PDA

View Full Version : Tell me the bad stuff.

Signature Services
01-03-2005, 10:07 PM
Can anyone tell me the really bad stuff of starting your own LCO? What gets you through the tuff stuff and how much money does it cost you to make mistakes, etc.? :waving:

Lawnchoice
01-03-2005, 10:15 PM
I would suggest browsing the Elements of Business forum first.

You will probably get quite a few wild answers on this one!

AL Inc
01-03-2005, 10:28 PM
How about when your pond guy drains a clients pond, cleans it, and then leaves the hose running in it to re-fill. He tells the clients' 13 year old daughter to shut it off when the pond is full. This is noon on Saturday. Sunday night, client notices a few inches of water in the basement. Hose is still running :eek: Also caused one of their cesspools to collapse. Cesspool company destroys backyard replacing cesspool. Client not happy with me.
This was one of the worst, but there have been lots of bad things. I guess it is tough to say how much mistakes cost you. I'd rather not know. I just try not to repeat my mistakes. I definitely has been a tough road for me the last 10 years. I guess what got me through was just being determined, I just really wanted to build a business. That and a couple Coronas when I get home!

green with envy
01-03-2005, 10:33 PM
First of all you have to do it because you love it. The downside is sweating out how your going to pay the bills. how you can compete with the kid down the street. How are you going to compete with the guy who just got laid off and has a mower. How are you going to get customers.

There is a lot of things on the minus side.
But if it's for you there is nothing better that working for yourself and making a living doing it !!!

You have to do some research and figure out what you need to make to make a go of it .

Once you know your numbers you can decide if you can compete in your marketplace and also study our competition.

I love what I do and thank God I can make a living doing something I love to do.

Hope this helps.

Mike