PDA

View Full Version : Retun Rate on Flyers

RedWingsDet
01-03-2005, 05:32 PM
Hey guys. This will be my second year doing lawns and landscaping. Anyway, what do most of you guys get as far as getting customers for flyers you put out. Personally ALOT and about 85% of my work comes from my referals. However this year I want to target a new area. My goal is go get about 30 customers signed up before March 1st, and hopefully have most signed up by the middle of Feb. Im thinking about 1 person per thousand? Is this correct? Also, I would like to get about 60,000 flyers made up and pass out about 30 thousand this month and again another 30k the month after that. Pass out about 500 on weekdays and about 6-8k on the weekends.

Anyways, these homes I can get about $30 out of. I really would like to get these people signed up first, so I can weed out some of the first year pita customers. Also, my overhead is fairly low. Insurance ($80 a month), car insurance ($200 month for 3 trucks), phone ($100), gas ($300 month), and then taxes and thats about it.

Hopefully I can get about 30 of these people signed up, and then with the 50 I had lastyear, hopefully week out about 30 of them, and just keep 20 from last year, and only the ones that pay the premium price.

That way, Id have about NET $5200 a month....

But again, If I were to spend that kind of cash on advertising, do you think it'd be worth it? and what is you return rate per thousand flyers you send out?

Thanks, and have a good new year!!!

P.S. I was up until about 3:30 am lastnight thinking about ways to make the business better and get more customers. I am also going to put ads in the Grosse Pointe/SCS/ and Macomb daily news for a few months and see what happens.

Thanks again!

OHHH... and on the flyer, im going to say "Sign up for our weekly lawn service by Feb. 15th and recive 20% of the first months bill!!!"

and im also going to offer a special discount for senior citizens and people in the military.

TClawn
01-03-2005, 05:46 PM
I get about a 1 percent response with a .75 actual sign up ratio.

the way to get 4-6 percent is to drop four or five flyers off on each side of a property that you are mowing. state on the flyer that you do so and so address on your street and if they like your work to give you a call. it also helps to pre-bid the property's if you know there general size from the neighbors yard. you hit these houses every other week that you are there for 3 months. the response will not be very good the first 3 times you drop off a flyer. I find that it takes at least 3 drop offs within 2 months to get much response.

hope this helps,
chris.

MImowerkid
01-03-2005, 05:57 PM
mark, one thing that really helps me is to be known in your area . I usualy get a response of 5% on my flyers in the immediate area (500 )homes whenever I send them out but persornaly up to this year I couldn't handle any more that 5 new customers a year . Just get your name out and do good work and the work will come to you.good luck

RedWingsDet
01-03-2005, 06:01 PM
mark, one thing that really helps me is to be known in your area . I usualy get a response of 5% on my flyers in the immediate area (500 )homes whenever I send them out but persornaly up to this year I couldn't handle any more that 5 new customers a year . Just get your name out and do good work and the work will come to you.good luck

Yes I know, I recived more than 40 accounts just from refferals last year in one particular area, but this year I am targeting a new area, therefore I want to go all out and get my name out in this other area, and then im positive ill gain their neighbors and what not once I get in.

MImowerkid
01-03-2005, 06:11 PM
o.k. I see what you are talking about then I guess just send them out and cross your fingers for a great response rate!

packerbacker
01-03-2005, 06:14 PM
I have never used fliers but i used postcards one year, i only sent out 500 to one neighborhood but within a week i had 6 full time customers and ive had them for 3 years now.

If you send out 60,000 flyers i would plan on being swamped with work.

Jason Pallas
01-03-2005, 06:28 PM
Good luck in the Grosse Pointes - more than likely you'll lose your butt if you're not careful. I've worked in the biz and in that area for 25 years and it's a very complex and fickle market. My advice is to try to develop more of a client base in SCS and markets north (Macomb, Clinton Twsp, etc...).
As for advertising in the GP News and local papers, don't expect a great return/response in the GP area. It used to be a good marketing vehicle but in the last few years, expect to get about 3 customers a year from your ad - if you run it all year (at $19 a week - do the math, it just isn't worth it). The sucess rate is about as poor for flyers too - take it from me (as well as owning this business, I've also got a MA in Communications).
Your best bet - spend the money with the Macomb Daily - start advertising in Jan and hit it strong every week through Mid-June. In addition, join the MDGIA, and participate in as many home improvement expo style shows as you can (like the designer showcase, War Memorial Grosse Pointe Services expo, Gibraltor Trade Center Shows, etc...). These shows will bring you much more return and $$ business for your marketing dollar than flyers. Word of mouth is also a very strong tool in GP - I'd offer my exisiting customers a free cut for every person they refer to me and I'd also give that person a free cut when they sign up. good luck. How's the snow side of your business going? This next storm is going to be tricky for you - being in school and all.

RedWingsDet
01-03-2005, 06:38 PM
Good luck in the Grosse Pointes - more than likely you'll lose your butt if you're not careful. I've worked in the biz and in that area for 25 years and it's a very complex and fickle market. My advice is to try to develop more of a client base in SCS and markets north (Macomb, Clinton Twsp, etc...).
As for advertising in the GP News and local papers, don't expect a great return/response in the GP area. It used to be a good marketing vehicle but in the last few years, expect to get about 3 customers a year from your ad - if you run it all year (at $19 a week - do the math, it just isn't worth it). The sucess rate is about as poor for flyers too - take it from me (as well as owning this business, I've also got a MA in Communications).
Your best bet - spend the money with the Macomb Daily - start advertising in Jan and hit it strong every week through Mid-June. In addition, join the MDGIA, and participate in as many home improvement expo style shows as you can (like the designer showcase, War Memorial Grosse Pointe Services expo, Gibraltor Trade Center Shows, etc...). These shows will bring you much more return and $$ business for your marketing dollar than flyers. Word of mouth is also a very strong tool in GP - I'd offer my exisiting customers a free cut for every person they refer to me and I'd also give that person a free cut when they sign up. good luck. How's the snow side of your business going? This next storm is going to be tricky for you - being in school and all.

Gosh darn. Were you just listening to the convo that I had with my dad like 5 minutes ago on the phone???? LOL. damn you hit everything I was telling him....

But hey, I do have GP accounts, 3 in the GPS, and about 17 in GPW, and the rest are in HW, and SCS. I was planning on either handing the flyers out by hand in GPS or doing the 3.9 cents thing through c and g news. Again, I gained about 40 refferals last year. I basically just want to pick up some more accounts in gp, preferrably GPS, so I can weed some others out. I also have about 5 driveways that I do snow in in GPS.

Thanks for telling me about the MDGIA, im going to deffinantly look into that.

Snow side is goign really good actually, and yeah, im not looking forward to this next storm cause im back in school now :(. I have about 20 accounts for snow too, so its going to be real tough to do them in the mornings, I may even drop the truck back off home if I dont finish intime for school and pay my bro like $100 to do it for me (shouldnt take more than 2 hours if noone flags him down).

Thanks for the advise. Im just trying to gain some more accounts in the GPS so I can weed out some people in HW and SCS.
Thanks again. :cool2:

P.S. what was the name of your company, or the company your worked for???? I have the red and yellow dakota (red, yellow hood, yellow stripe) that I was using from about march-august, if that makes ya reckon me at all. Thanks Again!

Oh, and I live in Grosse Pointe Woods, and go to North, and alot of my freinds live in the GPS or GPF, so I know I can gain about 10-15 just through my freinds..... Funny thing is.... If you know tocco and manino, Manino goes to my school. LOL. How funny is that!

Lux Lawn
01-03-2005, 06:44 PM
I am happy with a 1-2% response rate and that doesn't always happen and you guys talk about a 5% response rate that seems kind of high.

Jason Pallas
01-03-2005, 06:52 PM
In GPS word of mouth marketing is your best bet. The C&G paper isn't worth it in the GP area, I doubt we'll do it again. It used to be very effective -about 10 years ago. But the market is so flooded that your flyer will just get lost/overlooked. We did the same flyer in some Macomb Co. market and it was hugely sucessful - in the GP/Harper Woods area, we did about 30,000 flyers and got about 6 calls. It was pitifully unsucessful - 10 years ago, the phone would have rung off the hook for weeks. Bit of advice - start advertising early. We pick up a lot of summer business between now and March.

If you get stuck for snow, let me know. I'll give you my number and I could send a truck to sub for you. We've got lots of GP residentials and commercial accounts. I also do plow repairs too. So, if you break down, give me a call. Sometimes trying to get your rig into Santoro's can be hell if Dewey or Dave doesn't owe you a favor. That last 8" snow - there was a line out the door and around the block to get them to look at your rig (thankfully I just needed a small part!).

RedWingsDet
01-03-2005, 07:04 PM
In GPS word of mouth marketing is your best bet. The C&G paper isn't worth it in the GP area, I doubt we'll do it again. It used to be very effective -about 10 years ago. But the market is so flooded that your flyer will just get lost/overlooked. We did the same flyer in some Macomb Co. market and it was hugely sucessful - in the GP/Harper Woods area, we did about 30,000 flyers and got about 6 calls. It was pitifully unsucessful - 10 years ago, the phone would have rung off the hook for weeks. Bit of advice - start advertising early. We pick up a lot of summer business between now and March.

If you get stuck for snow, let me know. I'll give you my number and I could send a truck to sub for you. We've got lots of GP residentials and commercial accounts. I also do plow repairs too. So, if you break down, give me a call. Sometimes trying to get your rig into Santoro's can be hell if Dewey or Dave doesn't owe you a favor. That last 8" snow - there was a line out the door and around the block to get them to look at your rig (thankfully I just needed a small part!).

Ahh, yeah I did c&g last year, but way to late, like in end of march, and only recived 2 calls.....

anyway, for snow, the sad thing is I dont even have a plow, I just have my new snowblower I bought, I want to try to hold off on buying a plow until october. Ya, last 8" snow we got, it was crazy, I made a killing that day. I dont know if you know where Willison is, but I got about 5 people over there in that little area, but only 1 for all season that paid upfront. And it only took about 20min with the snowblower, granted if I had my plow it would have been like 5 minutes. But oh well, I guess we all have to start somewhere in the first year. This lawn year should be outstanding being my second year and learning the do's and donts from lastyear (still have alot to learn though) and hopefully next years plowing be steller. Only reason I didnt get the plow is because It was a floor model, and I heard that 04's paint was rusting fast and that in 05 it should be fixed (I was looking at getting a Blizzard 760LT for the f150).

Also, sense im new to all this stuff? whats Santoros do they sell plows too???

Thanks again for the heads up!!!