PDA

View Full Version : John Deere Gator question

Lawnchoice
01-01-2005, 10:21 PM
I am considering getting a used Gator this winter/spring and then a hydroseeder to go in the bed.

We service larger properties and will be able to get to the areas that need hydroseed applications much easier.

Does anyone know what the older 97-2000 models payload is? The 6 wheel model is probably more than the 4 wheeled unit. How have these units held up over time? I have never personally used one.

The seeder that I am looking at will run just a little bit over 1/2 ton wet. Just want to make sure I am not going to be taxing the Gator too much.

Thanks,

out4now
01-01-2005, 10:37 PM
Said on the Deere site 1000 lbs capacity. We used one at work once when our 855 was in the shop, was ok but couldn't run any attachments that we needed everyday. BobCat's tool cat has rating of 2000lbs. Do you currently have a compact tractor? If you're going to buy a skid model for the seeder you could stick it on a trailer and have the tractor for other implementsalso and if it needs replacement before the seeder you could rent a tractor and keep pulling the trailer. As for maintence like I said we didn't have it for more than a day but the mechanic always had a few in the shop at any one time out of a fleet of 10 so by that I can only guess that they hold up well. Anyone else?

Lawnchoice
01-01-2005, 10:43 PM
Yeah the site says 1k for the payload but I am interested in a good used unit.

I do have a 870 JD but don't want to have a seperate trailer, etc. Want to be able to just place the unit in the back of the Gator, fill and go.

I had heard last week that the older units had a higher payload? Who knows.

GreenMonster
01-01-2005, 10:43 PM
Nate, my 2000 (i think) has a payload of 800lbs. I believe the diesel is 1k.

You can come up and try that too if you want :D

Lawnchoice
01-01-2005, 10:47 PM
Didn't know you had one Mark, thanks for the info.

I am wrapping up a couple of projects this week, once those are done maybe we could meet up somewhere between us.

SWD
01-01-2005, 10:54 PM
I have run/maintained most Deere gators from the old AMT600 five wheel models to the 6 wheel diesel units. I wouldn't go over 700 lbs max as the drive mechanisms suffer much more rapid wear. Look into a good, used Cushman/Ransomes utility vehicle, much stronger and less money.

bob
01-01-2005, 11:02 PM
I'm on my 2nd Gator. I went from a 4x2 gas to a 6x4 diesel. The diesel will haul whatever you put in. The 04 brochue says 1000lbs for the diesel cargo box, but 1400lbs for the payload capacity. This means (2) 200lb riders and 1000lbs of cargo. The 6x4 gas is 200lbs less. I've used mine to tow my empty landscaping trailer around the back of my property for storage. The empty trailer weighs 1700 lbs. I'll try to dig up a photo showing how much stuff I've hauled with it.