PDA

View Full Version : How many times where u STUNG last year????

cleancut
01-26-2001, 08:04 PM
Stingings seem to go in cycles...Two years ago, I didn't even hardly see a bee..The year before, I was stung 30 times by yellow jackets..Man those little ba****** mean business...Last year I was stung about 10 times by you guessed it, yellow jackets...I had one get under my sunglasses and he bit down on my eyebrow and kept stinging me around the eye..I finally just had to hit myself in the eye to kill the thing..That just goes with the territory though..Derrick (Clean-Cut)

CCLC
01-26-2001, 08:27 PM
We had a bad year here in Mid Michigan for bees this past year. Just about all of our employees received bee stings and one of them got chased and stung multiple times by one group. We always try to carry wasp/bee killer in the trailer and send one with the landscape guys just in case.

Davis TLC
01-26-2001, 09:09 PM
Luckily not once. I have had a few close calls in the past though. Find wasp nest in fencerows when trimming under the fence and once under the soffit of a mini barn. They were rather upset when I saw them, even more so after I went to the truck and got the Raid.

I've been stung lots of times in the past cutting and putting up hay on the farm when I was growing up. Always hated those bumblebees and wasp.

[Edited by Davis TLC on 01-27-2001 at 04:30 PM]

awm
01-26-2001, 09:11 PM
I dont know exactly what it is but there is
a type of stinging devil that lives in a hole underground
They are very painful and dangerous to youngins
and the elderly as they will attack in mass.I GASUM

gene gls
01-26-2001, 09:14 PM
I haven't gotten stung since I started riding.I like it that way!! Thoes yellow jackets are MEAN!! Gene

Craig Jones
01-26-2001, 09:16 PM
In Northern Virginia we saw a lot of yellow jackets this year. There were at least five large nests in our properties this year. Last year my son was stung twice. This year my sons were stung once and my wife ran the mower over a yellow jacket nest and was rushed to the emergency room since she had multiple stings. We now carry spray at all of our jobs and keep a close eye for those nests.

John DiMartino
01-26-2001, 09:47 PM
Thi august,i was trimming a pond bank around 7am,and hit a ground nest,well i got stung about 20 times,all over the place.I nearly passed out from alergic reaction,got some benedryl,and a trip to the hospital.I have been stung hundreds of times before,and up to 10 at once,but this time they got me good.Now i carry the benedryl in my pocket when im working,just in case.

jasonp
01-26-2001, 09:53 PM
5 times but missed about 30 or so. Felt one hit my neck and after the first time you get quick at hitting yellow jackets as ou fell them, but anyway i felt one hit it off and turned the mower off and looked back and there was about 30 flying around. I got lucky i guess. But i carry some of that foaming killer with me now, but you have to wait on the yellow jackets to settle down before sparying the hole.

Mark
01-26-2001, 09:57 PM
Last season in southern In was awful. I got stung so many times i couldn't really tell you, but those little bitty wasp pack a mighty punch. I hope there not that bab this next yr. Marks Mowing Service

Esby
01-26-2001, 10:00 PM
Well I only got stung on 2 different occasions this past year. #1-I was mowing a side hill and out of nowhere I got stung twice, nearly at the same time. I failed to find a nest, so I thought it was just a freak thing. Was I wrong....#2-Ten days later I returned for another mowing...same side hill, only now I seemed to have found exactly where those pesky ground wasps were. Not only did I find them, my mower invited them out so we could get aquainted. I got stung 17 times...partially because I couldn't ditch my mower and run away, this would have resulted in my precious machinery rolling into the lake. That was a very bad feeling. Lets just say I returned and sprayed those suckers!!!

Eric ELM
01-26-2001, 10:01 PM
Zero times last year. :D

I was lucky I guess, but I do know what it feels like to get stung.
Mr. Lucky
Eric

bob
01-26-2001, 10:19 PM
I can't even remember the last time that I got stung.

Island Lawn
01-26-2001, 10:31 PM
I had one close call with a nest of wasps.
I was trimming some healthy Confederate Jessamine. I was up the exterior stairway at a beach house (on stilts) and a dozen or so angry wasps came after me in defense of thier home.

I have no problem with curius bees and such flying around and even landing on me. I just stay calm/still(ish)...But these were MAD wasps!!!

I could smell their anger! They were making a "bee-line" straight for me! They got close enough to brush against my arm and I new I no loner wated to be in their space!

Jumping over the banister was an easy choice. To this day, I believe my quick action was the only thing that kept.
Landing took a lot longer than I expected. I ended up on the ground with the wind knocked out of me.

The kicker is that it was July 4th weekend. The client and the WHOLE family got a great laugh. A few even got to see my expression. Before and after.

I laughed too.

Their are still good clients! Paid me all winter long!

eslawns
01-26-2001, 11:25 PM
Twice. Yellow Jackets in ground nests. Last time, was a Saturday. 20+ stings on each leg. My lower legs swelled so bad I spent the rest of the day in bed.

I was lucky. I saw at least 3 other nests. I keep a few cans of wasp/hornet spray in my tool box.

BTW, I've heard that they are attracted to white. I wear white socks, and was stung near there both times. Just a thought.

Scott Campbell
01-26-2001, 11:53 PM
Got zapped by 3 wasps on a lake bank. Felt instant fire on the back of my neck before I figured out what was going on. Once I cleared out, I looked back and got to see all their little buddies coming out to join the party.

The bad one though was a spider bite that I got late in the season last year. Having lived in the country all my life I have been bitten plenty of times in the past, this time was different. I had a whale of a reaction to this little crawler. It required a trip to the Immediate Care Center after a few days, where they gave me an injection and some antibiotics to take.

It got me on the inner thigh. The whole top of my thigh turned fire red, and felt just as hot. The area continued around the under side of my leg almost completley around before the meds took affect. I still have a little bump there today. Itches sometimes too.

I went back to where I thought it happened, and sure enough I found one of the strangest looking spiders I have ever seen. Didn't really have a typical body on it. Looked like part spider part beetle. Definitely had 8 legs though. Someday, I'll look him up in some bug books. He was hanging around in an evergreen. One of those where you wished you had a front mount, know what I mean.......

geogunn
01-27-2001, 12:22 AM
clean cut--as I am in your neighborhood, I know how bad the little boogers are.

got hit three times last season for multiple stings.

the scariest was by a WOOD HORNET, almost two inches long. I had a helluva time getting the mower out from in front of their nest.

the other times were by yellow jackets, the kind in the ground I suppose. I never found the nest. one of them chased me over 150 feet to the truck and nailed me there.

my wife was with me and I screamed at her to RUN! and of course she just stood there and did nothing while they busted my chops as I was running down the road!

when I got back to the truck I blessed her out big time for not running like I told her! she gave me the usual "I don't run for anything, you should know that by now." damn...what I would have given for a couple yellow jackets to hit her then! oh well....

CC--lets do lunch sometime.

GEO

GroundKprs
01-27-2001, 12:36 AM
Anyone with a known allergy to bee stings, who is so allergic that you must carry an kit with you, do you know that you should be checked for the degree of allergy every few years? A local man in that situation died from stings this past summer. Thought he had it under control because he always had a kit with him, at home, at work everywhere he went. He was stung by several bees at home one day, wife administered the antidote, but he died on way to hospital. Turned out that in the 20 or so years since allergy was identified, he had acquired a much more dire allergy, so the antidote he had on hand was not sufficient to counter the bee attack.

Barkleymut
01-27-2001, 01:12 AM
5 or 6 times this year. The yellow jackets are bad here in VA. This year they stayed around a long time too. I got stung once in late OCT. I was blowing out leaves in an area full of ivy and got stung once on the shin. I know the drill by now....start running because you never know how many of them are about to join in the sting fest. Well I was really lucky because when I went back there were dozens swarming around the nest that I was no more than 2 feet from. They got the foaming jet spray. But the worst time was when I just started out and was desperate for work. I was push mowing with a 21" an old abandoned field that I had weedeated a week earlier. Well the reason I had to mow it is because the guy said it didn't have that "finished" look after I had weedwacked it. I said OF COURSE IT DOESN'T! IT HASN'T BEEN MOWED IN AT LEAST 5 YEARS. Well he still wanted me to mow it. So I busted out the old piece of crap 21" that I used for just this type of application. I was hitting hub caps cinder blocks and didn't care, but then I hit the one thing that hit back....the black and yellow stinging bastards. Well the first 2 or 3 were not so bad and I thought the mower was just kicking up some rocks on me. So I got a late start. And by then it was all over, I took off in a sprint that would make Carl Lewis look like Fat Albert. Did I mention that I had just started my business? Did I mention that it was August and about 100 degrees for weeks before this event occured? What does this equal? About 15 lbs of weight loss. Well with all of the sweat and weight loss my wedding ring came off in my quest to defeat Carl Lewis to the land of no more stinging yellow jackets. Well I ran about 100 yards and made it to my truck where I promptly grabbed the bee killer and made the discovery that I had not yet lost all of them. There were still 5-10 still clinging onto my shirt and shorts. This freaked me out so bad I started spraying them with the bee killer. It worked. But it also really really stung once it got to the little swelled up places that were all over my legs. Luckily my wife's grandma lived right up the street so I hopped in the truck and did about 80 mph down this quiet residential street. At grandma's I hosed down my legs with water and then swallowed a few Benadryls. I felt kind of sick for an hour or so. All told the damage was 35 stings and a lost wedding ring which still has yet to be found. I also returned about 40 minutes later to a mower which was still running and had yellow jackets swarming all around it. If only I would have stopped right on top of their nest!

65hoss
01-27-2001, 01:31 AM
One of my customers had a ground nest. I held the weed wacker over the hole for about 1 min. just killing yellow jackets until 1 or 2 started to escape. I just started running. Looked back and me and employees were amazed at the number that was swarming around. Enough to kill several people. I told the customer she should get an exterminator out for this one. The nest went about a foot into the ground and was about a foot across in all directions. I guess we were lucky, we knew about the nest for about a month, we just started the Z wide open and ran across the top and they never chased us. After seeing that, I am going to be much more careful in the future.

Russ
01-27-2001, 08:44 AM
I'm allergic! I got stung 5 years ago by a sweat bee.Within 15 min.,I had hives from the top of my head to the soles of my feet, but worse, I couldn't get my breath, couldnt even swallow or walk, and didn't know what was wrong(didnt know I was allergic). It was 3 hours before I had the energy to get to the truck. Went to the doctor. He gave me a shot and told me I was in grave danger of a heart attack for the next 2 days. I now carry bea sting kits($50.00 each) an all 3 mowers. According to DR. I will still only have 15 minutes even with the kit to get to the nearest medical facility. He suggested I go into another line of work. I dont think thats going to happen!

awm
01-27-2001, 09:32 AM
HATE TO HAVE FUN AT YOUR EXSPENCE BUT ID GIVE
A QUARTER TO HAVE SEEN THAT.TM

lawman
01-27-2001, 09:42 AM
When i get stung, i come back for revenge. I bring the spray or some king of flammable liquid and wipe them out.

Charles
01-27-2001, 10:07 AM
I have been stung too many times over the past years to count. But last year i was lucky and found most of the nest before they found me. Just got stung one time. I found one of the nest but didnt see the other. Its worth the time to walk and get on your knees and scan a yard before cutting. And still you miss the less active one sometimes. This is one job hazard we could all do without

linky
01-27-2001, 11:59 AM
I was stung only five times and considering the amount of nests that i found i was lucky. One location had thirty plus nests!!! The property has a large mounded turf area along the parking lot-for some reason yellow jacket billy bastards love it. I cut this property every ten days and never saw a bee until mid July. The first nest was found when i was trying to climb the hill with my belt slipping on my wb. I got the mower just past the nest-I was looking at the ground while pushing the mower and i noticed a small hole- HOLY SHMAAACCKK BEE'S-I got to the top of the hill, put the mower in neutral and killed it and RAN!! My mower rolled down the far side of the hill into the woods covered with bee's [NEAT] The 1st time i was stung last season- I got stung on my right leg. As it stung me i swatted it with my right hand and my left hand sqeezed the turn lever. I did a 180 over/under/through a cheap red picnic table [NEAT]. BEE'S ARE NOT NEAT-BEE'S ARE BAD N-KAY

dylan
01-27-2001, 12:18 PM
I got stung once putting my mower away in the barn. Right inside the ear.
In the spring I was playing paintball and while crouched in my bunker I was sitting on top of a nest in the ground. I thought the first few stings were just horsefly bites then I looked up and saw the swarm all around me. I dropped my gun and ran away right into the other teams barrage of paintballs. I was black and blue that day.

cleancut
01-27-2001, 01:35 PM
Here's another stinging story...Two years ago, I hired a guy to help me mow...The first day we finished mowing a residential account and I got him started weedeating...I was around the corner of the house and when I came back around, all I saw was my new T230 laying upside down smoking..My new helper was nowhere to be seen...After a little more investigating, I found him in the homeowners pool...He told me that he was weedeating under a bush and kept feeling little stings on his legs..He thought the trimmer was throwing rocks, but when he looked down at his legs, he saw that he was standing on top of a yellow jackets nest and they were making their way up his body..He threw the weedeater and took off running and didn't look back until he hit the water..He was stung several times and decided to retire..But the most important thing is that the T230 survived to trim another day...Derrick

Geo, let me know and we'll have lunch...I was up in your area a few weeks ago..We went to the new Ripley's aquarium..Derrick

stick9
01-27-2001, 03:05 PM
About 2 years ago, in the dead middle of summer, we were finishing up late (almost dark) ... well, I was going around the back of the house with the backpack, and my boss (scotty) was going the other way around .. I stepped up by their home and sunk into the ground about 1 foot .. stepped out, and was on my way .. I didn't give it a second thought at the time .. but man, when my boss walked by there ... wow .. he ran SOOOOOOO fast ... turned out to be a nice yellow jacket home ... I think he had 5 stings/bites from that encounter ..

Another time (I won't go into detail) he got stung .. the yellow jacket went into his boot and continuosly stung him on the ankle ... he ripped his Knapps off VERY quickly, needless to say ..

And then one more time .. we were messing around with a hornet nest (that was supposed to be empty - after unloading an entire can of raid on the thing) .. I went up to examine it closely (put my face right up to the hole - haha) .. nothing ... I backed up about 2 feet and BLLLLLAM .. out shot a hornet .. went straight to scott and stung him ..

Not to say that I haven't been stung before .. I usually get 1-2 stings per year .. but scotts are more interesting, I think.

StICk-nIne

nlminc
01-27-2001, 03:37 PM
not once thank God. I had an employee get stung 27 times by wasp. He sat down for maybe a min. after then went back to work! He was a keeper.

stick9
01-28-2001, 12:57 AM
Yeah .. sounds like someone who would work through a hurricane .. 27 TIMES!?! Jeeze .. we once had a guy who got a little bloody nose, and had to sit down for 20 minutes while it stopped .. I had a bloody nose out of BOTH nostils POOOOOOOOOUUUURRRRRRRRRRRINNNNNNNNNNGG down my hand .. I just grabbed a paper towel and went back to work.

StICK-niNe

MOW ED
01-28-2001, 06:34 AM
Yellow jackets and/or bees = 0
mosquitos= quit counting

At the gas pump = every time;)

rdh
01-28-2001, 07:29 AM
i had one of those big bumble bees get in my hat looked like i got one of those rodney king beating felt like some one put a cigar out on my head.

kutnkru
01-28-2001, 07:58 AM
Im with you cc ,, musta been about 30 from them sob's.

I was mowing a reverends house no less when they come right up outta the ground and started their kamakazi dive tactics. The mower hit the flower bed next to the garage before shutting down. I started stripping right there on the spot. Had em goin up my shorts and all. My brother grabbed the hose (thank gawd) and gave me a good hosing off as moved away from the nest. Of course he was laffin so dang hard it was tuff for him to hit me with the water.

Hey Mr. Foreman, if you read this one:
Thanks but no thanks for the help - lol.

Kris

cleancut
01-28-2001, 07:02 PM
Hey kutnkru...I bet that you were in church the next week..Those yellowjackets can sure put the fear of GOD in you mighty fast...LOL....Derrick

kutnkru
01-28-2001, 08:08 PM
and pain had subsided the first thing I did was see the monsignor for confession. Let me just say that Im not the most religous guy here, but I was definitely cruising the roseary beads for a while - LOL

Kris

cut-rite
01-29-2001, 10:16 AM
I didnt get stung last year, but Iwas in the emergency room when they brouht in a man who was on a ladder with a knife to cut down a nest. A bee landed on his arm and he tried to kill it with the knife he had severe cuts (to the bone) and looked like a bear attack victim. I don't think if I were him I would admit to doing that.
Brad

moonarrow
01-29-2001, 11:00 AM
last year I had 2 seperate ocassions where I got stung once I started the weedeater and a swarm of yellow jackets came out from under the eaves and attacked me the other time I was mowing some tall grass for a good customer on a lot in which he had purchased to build a camp. The grass was prob a foot to 2 foot tall in places I got to one spot and all of a sudden I was swarmed by prob a 1oo or more yellow jacket and just had to bail of the machine and leave it where it was at waited about 5 or 10 min for them to calm down and went back to get the mower and before I could get it completly away from there they swarmed again after about 4 attempts I finally got the mower clear from them. Come to find out they were nesting in a hole in the ground and the mower was sitting right on top of the hole. Lucky I guess, I was only stung 4 times in this occasion. those of you that know me would have been supprised to see just how fast I can run.

Premo Services
01-29-2001, 02:49 PM
I only had 1 stinging incident last year and it was hornets the doctor said I was stung at least 50-60 times (OUCH!),after the shots and pills at the hospital I was ok. I was weeding and trimming overgrown bushes and cut right into the nest no one was at home and the neighbors must have thought I was going crazy,because they didn`t come out of their house. I made a post here after that and Lazer made a good sugestion to beat the bushes with a rake before doing the work(THANKS LAZER).

new-man
11-21-2003, 10:05 PM
you think that yellow jackets hurt?
try playing paintball and be zeroed in on

ouch

mh1314
11-21-2003, 10:13 PM
Just once last year . I carry liquid benadryl on the trailer. It seems to work faster than the caps or tablets.

Nw. Shadesofgreen
11-21-2003, 10:25 PM
It usally happens a couple times a year. This yearwas really bad for on of my guys. He ran a billy goat over a bald faced hornets nest. He was stung about five times.
I uasally care a bee sting kit and benadril for these ocassions. Better luck next season.

ZX12R
11-22-2003, 12:05 AM
Twice

Rick Jones
11-22-2003, 12:10 AM
Zero!! Hope my luck continues into next year!
:laugh:

impactlandscaping
11-22-2003, 04:30 AM
We carry epi-pens with us for such emergencies after I got stung 50 times three years ago.We were weedeating a bank in a sub division, and I hit a ground nest. We (3 of us) all wear Worktunes FM hearing protectors.I was about 75' feet away from my brother, yelling at the top of my lungs and getting stung.No one heard me over three T 270's running wide open as I ran past them both getting the #%$^ stung out of me, and bringing the maddened swarm with me.We ran down a 300' hill, peeling clothes the whole way.We probably looked like a bunch of morons, but the bees chased us the whole way.I had about 47 stings, and a trip to the ER.My brothers got a few each.Doc gave us prescrips for the pens, and knock on wood, we haven't needed them yet..

FosterGroundsMaint
11-23-2003, 01:53 PM
Once. I was kneeling down, probably messing with my trimmer. My knee started hurting really bad, and I looked, and I knelt on a bee.

Woody82986
11-23-2003, 02:19 PM
No stings by bees, hornets or wasps, but I did get it in the knee and the foot by a scorpion this year. Stung like hell for several hours and swelled my foot so large I couldn't pull off my boot. Evidently it crawled up my my boot and up the inside of my pants, and hit my knee, then when I felt it, I knocked it into my boot and it hit my foot. I thought it was a spider until I pulled the scorpion out of my boot and killed it.

Green Pastures
11-23-2003, 11:36 PM
zero times

:cool2:

NCSULandscaper
11-24-2003, 12:03 AM
0, knock on wood

sildoc
11-24-2003, 03:01 PM
Too many to count.
I trimm around some hives 2x a month and always seem to get stung at least 3 or more times while doing so. I guess I just got used to it after a while. Oh well good thing I am not alergic to them.

mower_babe
11-24-2003, 05:27 PM
I must not be as sweet as you guys. I have avoided getting stung since I was a junior in high school. That year, I got stung twice in two days and that was the last and only time. I hate bees and freak when one gets near me. I ALMOST got stung this year. I was weedeating behind some nasty bushes on this one time clean up account and they must have had a huge nest behind there. I threw the weedeater and ran like a mad woman. I was swearing and I took off my ball cap and was swatting it all around me, jumping all around. I am so glad that this was on a major highway through town so that EVERYONE could see me. Little buzztards. I Hate Insects.

TRex
11-24-2003, 05:45 PM
I was not mowing when i got stung by a yellow jacket for the first since I was 12. I just started working on my nitro r/c car and set my car table up just outside the garage door and set my drink on the hood of the truck and sipped it while I worked. I figured out what parts I was going to need and brought my drink in with me to order the parts off the web. There was only one last gulp left and I tried swallowing it down till something grabbed my lip. I thought a piece of a leaf and tried to spit it out and I felt a injection just inside my lip. This jacket grabbed my lip and let it have it, I spit what was left in my mouth out with a less than an 1" yellow jacket. It did not hurt at first and after about 10 min. my lip looked like I had a growth coming from it. My lip ended up swelling all the way across and up to my nose, when I breathed though my nose my lip would plug it from any air at all. I iced it down and it did nothing to help. Needless to say I hate anything that stings.

BSDeality
11-24-2003, 06:43 PM
0 for 3 years running. but before then i got swamped by about 10 of them in one shot, i ran over a nest with my mower... no fun.

walker-talker
11-24-2003, 08:02 PM
Originally posted by BSDeality
0 for 3 years running Same here!

The only accident last year was some pine needles to the eye. Swelled up a little and stung like a bi-otch. Safety glasses back in use.

MATT

Stihl036pro
11-24-2003, 10:46 PM
I was always coming home with bee strings. I remember one time last year I was stung 9 times while I was cutting down a tree. Damm Bees