PDA

View Full Version : LCO's in the Tropics (FL, HI, etc)

baka
01-03-2005, 04:12 AM
Meanwhile the rest of the folks on this board are freezin' thier bums off, I just wanted to ask some of the guys who are working in the tropical climates. I need to find a good resource that I can learn more about the specific problems that we face (bugs are huge here in Maui). Anyone got a good webpage, good book, or just wanna post what they had to face that is unique to workin in tropical/subtropical environments. One of mine is learning about the different fungi/bugs that affect the grasses here.

Cheers! BAKA

desert rose gardening
01-03-2005, 09:49 AM
It sure is nice to work all year! Thats why Im in this kind of work.

Fantasy Lawns
01-03-2005, 01:02 PM
Not quite in a "tropical" zone here in the Space Coast ....but it is 77 right now at noon on the 3rd day of the new year

Here's a great link that I like to use

http://edis.ifas.ufl.edu/TOPIC_BOOK_Florida_Lawn_Handbook

TClawn
01-03-2005, 01:54 PM
Baka, the maui community college has some very good classes on bug identification and plant ID. in fact there is a VITEC class coming up there that teaches all about these different species of plants in hawaii. go the MCC and check it out.
btw, VITEC has a whole landscape, irrigation and plant section in there information booklet. see if you can get one from them.

chris.

KINGjosh
01-03-2005, 01:57 PM
the main bug you have to worry about is the chinch bug,try to avoid cutting wet grass as that could start fungus growth

TClawn
01-03-2005, 02:14 PM
you especially have to watch out for the mealy bugs on the plants. they are very invasive to ornamentals.

baka
01-03-2005, 11:23 PM
thanks everyone. I'm still learning how and what bug breakouts look like.

Here's a quick question: Banana trees, how much to we trim? Do we pull off the dying fronds or just let them fall and pick them up. The trees I see have a lot of brown junk on them like dying leaves and branches.

Also when to chop off the banana bunch?

Cheers!

TClawn
01-03-2005, 11:36 PM
baka, I always cut of the brown leaves that are hanging down. it helps to prevent bugs from growing in the little pocket of water that form at the base of those leaves when you water. it also makes the whole property looked cared for instead of "let go".

you chop off a banana bunch when the bananas become plump and start to take on a rounded shape. if you look at small bananas you will see harsh corners. on a mature banana you will see "soft corners" this means that they have reached there full maturaty. don't forget to cut off the flower when it done making bananas. it leaves more energy to go to the bananas them selves. after a banana has produced you should cut it down. they only give you bananas once.