PDA

View Full Version : Dixon mowers-are they any good?

forgop
01-03-2005, 06:02 AM
It seems as though nobody on this board seems to really talk about them, so I thought I'd see what the consensus was on them. I know they're not in the league with any of the top mowers out there, but was just curious if they'd be worthy of consideration if the price is right, as they do tend to run on the lower end from what I've seen.

Keep in mind, I have yet to buy my first real mower and don't have a lot to invest until I make some money in the biz first, but will they give me a quality cut? Thanks for any feedback you can give me.

J&R
01-03-2005, 07:44 AM
They will give a good cut but not hold up to every day use.

ChadA
01-03-2005, 09:11 AM
The LCO I used to work for before I went solo had two dixons. A 48" and A 60" I think. They were the only ZTR's he owned and they worked great. Both gear drive. They were used maybe 20 hours a week. Never any problems though, other than a belt once in a while.

DSIM
01-03-2005, 10:41 AM
I bought my first ztr last June. It was an old 1991 Dixon transaxle drive. I won it on Ebay. :D
I paid $550 for it and had to drive to Houston to pick it up. I got a ticket on the way so that added another $150 to it. :realmad:

The mower looked worse in person than in the picture!! It was in bad shape. Somebody ran that thing in the ground and it still started right up. I replaced the spindles, altenator, battery, bearings and blades,then used it for about a month. It was a 42". It cut great after I did the maintenance on it. It was loud from the transaxle chains. O yea, I replaced a sprocket too.
I ended up selling it for $900. For it to have lasted that long and been so abused and still running says something. Dixon has been in business selling ztr's since the 70's. They also have commercial z's with same warranties and other companies.
One thing I liked about this mower was that it weighed only about 350 lbs. You could mow soaking wet lawns with it and not rut them.
I was just glad none of the other lco's saw me on it. :D

Mowerboy04
01-03-2005, 05:08 PM
my friend started out with one he had it for a year or to and had to replace the transmission and the axle and some other stuff i think he told me all it was was trouble

Travis Followell
01-03-2005, 06:59 PM
Dixon now has a line of commercial mowers that will hold up to heavy use. I'm not really sure how well they would perform but they are not little residential grade mowers like Dixon is known for. The commercial line has pumps and wheel motors instead of a transaxle and look to be built pretty good. From what i've seen the prices seem to be very resonable also.

WoodBrothersLC
01-03-2005, 08:45 PM
Honestly, answer this question, what's the ratio of Wright, Exmark, Hustler, Dixie Chopper, and Encore mowers to Dixon? Enough said.

forgop
01-04-2005, 01:52 AM
I'm actually eye balling a brand new walk behind actually. I think they're new for 2005.

jiw22
01-04-2005, 02:05 AM
dixie chopper made the 1's ones an sold them out that tells me something.thats when grasshooper an dixon was crossed to make the dixie chopper :cool2:

DSIM
01-04-2005, 10:29 AM
dixie chopper made the 1's ones an sold them out that tells me something.thats when grasshooper an dixon was crossed to make the dixie chopper :cool2:

from what I've read and understood, the man who came up with the Dixie Choppers looked at the Dixons and the Grasshoppers and took ideas from both but the Dixons were around longer.

Jason Rose
01-04-2005, 12:31 PM
I own Dixon mowers. Two of them in fact. Both 50" estate models, which for a while was Dixons commercial model. I have pretty good luck woth both machines. Yeah, they could be built heavier and I have broken a weld or 2, even broke the frame in half this fall on one of them. I have also owned a new Walker mower and sold it cause the Dixons out preformed, climbed, and sped the walker. Also I have owned a 52" Exmark Lazer zhp. It was almost twice the weight of the dixon models and had the same engine yet it could not really climb a hill for crap. it was so big and cumbersome to drive and manuever that it ended up in the same place as my walker, sitting in the garage collecting dust untill I sold it as well. There is no respect for dixon mowers on here but most of what people see are their 30", 36" and 42" cone drive models with smaller briggs engines. these are homeowner models guys! I personally know dozens of people that use them at home and love them. They have made big changes in all their lines this last year and you can get hydrostatic drive on even the 30" model now. The true commercial line now has hydraulic pumps and wheel motors and combined with their lighter weight are super easy to manuver and hold hills. one person I saw stated he bought a '91 unit and it was beat up, well no kidding. go find a '91 anything and unless it was used for no more than 30 min to an hour a week by joe homeowner it's going to be beat up. If anyone has questions about Dixons don't be afraid to ask me, I have used most every model and mine I know inside and out. I have looked at, demoed and even bought others but I can't find anything more fitting for my lawns than the Dixon.

Oh, forgot to mention, I am bagging all the time. admittedly they are not the best for discharging grass but they do have a full baffel mulch kit for most models now. I put one on last fall and love it.

DSIM
01-04-2005, 01:35 PM
Jason,
good info, thanks! I just want to say that when I mentioned the 91 was beat up, I also said that while it was run into the ground that it was still running! I wasnt implying I was suprised that it was in bad shape.
David

jiw22
01-04-2005, 03:16 PM
art an red come up with the both oh them an put the two togeter is what art told me years ago i live 1/2 mile from DC an know him all my life they are the two who started the ZTR'S they also had a disagreement an parted wats boy did RED ever goof up

DSIM
01-04-2005, 03:50 PM
art an red come up with the both oh them an put the two togeter is what art told me years ago i live 1/2 mile from DC an know him all my life they are the two who started the ZTR'S they also had a disagreement an parted wats boy did RED ever goof up
Jiw22,
Could you restate this again a little bit clearer?

lawnagent
02-03-2005, 02:51 PM
I have used the Dixons for years. What Jason Rose says is true. Dixonmakes a homeowners line and a commercial line. Most of these yahoos get a cone drive transaxle drive homeowner mower and use it commercial than complain cause it doesnthold up to commercial use. I have used Scag, Woods Dixie Chopper and Grasshopper and my commercial Dixon will hang with any of them. Period You can see it on my homepage. www.greenscapelawn.com

mownredneck
02-03-2005, 07:21 PM
I'm actually eye balling a brand new walk behind actually. I think they're new for 2005.

You really should re-think your wording. You used actually, one too many times! :nono:

Smalltimer1
02-03-2005, 07:33 PM
All I remember about Dixons is that they were advertised heavily around here several years back as being superior to all the big names in commercial mowing. When that didn't work out, they tried to go after the lawn tractor market, and well, that didn't work either.

iluvscag
02-03-2005, 07:46 PM
Dixie Chopper started when art who was dixon's sales rep at the time said people werent buying his mowers and the company dropped hime and he had 15 dixons left in his warehouse. He thought man i should make these better if you look dixie is almost the same desing of dixon their floor panels and deck and how the front casters are located.
He added pumps commercial engines controls couple additions to deck and that's a good machine.
My neighbor sells dixies.

Smalltimer1
02-03-2005, 07:54 PM
I saw a bunch of Dixie's at the Southern Farm Show today and saw one of those with the 2 Kohler EFI's and the 72" deck and it is like 8 or 9' wide with the wheels and all at full spacing, I don't see how the middle stands up.

MP350
02-03-2005, 08:29 PM
I have a Dixon 5022 that I just retired after 8 years. In that 8 years the only repairs have been belts, blades & some spindle bearings.One tough mower,just not the best cut. I also have a dixon 8025 which is their biggest model which is now 3 years old, but has had the same wheel motor replaced 4 times. I replaced the 5022 with a Ferris 1000 for 2 reasons cut quality & dealer service.

lawnagent
02-05-2005, 12:56 AM
Well,I hate you had a bad experience but at least you had REAL experience with a real commercial mower. Not like the many that try to compare the residentials to the commercials.

gogetter
02-05-2005, 05:14 AM
Honestly, answer this question, what's the ratio of Wright, Exmark, Hustler, Dixie Chopper, and Encore mowers to Dixon? Enough said.

I gotta laugh at that post because many would say the same thing about Encore. LOL!

As lawnagent said, you have to compare apples to apples. Not some Dixon from years ago, and not a home owner model.

If someone has experience with a NEW, commercial model Dixon, I'd be interested to read that review myself.
Anything else is just conjecture and is basically worthless.

lawnagent
03-16-2005, 11:20 PM
That is exactly right!

green with envy
03-16-2005, 11:37 PM
As soon as my wife saw the Blue color she just said are you kidding me !!!
NO way in hell.....

They look like they are fairly well built. I would be concerned about parts availability.

Mike

r.eckley
03-16-2005, 11:57 PM
I have had several DIXON mowers & had very good luck with them. I currently have a 4515 that is used to trim stones in
a cemetery, really works well to trim with. It is 2000 model
has been trouble free. Changed hydro fluid to mobil 1 ,revalved hydros &added 2 gal. window washer fluid to rear
tires. Really made mower work much smoother.

MBDiagMan
08-29-2005, 03:55 PM
I have a really early 30", cone transaxle Dixon that I bought about 6 years ago with a blown engine for $250. I had an identical engine in great shape on an otherwise junk mower that someone gave me. I transplanted the good engine to the old Dixon and mowed in the same afternoon.

After that I overhauled the transaxle and replaced about $50 or $75 worth of chains, bearings and a few miscelaneous pieces.

The little mower was a real workhorse for trimming some tight areas. I ran it for that purpose for a few years and gave it to my Dad who is in his eighties and lives in town with a small front and back yard to mow. It worked for him for quite a while before throwing a main drive chain and after that he lost confidence in running it. There is an idler roller arm for that drive chain that is not in the correct alignment and needs to be heated and bent to the correct position. I hope to get a chance to fix it for him, but he is 120 miles away.

I don't know where I could have come up with a mower that would give me so much service with no more than $350 invested.

The cone transaxle is something you love or hate. If you are good with machinery you love it. If you are good with machinery you can completely rebuild it and have it back working for very little cost and it will go for a long time.

Now, all that said, this little gadget mower offers no testimony whatsoever as to how well the hydro Dixon units will work or hold up.

Have a great day,
Doc

steve45
08-30-2005, 12:33 AM
I have owned a Dixon 308 since 1983. Granted, it is a residential model, but it is absolutely the worst product I've ever owned.

I'm pretty good at repairing it, in fact, I took it apart again tonight to adjust the transaxle again. It has had the transaxle overhauled 4 times, and 4 engines. I currently have a Kohler 12.5 HP on it. It has been highly modified to make it more reliable and easier to work on.

Parts availability is bad. There are normal replacement items that I keep in stock, but it can take weeks to get parts when you need them. My mower has been down waiting for parts 6 weeks this summer... The record was about 10 years ago when it was down waiting for parts 9 different times in one season! I called Mr. Dixon at his home about that! They called me later and asked me to become a dealer (HA!).

I'm sure that the newer models are FAR better than my old cone drive model. However, parts availability is still a major problem.

Dixon is real bad about updating a part, which requires other parts to work with it. You order the old part, get the new part, then have to special order the rest of the parts to make it work. The dealers and distributors don't have a clue what it takes to fix them.

I've finally had it with the old dog, and I've decided to look to a commercial model. That's why I'm here. I figure that I've spent over $5000 on this thing and I could have had a decent mower...

MBDiagMan
08-30-2005, 09:30 AM
steve,

Sorry to hear about your disgust with the little Dixon. I guess I am really lucky because we have the best dealer you could imagine. They have any and I mean ANY part that you can imagine for these little machines and lots of savvy with them. I have never paid them to do any work on it, but they have been very helpful with the few questions that I've had to ask them.

As with any machinery, the dealer can make all the difference. If you ever take an extended trip through farming country you will notice that as you drive from community to community the colors of the tractors will change. Going through one community you might not see any tractor except a John Deere, then the next you might only see Case/International and the next Ford and so on. That is because of the dealer in that community. If they stock parts and take care of their customers needs, they are the ones that sell most of the tractors. It's as simple as that.

BTW, welcome to lawnsite. I recently came here for the same reason as you, because I was shopping for a ZTR. I ended up buying a Bad Boy with a liquid cooled Kawasaki. Again, the dealer is fabulous and the mower is impressive. I recommend that you shop for both.

Have a great day,
Doc

david10321
03-15-2011, 02:05 PM
After reading quite a few reviews on different lawn tractors, I decided to purchase the Husqvarna Dixon D22KH46 lawnmower tractor.
Many reviews complained about the poor quality of Husqvarna products and how bad their lawn tractors are. Then I started reading about Dixon Lawn tractors and how the quality was suppose to be better.
I found positive reviews and made the purchase.
What a Mistake!

After only 5 hours on the unit, it started to fall apart. Literality parts falling off.
One of the mowers deck leveling wheels fell off. Taking a close look at it, the wheel is held on to the deck with a piece of 1 inch angle iron. The problem is the angle iron only had 1/8 of an inch of weld holding the 2 inches of bracket on to the deck.
Looking closer to the other three wheels the quality of the welds are also very poor.
My biggest concern is how is the rest of the tractor held together and what next is going to fall off my New Husqvarna Dixon Lawn tractor Mower.

Husqvarna customer service is non- existent. There website offers no way to email anyone.
You can leave a comment, like I did. I receive a short answer from a no reply email account telling me to contact one of their service centers.
Which I did, they wanted $80.00 to pick my tractor up to be evaluated.
This New Husqvarna Dixon Lawn tractor Mower only has 5 hours of use on it.
Give me a break.
My advice to anyone considering purchasing a New Husqvarna Dixon Lawn tractor Mower or any Husqvarna, DONíT!
Say Away.

What is going to happen when my New Husqvarna Dixon Lawn tractor Mower is not new anymore and has a 100 hours on it?
Did I just throw my $1800.00 away?

lawnagent
03-16-2011, 01:18 PM
First off, we were posting above about comparing apples to apples instead of apples to oranges. You replied to a thread 6 years old. Soooooo much has changed. This is an apples to oranges comparison now. 6 years ago, husquvarna had not acquired dixon. Second you can in now way compare a 1800 dollar tractor to a commercial zero turn unit like we were talking of.

I am still using the last dixon I bought about 6 years ago a model 7525. If you want to google an image of it just enter dixon mower 7525 and the first picture is an owners manual with a 7525 photo on the front. Still going strong. I can tell you this, my Dixon dealer has been around for years. You do NOT see any TRACTORS in his showroom. He doesn't sell them. That ought to tell you something right there. I have to admit that I don't have a lot of knowledge about Dixon since they were sold to Husky however.

lifetree
05-03-2011, 11:00 PM
First off, we were posting above about comparing apples to apples instead of apples to oranges. You replied to a thread 6 years old. Soooooo much has changed. This is an apples to oranges comparison now. 6 years ago, husquvarna had not acquired dixon. Second you can in now way compare a 1800 dollar tractor to a commercial zero turn unit like we were talking of. ...

So true ... this guy needs to find something to do beside resurrecting 6 year old threads !!

:hammerhead: :hammerhead: :hammerhead: :hammerhead: :hammerhead:

DA Quality Lawn & YS
05-03-2011, 11:02 PM
I think Dixon/Husq has a solid line of Z's out now for the commercial guy. My next Z, I will strongly look at one.

midnightford
06-06-2011, 12:07 AM
I have had experience with Dixon, and I believe it is a excellent brand. My great grandmother lived next to me for years, and she bought a Dixon for me to use on my lawn as well as hers. She moved into an assisted living facility about four years ago, but I still use the Dixon. Honestly I am not sure what year the mower is, it must be over 12 years. I have read some posts on here where people say they had engines fail on these mowers and parts fall off of it after five hours. Come on. You need to use the mower for what the particular model is designed for. That means not using a residential mower for commercial applications. I believe it just comes down to people not taking care of their stuff. I have never had a problem with mine, besides the replacement of belts which last a long time if you do not let them slip. I would recommend a Dixon to anyone. As long as you know how to take care and be somewhat gentle with it you would be fine. I am in fact considering an upgrade to a new one soon!!

B&GLandscaping
06-06-2011, 01:30 AM
I have a Dixon Grizzly 60" (Commercial Grade) and I have put this mower through some abuse for the last two years. I cant really complain too much about it. But saying that, my next mower will be an Exmark or Scag. Couldnt afford the new ones of those of the bat. Bought mine used with less than 200 hours on. But like I said...its held its own the last two years.