PDA

View Full Version : Selling grass as mulch?

Tinkerer
01-01-2005, 06:08 PM
I get requests from time to time to sell grass as mulch cover for gardens. They always want it from lawns that aren't treated with chemicals. I wonder if non chemical fertilized grass would be safe for this? One problem I see is the grass needs to be dried first before delivery. I rent an apartment so I don't have my own lawn that I could mow, dry, then pickup & deliver per requests. Anyone have success in this area?

sildoc
01-02-2005, 06:25 PM
Every year my neighbor asks if he can have several yards of grass clippings (straight grass no other debris) for his garden. He tills it into existing soil. I give it to him for free since I don't have to go to the dump and pay. Plus he is a neighbor. I can't see a great profit in this but hey if you can sell it do it.

J Hisch
01-02-2005, 06:54 PM
Grass clippings alone. I dont see big dividends but in making composte to sell that could be quite different. However, in the apartment you couldnt do it.

GroundKprs
01-02-2005, 07:00 PM
Not great idea to try to sell it. But for many years I gave most of my clippings to vegetable gardeners. They do not have to be dried to be used, but they should not have recently been treated with herbicides - tomatoes especially are very susceptable to minor amounts of certain herbicides.

To mulch effectively with grass clippings, shake them lightly 2" thick over clean soil. If you are mulching around very small plants, you could leave a bare ring about 6-8" across around the plant - grass will give off heat in immediate decay. (Once grass has browned, then fill in up to the tender plants.)

After the first application has completely browned, it will be less than 1/4" deep. Then you add another 2" of fresh grass. That is all you will need for the whole season for weed control and moisture retention. I have pulled grass clipping mulch off a garden with no irrigation during a 2 week dry spell in July, and the ground underneath was still very moist - even surface had not dried out.

Putting grass too deep is the most common problem. Then it cannot dry, and you can get smell and fungus. Years ago, and retired farmer (still did 1/2 acre by hand) had me deliver grass clippings just after garden was tilled, before he was ready to put in plants, so weeds could not get started.

Was not dollars in my pocket, but dumping time was practically nil, because many of the users were in the areas we were cutting.