our release forum if you want us to do the work, Thank you.

Yes a simple irrigation pipe we will fix for free. However should it be an involved process then it charged by the hour.

Release forums save a lot of problem. Anyone putting a shovel in the ground, or driving a skid steer on to a property should have a release forum.

BooBy

No release forum then you pay for the repair. Cut and dry.

mbella
01-01-2005, 09:06 PM
Ric, I agree. I was pointing out that in the rare event an employee dug where he wasn't supposed to and the lines were marked, I would assume responsibility. I only point this out because it happened to me.

Irrigation was marked and an employee trenched where he wasn't supposed to. I assumed responsibility. What was the alternative. "Mrs. Smith I know you had the lines marked and I also know that we weren't supposed to trench over there, but I have to charge you anyway." I don't think so.

Other than a situation like that, I agree 100%.

jimslawns
01-01-2005, 09:09 PM
I've had problems with that "Mrs. Smith" too!!!!!! :waving:

RedWingsDet
01-01-2005, 09:14 PM
Just fix it and get your money. It shouldnt cost more than 5 dollars for 2 fittings, 4 clamps, and some pvc. and shouldnt take more than 3 minutes to fix once ya find the leak. So figure max 15 minutes to fix it. Oh, and charge em $225 sense it took you had to return to do additional work. Also, maybe she forgot to blow out the pipes, and they froze and got a crack, and it just so happened to be when you were transplating the trees, but then again why would you be transplanting in 34 degree weather.