PDA

View Full Version : Hiring workers

Victo
01-02-2005, 06:49 PM
Hi Pros, I got a questions to all the pros out there. I am thinking of hiring 2 amigos and I am very clear about some of the issues. Please answer to my issues below.

1. Do I need to let the workers to drive my truck(company truck) with the equiptment or they should have their own truck and they just my trailer?

2. If I let them to drive my truck (company truck), do they have to bring it back the truck and the equiptment after work or they have to take it with them to their home.

3. Is the salary differ if they have their own truck or not?

Thanks in advance for your help.

mdb landscaping
01-02-2005, 07:14 PM
your questions arent very clear. i for one know that your insurance isnt gonna cover it if you have them town with their truck and have it tow your trailer and equipment. our H2b guys drive a car home at night that we provide.

grassyfras
01-02-2005, 07:36 PM
Do you really need to use the term amigos? IF they have a license and insurance they can drive any truck

pjslawncare/landscap
01-02-2005, 07:48 PM
Question 1. they drive your truck
Question 2. They bring it back to your shop
Question 3. Not applicable

o-so-n-so
01-02-2005, 10:04 PM
I wouldn't hire anyone and just stick them in a truck or hauling my stuff around without knowing jack about them. Hire them, work with them for a while until you feel comfortable turning them loose. And still you will be liable if its your company stuff. You gotta use good judgment or it will cost you tremendously.

tx_angler
01-02-2005, 11:02 PM
From a risk standpoint allowing the employee to take the vehicle home is your (and your insurance company's) decision but there is also another matter involving the IRS. Personal use of a company vehicle might be considered a taxable benefit and you need to deduct that from their wages. Best check with both the insurance company and your CPA.

Victo
01-02-2005, 11:20 PM
Thank you for the all the opinions and guidence. I really appreciate. Thank you.

Sir mowsalot
01-02-2005, 11:34 PM
If you let them take the company truck and equipment home at the end of the day, that is to tempting for them to go out and use your equipment for their own jobs they will line up.

JKOOPERS
01-03-2005, 12:42 AM
i'll come work for ya and take your truck and equipment home and you will never see me again. payup payup payup dont trust anyone

Victo
01-03-2005, 09:43 PM
I think I got the idea about hiring workers. I think I should let them come pick-up the truck and equiptment from the shop in the morning and drop it back at the shop at the end of the work. I am just wondering about the wages. How much should it pay for each workers. Should I pay them by how many property they cut or should I pay them weekly or bi-weekly? Thanks.

SER
01-24-2005, 01:24 PM
If you are going to hire new workers, make sure they can work in the USA!
You said you were thinking of hiring some "amigos". If you are in the US you will need to fill out the I-9 form, or the EMPLOYMENT ELIGIBILITY VERIFICATION FORM. By Law you have to/Must fill out the form for each new employee hired on or after November 6, 1986. This is per the Immigration Reform and Control Act. Anyway, if you hire someone new, they must be able to prove that they can work in the US LEGALLY.
Just want all us Americans to get a fair shake first.
S.E.R. :)