PDA

View Full Version : new fee, what to charge?

Frontier-Lawn
01-03-2005, 04:23 PM
OK new for 2005 I'm starting a Friday prem. fee. what should i charge? i want to do all lawns Mon- Thur. (fri-sat catching up on other jobs) and if they want it done on Friday a fee for it? am i alone on this?

ztoro
01-03-2005, 05:21 PM
OK new for 2005 I'm starting a Friday prem. fee. what should i charge? i want to do all lawns Mon- Thur. (fri-sat catching up on other jobs) and if they want it done on Friday a fee for it? am i alone on this?

I had a few people that wanted it cut on friday.... I wouldnt ask them for more money.. I told them if I could do it on friday I would if not it will be done when I get there....

I would imagine that they would be a bit surprized if you asked for more money for the same serivice on a friday....

rodfather
01-03-2005, 05:23 PM
I would imagine that they would be a bit surprized if you asked for more money for the same serivice on a friday....

Not at all...around me that is staus quo to get more for Friday scheduling.

MMLawn
01-03-2005, 05:32 PM
I fully agree with Rod and a Fri cut should be "special" as everyone wants that day so they should pay for it. We have 4 levels of service (Basic, Standard, Premium and Premier) The Premium includes a Thurs or Fri cut in the contract and the Premier level states a Fri cut in the contract. Of course both those services include more then just mow and go and they are quoted higher and the Fri cut used as a selling tool.

Now as to a Thurs or Fri cut on the Basic and Standard service, we charge an additional $2.00 per cut for those days and only accept them as we have slots open. With that said we also however offer a discount to anyone (residential only) of the same $2.00 that takes a Mon cut.

Lux Lawn
01-03-2005, 05:58 PM
Rod-How muc more for a Friday cut?
Around here a lot of people want it also but I stick to one area on Friday to keep my route as tight as possible.

packerbacker
01-03-2005, 05:59 PM
I fully agree with Rod and a Fri cut should be "special" as everyone wants that day so they should pay for it. We have 4 levels of service (Basic, Standard, Premium and Premier) The Premium includes a Thurs or Fri cut in the contract and the Premier level states a Fri cut in the contract. Of course both those services include more then just mow and go and they are quoted higher and the Fri cut used as a selling tool.

Now as to a Thurs or Fri cut on the Basic and Standard service, we charge an additional $2.00 per cut for those days and only accept them as we have slots open. With that said we also however offer a discount to anyone (residential only) of the same $2.00 that takes a Mon cut.

Wow! So what if you have 2 houses next to each other and one wants the premium and one doesnt want to pay more? Isnt that a waste of gas traveling back and forth ?

rodfather
01-03-2005, 06:01 PM
Rod-How muc more for a Friday cut?
Around here a lot of people want it also but I stick to one area on Friday to keep my route as tight as possible.

25 - 33% more. And there is NO NEGOTIATING btw...

Lux Lawn
01-03-2005, 06:05 PM
25 - 33% more. And there is NO NEGOTIATING btw...
That sound like it really makes it worth your time that way.
What about rain days?If you are behind during the week then I guess they would still get done on Friday.What if it is raining on Friday you go on Saturday or try fot Thursday?

rodfather
01-03-2005, 06:07 PM
If Friday is gonna be a washout, as late as possible then on Thursday even if it means OT. Saturday is next option.

LwnmwrMan22
01-03-2005, 06:07 PM

I'd charge an extra 25%.

I know this is apples and oranges, but I've got 2 banks, owned by the same guy that I plow.

Now plowing and mowing are 2 different things, because it's alot harder to control the weather, timing with plowing than with mowing, but I charge him an extra 40% because he wants one bank plowed at 5 am, and the other bank plowed immediately after the first.

I said ok, I'll juggle my schedule around and work with that, but it'll cost you more.

He didn't care, he wanted to have a clean lot to start the day each day.

However, your problem is, you're going to get everyone to be on Thursday, and save that extra 25%, and those that were on Thursday will have to be bumped back to Wednesday, etc.

Personally, I don't give people a choice when their lawn is going to be mowed.

I also only do 2 residential customers, and they don't care when the lawn is mowed.

Another reason I got out of the residential market and into only commercial / industrial accounts. They don't care.

However, I do let my commercial / industrial accounts know, if they've got some big-wig coming in, I'll mow the lawn that morning, for no extra charge, as long as it doesn't increase my mowing numbers for the year.

i.e. I do everything on a flat monthly fee. I mow an account here, where they supply alot of the small small parts for Arctic Cat snowmobiles / ATVs. When the head cheese / purchasing guy comes to town, they let me know a week ahead of time.

If the grass is growing quickly, and I'll end up mowing 3 times in 2 weeks, instead of the usual 1 time each week, I charge an extra %. If it's later in the year, and I'm down to every 10-14 days, and it'll still be 2 times in 2 weeks or 3 weeks if I go and mow when the big-wig is coming to town, I don't charge extra, even if it's not the usual day to mow.

Everything I mow is within 4 miles of each other except for 1 day, so it's not that big of a deal to mow an account on a different day than normal.

rodfather
01-03-2005, 06:13 PM
Personally, I don't give people a choice when their lawn is going to be mowed.

For the most part I don't either...unless you don't mind paying me more and making it worth my while.

Lux Lawn
01-03-2005, 06:25 PM
I may think about this a little bit this winter for people that want Friday and if I can do it then they will pay extra for it.

rodfather
01-03-2005, 06:29 PM
I may think about this a little bit this winter for people that want Friday and if I can do it then they will pay extra for it.

Shoot Larry, make it 50% then. I bet some of your clients wouldn't bat an eyelash. :D

ztoro
01-03-2005, 10:45 PM
Shoot Larry, make it 50% then. I bet some of your clients wouldn't bat an eyelash. :D

Rod

what do you do if you have a few houses on the same street close to one another... If some want a friday cut and some dont want to pay the premium? Do you break up the same area into 2 different days? Or does one pay a premium and the other benefits from it?

LwnmwrMan22
01-03-2005, 11:35 PM
Rod

what do you do if you have a few houses on the same street close to one another... If some want a friday cut and some dont want to pay the premium? Do you break up the same area into 2 different days? Or does one pay a premium and the other benefits from it?

Another reason that someone paying a premium doesn't work, unless the premium is more than the difference to drive to do the house on a Friday.

Let's say you have 3 houses within an area where you don't have to move the truck.

1 wants to have the lawn mowed on Friday and pay the premium, 2 don't want to pay the premium and don't care when the lawn gets mowed.

If it fits into your schedule to do it this way, you're going to have to let the 2 that don't pay the premium know that the third is paying a premium to have the house mowed on Friday.

Now this only works if you have lawns in the area on other days.

Personally, all my accounts are within 10 miles from my house, except for one day, where I drive about 35 miles from my house to do a Wal-Mart, a strip mall and 3 other commercial places on the way there and back.

That being said, it wouldn't be that far out of my way to do 2 houses on a street at one time, and then 2 days later come back and do the third house on a Friday at a premium.

However, in order for this to be fiscally feasible, you're going to have to charge at least $60 / month more.

I get this number from saying that it takes 10 minutes to drive anywhere, unless you're driving to the next block, plus at LEAST 5 minutes to unload / load. Multiply this by 4 weeks, and you're getting $60 / month.

If you're charging $250 / month to mow a residential yard (my minimum), then you're going to be charging at least a 25% premium, JUST to cover the costs of driving there seperately, let alone the fact that you're using up time that you were trying to set aside for doing other projects.

If you're doing yards @ $200 / month or less, then you're going to be charging 30-40-50% premiums, and most residential customers I know, would probably just have the yard mowed on Thursday.

However I will say, I had one customer once insist that I use a 22" mower on his 2 acre lot, on Fridays, because he didn't like the tire marks my ZTR or walkbehind would leave.

I charged him $150 / week, and he didn't care. Took me 1 year to realize he was a PITA and I dropped him.

bobbygedd
01-03-2005, 11:46 PM
a friday surcharge...ok, ok, i'm liking it. now, what if, it's a friday lawn, and there is heavy dew that week? between the friday surcharge, the dew surcharge, i probly take monday off and go fishin

MMLawn
01-03-2005, 11:47 PM
Just try . If you have good tight routes as you should (and said you do) you'll be surprised at how it will work out route wise.

Metro Lawn
01-04-2005, 12:04 AM
If we offered Friday cuts, I would get an extra 25%. We do not cut on Friday unless we are behind. We cut commercial on Mon. and Tues. then residential on Wed. and Thurs. We leave Friday for catch up or the lawn guys will help the landscape crews.

rodfather
01-04-2005, 08:23 AM
Rod

I'd break up the area into 2 different days. And I would let anyone know that the guy I'm mowing on Friday is paying extra for it as well.

JimLewis
01-04-2005, 11:42 AM
Guys on lawnsite who are reading this, I want to offer a word of caution.

While I don't really have a problem with ideas like this, I think it should be clear that this is more of a luxury, as a business owner. To be able to tell customers that they are going to have to pay a higher rate if they want their lawn mowed on a Thursday or Friday is going to decrease the amount of new customers you get. Simply because a lot of LCOs do NOT charge any extra to mow on a Thursday or Friday. So if a potential customer has the time to shop around, they can easily find another LCO to do Friday work without paying a premium for it.

Now if you are established, with plenty of solid clients, you are probably in the position to be more choosy and you can afford to set more requirements and demands on your new customers. But many guys here on Lawnsite, I gather, are just desperate to get more customers and more $. When you're in that position, you can't afford to be as demanding.

Just my 2 cents.

packerbacker
01-04-2005, 12:04 PM
I couldnt ever imagine charging extra to do it on a certain day. I do all my high end houses from late Wed to Fri but if i told them i was going to tack on extra they would find someone else.

It seems to me that instead of getting more work they are tacking on extra for dumb little charges to make up for the lack of work

bobbygedd
01-04-2005, 12:09 PM
that is the problem with most lcos packer, like yourself, they don't see the value in thier service. the only way for them to rationalize making more money, is by doing more work. bad, bad mindset, you're keeping the brothers, and yourself, down big guy

packerbacker
01-04-2005, 12:14 PM
that is the problem with most lcos packer, like yourself, they don't see the value in thier service. the only way for them to rationalize making more money, is by doing more work. bad, bad mindset, you're keeping the brothers, and yourself, down big guy

Wrong again! Ive never been to NJ but i can tell just from your posts that your customers must be sightly ******ed to pay for things like dew charges or having their lawns cut on FRI instead of TUE.

There are plenty of LCOs around here and one of my customers can switch in the drop of a hat but they wont because they know when they call me ill be there in a second doing 10X better then the next guy.

ztoro
01-04-2005, 12:20 PM

I still dont understand the whole theory... My rates are high because I do good work regardless of what day it is.. My hats off to guys for charging more money......

I hope you wouldnt consider yourself under bid by a scab if another LCO cuts for the normal price Mon-Fri......

But I guess next time I order a pizza I should pay more money for it I pick it up on Friday night versus Thursday night....

MMLawn
01-04-2005, 12:22 PM

That's right Bobby. I have held off on saying anything about some of the absurd post PB has been making, esp "free customers" and such but it becomes more and more clear with each post that he isn't really running a business....he is just cutting some grass for money...and there is a HUGE difference!

packerbacker
01-04-2005, 12:25 PM
That's right Bobby. I have held off on saying anything about some of the absurd post PB has been making, esp "free customers" and such but it becomes more and more clear with each post that he isn't really running a business....he is just cutting some grass for money...and there is a HUGE difference!

So tell me what you think then. Im very interested in hearing this. Apparently i cant do anything right and the last 5 years my company has grown 25-50% every year is a total waste of my time.

packerbacker
01-04-2005, 12:27 PM
I still dont understand the whole theory... My rates are high because I do good work regardless of what day it is.. My hats off to guys for charging more money......

I hope you wouldnt consider yourself under bid by a scab if another LCO cuts for the normal price Mon-Fri......

But I guess next time I order a pizza I should pay more money for it I pick it up on Friday night versus Thursday night....

How dare you use logic in the conversation! :)

rodfather
01-04-2005, 12:38 PM
I agree with what JimLewis said.

And yes, the reason I charge more for Friday cuts is simple. If I am making a separate trip to a customer on Friday when I was already on this same street/road the previous Tuesday or Wednesday (let's say), I am going out of my way for this account. And I want to be comensated for it. Period.

ztoro
01-04-2005, 12:51 PM

And yes, the reason I charge more for Friday cuts is simple. If I am making a separate trip to a customer on Friday when I was already on this same street/road the previous Tuesday or Wednesday (let's say), I am going out of my way for this account. And I want to be comensated for it. Period.

In the situation you mentioned above I could easily see you expecting a premium..

packerbacker
01-04-2005, 12:59 PM

Then why dont you just put all of them on 1 day? I go to different parts of the city every day. And i stay in those parts every day. Its the easiest way to do things.

rodfather
01-04-2005, 01:13 PM
Then why dont you just put all of them on 1 day? I go to different parts of the city every day. And i stay in those parts every day. Its the easiest way to do things.

Not possible I'm afraid.

MMLawn
01-04-2005, 01:13 PM
So tell me what you think then. Im very interested in hearing this.

Okay then. As others have said or eluted to I think you are simply a know it all that just likes to argue with folks.

packerbacker
01-04-2005, 01:23 PM
Okay then. As others have said or eluted to I think you are simply a know it all that just likes to argue with folks.

LOL. I find that amusing as I have said OVER AND OVER AND OVER that nobody is wrong here and that we all have our own way of doing things. Apparently though you read what you want to read, put a spin on it and then post it.

I dont like to argue with people but i also dont like people crticizing the new guy who comes here calling him a scrub and lowballer. So while the rest of you "pros" are circling the wagons around a "newbie" ill be the helping him and sticking up for him.

MMLawn
01-04-2005, 01:36 PM
LOL. I find that amusing as I have said OVER AND OVER AND OVER that nobody is wrong here and that we all have our own way of doing things. Apparently though you read what you want to read, put a spin on it and then post it.

I dont like to argue with people but i also dont like people crticizing the new guy who comes here calling him a scrub and lowballer. So while the rest of you "pros" are circling the wagons around a "newbie" ill be the helping him and sticking up for him.

As I said you it seems that you like to just argue and you have just proved it again so I rest my case, LOL.

packerbacker
01-04-2005, 01:42 PM
As I said you it seems that you like to just argue and you have just proved it again so I rest my case, LOL.

LMAO, proved what!?!? How was that post argumentitive???? How was it insulting????

Thats right! IT WASNT