PDA

View Full Version : Organic Preventive For Insects in Winter Flowers

ed2hess
01-02-2005, 03:35 PM
I would like to use some organic alternative to Telstar for preventing bugs from getting into pancies, snapdragons, etc. I am not talking about slugs and snails I unfortunately have found that organic alternative does not give good protection on these. Don't ask me what kind of bugs, all I know is Telstar kept them clean. I do a lot of commericial flowers and have found that the use of bone meal, hastogrow, seaweed, and compos/tea really does a good job. This has been a very bad year for winter flowers...but mine is hanging in and I think it is the organics. :help:

Dchall_San_Antonio
01-11-2005, 12:37 PM
I use liquid seaweed diluted 2 ounces to a quart of water. Spray every 2 weeks.

You didn't really mention any organic fertilizer (besides HastaGro - see below)). I use corn meal under everything to prevent almost all fungal disease (10-20 pounds per 1,000 square feet). I'm starting to spray with diluted milk, too. Dilute 1/3 cup or any kind of milk per gallon of water. Foliar spray to mist 2,500 square feet.

Even though the Hastagro headquarters is sort of in my neighborhood, I don't really like their products. If you like it, use it, but I use my money for corn meal.

ed2hess
01-15-2005, 12:57 PM
I started using cornmeal before I plant flowers....but could not find it in Austin near the end of the year!! Thanks for the response.

Dchall_San_Antonio
01-18-2005, 06:04 PM
I get mine at feed stores. John Dromgoole's store should carry it. It used to be called Garden-Ville but I think he bought it out and it has a new name.

ed2hess
01-19-2005, 09:08 PM
Yep you are correct....he has the corn meal. I am going down this week to pick their brains on organics. I listen to his show on 590 on saturday and sunday. In the meantime I am spraying flowers with seaweed and milk, and so far so good. Would blood meal be better than hasta-gro for fetilize? I have the best flowers this year on ALL my commericial sites, than I ever had! I am also putting compost tea on monthly.

Dchall_San_Antonio
01-30-2005, 10:29 PM
If you're in Austin and spraying compost tea, you absolutely NEED to talk to Betsy Ross. She's northwest of you but not far. She sprays 500 acres 4 times a year so she's hopping on compost tea. Her website is www.rossfarm.com.

Blood meal by itself is not a sub for Hasta-Gro. The best fertilizer I've seen in action is Texas Tee. It's a mix of feather meal, grains, and a small amount of blood. Blood is on the dangerous side as far as I'm concerned. Too much will burn, so mixed in with the feather and grains seems like a perfect fertilizer to me.

I sprayed seaweed on my winter tomatoes and they were awesome (until they froze).

ed2hess
01-31-2005, 07:05 PM
Dave what is feather meal? can I get this at feed store?

ProMo
02-01-2005, 08:48 AM
you should learn your bugs not all of them are bad

ed2hess
02-01-2005, 05:29 PM
The bugs are aphids lots of them.....Now what do you suggest? Don't suggest bringing in good bugs and don't suggest washing them off!