PDA

View Full Version : mounting shelves on Luan walls?

fga
01-02-2005, 11:14 AM
any advice on how to mount a sturdy shelf unit without destroying the luan. My father in law is a master carpenter, and i know he uses some strong liquid adhesives.
what i'm looking to do in the front of the trailer is similar to this.. but with more of them. like a small workbench in the middle, with shelves and partitions on top and bottom of the bench.
i think i can pre build it,then just adhere it or somehow attatch it to the front wall. i just don't want to poke through the outter skin of the trailer!

also, i like the idea Doc Pete has with the 2 x 4's and clamps for the trimmers. would i mount them also to the luan, or how would you attatch them to a beam, self tapping metal screws?
i have some ideas, but i like to do things right the first time.

Lux Lawn
01-02-2005, 11:23 AM
Adam-When I had my enclosed trailer I used self tapping screws to mount my weed eater racks and a sprayer rack and never had any problems with them.

earthwerks unlimited
01-02-2005, 12:37 PM
For clarity, you don't mean attaching something to the luan itself, right?

If you must attach to the luan itself, you can run a 2x4 in any direction and secure with construction adhesive. However, the best way is to use self-drilling (versus self-tapping), which generally have larger heads and shanks, into the trailer structure itself. Use caution to not go too deep otherwise you'll dimple or worse-- drill right through the trailer skin. DOH! Remember all the weight you put in the trailer for storage systems is weight you can't carry for other stuff. I used light-weight modular wire shelving from Home Depot. My enclosed is 24 feet long x 8.5 wide and this worked very well. Use a small a sheet metal screw to hold or lock the shelf brackets in the standard slots (normally these are for home installations and don't need to consider vibration and jouncing)

jim dailey
01-02-2005, 04:41 PM
any advice on how to mount a sturdy shelf unit without destroying the luan. My father in law is a master carpenter, and i know he uses some strong liquid adhesives.
what i'm looking to do in the front of the trailer is similar to this.. but with more of them. like a small workbench in the middle, with shelves and partitions on top and bottom of the bench.
i think i can pre build it,then just adhere it or somehow attatch it to the front wall. i just don't want to poke through the outter skin of the trailer!

also, i like the idea Doc Pete has with the 2 x 4's and clamps for the trimmers. would i mount them also to the luan, or how would you attatch them to a beam, self tapping metal screws?
i have some ideas, but i like to do things right the first time.

Adam; you DO NOT want the shelves to have ONLY the Luan for support. Look at the picture to see that the 2X4's are attached THRU the Luan and into the metal rib supports of the trailer. Always use those metal ribs in your support for the construction, and you will be alright. Make sure to figure the length of the screws, be exact, and you will not have to worry about the skin of the trailer. Enjoy it, it looks real nice.