PDA

View Full Version : 2-Cycle repairs

Craig Turf Management
01-26-2001, 05:00 PM
I am looking for some information on repairing 2 cycle equipment. What I would really like is a shop manual so that I can learn to repair my trimmers, blowers etc. A tune up for my Echo trimmer and a new primer bulb cost me 85.00. I'm sure that I could do these repairs myself, but am not sure about carb adjustments and rebuilds. All of my equipment is Echo, but I am thinking of switching to Stihl as the Echo wears out. Appreciate any help that I can get.
Thanks, Bill

mowerman90
01-26-2001, 08:10 PM
I'd love to see the itemized bill you received from your tune-up. If the dealer didn't replace the carb or fit new piston rings how can he justify $85 for a new plug and adj carb? I'd be a look'n for a new dealer -fast!

bdemir
01-26-2001, 08:43 PM
Bill,

You can rebuild the engine and put in an after market carb for about 160. yourself and it is not hard just start taking things apart and pay attention to how they go back together. I did it myself for the first time on a shindaiwa(carb replacement) and on a red max blower(engine rebuild). On the red max i put in a new piston, piston rings and the block which ran me around a hundered dollars and was very easy and runs like new again. If you are spending 85 for a tuneup then just go out and buy a new carb and they are not hard to put on. ALso running amsoil and high octane gas and keeping the shaft greased should be keep them running good where you wont need a tuneup. There is not much to these machines just a spark plug, a carburator(rebuild or put new) ,and a piston and a block. If you take them apart then you can figure them out easy.

Bedros

Craig Turf Management
01-26-2001, 08:55 PM
I know that I got a bad deal on the tune-up. That's my point. I intend to learn more about the repairs, and fix such minor things myself. My dealer was recently bought-out by another company, and the shop prices sure seem higher. I can take things apart, and put them back together pretty well, but it's things like carb adjustments that I'm not sure of. Still looking for some literature. E-mail me, and I will pass along the name of this outfit that repaired my trimmer.
Thanks much, Bill

Bluegrass Lawn Service
01-26-2001, 09:43 PM
Just about all of my two cycle stuff is Echo. They are not hard to work on and like you I hate to take it to a dealer. Working on the carb is nothing. You can take the carb apart in to places. On the side of the primer bulb and on the opposite side. I soak it with carb cleaner and then blow ALL HOLES out with air hose. You don't need a carb kit if your careful taking apart. Just make a space on your workbench, lay down a clean shop towel to keep everything straight. The outside side jet screw is high speed the inside screw is low speed. When you put them back in screw them out two turns and that should get you restarted and then adjust the high speed first for best running condition. Then adjust the low speed so that when you give it the gas it dosen't stall and then you should be ready to trim up a storm. I would stay with one brand that way when you start wearing out equipment you always have spare parts. I hope this might help. It's hard to explain. Just jump in and do it. $85.00 bucks is about 1/2 the price of a 2100 echo trimer. Remember more Chips for me less chips for them.

CCLC
01-26-2001, 09:46 PM
Look on Ebay for the repair books for those. I have purchase ones for Stihl off of ebay.

mowerman90
01-27-2001, 12:23 AM
Write Echo and have them send you an owners manual for your stuff. Most of the manuals have minor adjustments explained fairly well. I agree with Bluegrass about sticking with the same brand. I do the same. Last year I needed a carb for my Echo 2601 trimmer but it wasn't in stock at my dealer (he ordered it) so I just took one off of my extra edger as a temporary fix till the new one arrived. That's one of the nice things about having your 2 stroke equipment of the same brand.

Craig Turf Management
01-27-2001, 02:35 PM
I am thankful for all of your input. Hope I can return the favor someday.
Bill