PDA

View Full Version : Has anybody built their trailer?

lwcmattlifter
01-02-2005, 10:15 PM
I'm thinking about building a 6x14 tandem dump tailer. Has anyone run into any problems building one before? Is it easier to run batteries in the trailer or run power to the pack of the truck to power the pump motor. I'm leaning toward powering the electric motors from the truck so I don't have to worry about batteries dying on me. Any suggestions on pumps rams or motors?

Scag48
01-02-2005, 11:47 PM
We have a battery on our dump trailer, seems to be the only way they build them. Apparently, it charges while the truck is running. I believe you need a battery on board in case power doesn't make it from the truck to the brakes and the battery is like a back-up power supply to the brakes or something. Our gooseneck had to have a battery and it was for some reason like that, can't quite remember.

olderthandirt
01-02-2005, 11:52 PM
My suggestion is to spend a few more dollars and buy one made by a good trailer manufacturer. One small mistake now IE. axles not exactly lined up will cost you more in the long run that the extra up front cost of one manufactured.Also you need a battery on the trailor for the break away trailor brakes.

Mac

TURF DOCTOR
01-03-2005, 12:46 AM
Buy a good name trailer,it is cheaper than to build 1.

lwcmattlifter
01-04-2005, 06:55 PM
Thanks for the replies guys. Of course I am going to have a breakaway system w/battery but I was trying to figure out the best way to power the electric motor for the hyd pump. I don't want to run the pump off of the breakaway bow because I think it will draw too many amps. I was thinking about running a deep cycle battery or running power from a solenoid via alternator to the back of the truck similar to what you would with a winch.

olderthandirt
01-04-2005, 07:21 PM
Thanks for the replies guys. Of course I am going to have a breakaway system w/battery but I was trying to figure out the best way to power the electric motor for the hyd pump. I don't want to run the pump off of the breakaway bow because I think it will draw too many amps. I was thinking about running a deep cycle battery or running power from a solenoid via alternator to the back of the truck similar to what you would with a winch.
If you have the 7 post camper plug the middle post is your charge wire. Wire the battery from the trailor to the plug and when your plugged in you will be charging the battery on the trailor and if your dumping an extra heavy load it will need a couple more amps and you can just give the truck a little more gas to produce a a few more. Its the same as if you were trying to jump a dead battery, alternator produces more amps at a higher rpm

Mac

ProSvcs
01-07-2005, 05:25 AM
I just bought a 32' enclosed las year for the equipment. I will be converting my 28' lawn trailer to a dum trailer this summer. The other thought, which has worked out well for me, I bought a Truckcraft dump bed for the pickup. I can haul up to 5000lbs in the slide in dump bed and remove it when not in use. The reason that I am building one it that in a lot of cases, I need to haul more than 5000 lbs and dont like making multiple trips.

I have looked at the way the pumps are done and it appears that the manufacturers use an auto starter motor to run the pump, Hydraulic pump from tractor supply and a Ram from the same place. The whole hrdraulic setup could be done for under 800.00.

Jim

lwcmattlifter
01-07-2005, 10:01 AM
I found the same thing from Northern. Are you going to use one big ram under the center of the bed or two smaller ones on each side of the trailer. I have seen it done both ways. I think that it would be a lot easier to go with one large scissor ram under the bed like a dump truck. I'm avoiding the truck insert because it wont be able to haul as much material and over time they warp the truck bed to the point that when you take it out the tailgate will no longer fit right.

ProSvcs
01-07-2005, 10:18 PM
I will use a two rams. It works out costing less for me. (A single high capacity costs more than two lower capacity) I also believe that it will be less likely to sway to one side or the other.

As for the dump boby warping the bed, I am unaware of that issue. It doesnt matter to me anyway. I reinforced the base of the dump body as well how it mounts. I dont think I will have an issue with it.

Jim