PDA

View Full Version : Ready to start business.....Wife say's........

FNA LAWN & LANDSCAPE
01-01-2005, 10:47 PM
NO!

What do I do????? I'm so gung-ho to get this business off and running RIGHT NOW, but the wife is concerend that I will not bring home any money!!! She is also scared that I will have no time for her, no time to do things around the house and so on!!

I'm a 100% confident that I can build a successful business. I know that I can generate a decent income.

My wife works and takes care of my medical insurance thru her employer.

We own a 3600 square foot home that we just recently purchased and applied monies from the sale of another home we had. We presently have a mortgage (not including property taxes) for $800 per month.

My wife makes 60K+ per year, we have 2 children.

I presently earn 50K per year, but am gone 20+ weeks a year traveling with the company.

I love my wife dearly, never want to hurt her feelings, but at the same time...I want to run my own business.

Has anyone else gone thru this???? It feels like my brain is ready to explode worrying about hurting my relationship if I go forward with this venture.

HELP!

out4now
01-01-2005, 11:16 PM
Doesn't sound like she's very supportive. It may take awhile to get back to making that sort of cash again too. If she make s that much she must be educated so show her what your strategy is and how you think you will get this done. See if she will help you do a business plan or a feasibillity study. For now you can work on it while you're on the road and no working. On the plane, hotel etc, (unless you're a driver or something). She wants to feel "secure" even though there is no such thing in life and of course you will have to put in some serious time to get going. Do you have at least enough to maiintain your style of life long enough to get the profits comming in the door? When all the sudden you say well we can't do this or that and all you do is work on the biz, she won't like that and you'll be in divorce court. Is your state community property? If so she gets half the debt and probably half the business you set up if you get divorced. Some things to consider.

65hoss
01-02-2005, 01:12 AM
Detailed business plan. Women need and want security. You need to show her exactly what you want to do with it. You need her in your corner if its going to work.

My wife has been very supportive, but she can sometimes go a little nuts when I buy stuff. Its hard for her to understand how I can not blink an eye and drop $8k on something. What women don't always understand is spending money to make money. If I need or want to expand some areas I will research it to death. I will examine and re-examine. So when I make up my mind, I open the checkbook up without hesitation or worry. Its hard to get her to understand that, but my track record with its been good so far.

You need to convince her, not make her see it your way. Educate her on the fact that you are being educated also. Put her mind to ease and she will be more receptive.

FNA LAWN & LANDSCAPE
01-02-2005, 11:04 AM
Detailed business plan. Women need and want security. You need to show her exactly what you want to do with it. You need her in your corner if its going to work.

My wife has been very supportive, but she can sometimes go a little nuts when I buy stuff. Its hard for her to understand how I can not blink an eye and drop $8k on something. What women don't always understand is spending money to make money. If I need or want to expand some areas I will research it to death. I will examine and re-examine. So when I make up my mind, I open the checkbook up without hesitation or worry. Its hard to get her to understand that, but my track record with its been good so far.

You need to convince her, not make her see it your way. Educate her on the fact that you are being educated also. Put her mind to ease and she will be more receptive.

That has to be the best advice!!!! You descibed my wife perfectly!! She does not have the understanding of spending money to make money like you stated!! Without her in my corner, my business will not be 100% complete.

THANKS!!!

mowin4$
01-02-2005, 04:02 PM
i think if you have confidence in yourself to start & grow a lawn biz , then start small to show her what kind of $ you can make.if you can do it , it will give her confidence in you. i work for a municipality full time & run my biz on the side. i've been doing this almost 10 years now.at one time my partner & i were doing 65 lawns per week & 35 more for other jobs (like mulch , hedge trimming , etc.) ,all part time working from 4pm- dark. he left 4 years ago & now i make 3 times what i made our last year together & only work 20 hours a week instead of 40 part time.last year i got into snowplowing some of my customers & became a sub contracted plow for someone also.i cut 30 yards per week with a 52" & 2 36" scag hydros.the last 2 years i averaged $28000-$30000 per year.i do this so my wife can stay home w/ my 2 boys.my full time job gets me my health ins.,vacation,pension,etc,.my wife is very supportive & understands what i have to do so she can raise our kids.if i can do this part time makin 30k, you can easilly double that & be home every day.my friend does 62 lawn/week , can drop kids off at school if needed,attend school functions,& make 70k-80k/year inc. snow removal.
good luck.

jamo1911
01-04-2005, 06:49 PM
NO!

She is also scared that I will have no time for her, no time to do things around the house and so on!!

I presently earn 50K per year, but am gone 20+ weeks a year traveling with the company.

HELP!

Sounds like she is contradicting herself there, Afraid you will have no time for her?? BS you are gone almost 40% of the year.
Anyway, like the other guys said. Show her that you have this thing well planned out. Have you ever told her before you wanted to do something and did not start or started and did not finish? If you did - she will be afraid this is going to happen again, except this time you quit your job too. Good luck!!!
James

SoloMow
01-06-2005, 02:31 PM
I had to chuckle at your wife's reaction to your plans. It is so typical of women. Most women think of money like water in a pond. There's only so much of it and when it's gone, it's GONE! Conversely, most men think of money like water in a stream. There's always going to be more of it coming along shortly because MONEY FLOWS! Chalk it up to how differently male and female brains are hard-wired. :) Good Luck.

Patrick.B
01-07-2005, 05:31 PM
Like they say you will have to start small and work your way up ..my wife was like that to at first ....she didn't like me quitting my last job and started a lawn business ,,,,all she was saying what if we don't make it or what if No body call ..well ...i fix her and went out and went to door to door try to get some work and put my name on ad's in paper ...two months i was making twice more money then i was making with my other job ....Heck you be your own boss and take off when you feel like it ,,,,but when you have 40 to 50 customer you have to stay on it but st least you be home every night ,,,,she be okay just do what in your heart ,,,,good luck and God Bless all Lawn Services ......:)

FNA LAWN & LANDSCAPE
01-07-2005, 08:35 PM
Thanks again everyone!!! I think I'll be putting together a proper business plan for myself, the business and most of all.....my wife!!!!!

I know that a business plan helps you go in a proper direction with your operation, but hopefully in my situation....it keeps my marriage together as well!!!!

Can't wait to get this going!!!!

I guess I'll be on here using the SEARCH feature a lot!!

Thanks again!

tjgray
03-01-2005, 11:50 AM
But I thought I would give you a point of view from the fairer sex :)

For many years my husband talked of getting out from under the ol boss man and making the big bucks for himself instead of someone else.

For many years I stopped him with how are we going to live and pay bills while you drum up customers?

His solution to my concerns was to talk to his employer and get him to agree to sub-contract out to us and to get an evening part time job for those times when work was slim.

We have been in business for a year now. My husband works 3 or 4 days sub-contracting and spends the other 2 or 3 days working on building our own customer base. We ended the year with 25K and 10 monthly customers and expect to triple that figure for this year :)

I actually got the best end of the deal because I got to quit my rat race corporate marketing job and apply my skills to our own company. I am able to be at home during the day and have time to do things like work in my gardens, be homemaker, spend time with my children and their activities, volunteer in my community, continue my education by reading and utilizing industry sites such as this one, spend time with friends, and enjoy my animals etc....no more punching the time clock for me, my time is now my time :)

Yes it was a tight budget this year and I had to cut corners by doing things such as my nails and hair at home instead of the salon, grocery shopping at several stores to catch all of the specials, and doing away with any new wadrobe expenses but the extra time, freedom in my schedule and the lack of laundry to do on the weekends has been far worth it :D

And yes my husband does work a lot so our time together is limited but after 17 years of marriage who needs to see each other all the time anyway.....plus it makes the time we do have together all the more valuable *the industry conversations we have had lately are sexy.....I don't think we have communicated this much in our entire marriage :D *

Hope the day goes well for all :waving:

Eho
03-01-2005, 10:55 PM
maybe you should try to pick up about 8-10 lawns this year. Maybe just do one or two per night or a few on the weekends in your free time. This will give you some practice at the biz while keeping the real job. It will give you some extra cash so when you re ready for your biz to go big, you ll have some extra cash set up to buy some nicer equipment. Try doing it small time for this year and see if this changes her mind. Let me know how it goes.
EHO