PDA

View Full Version : Cant get blades off.

ChadA
01-03-2005, 10:25 PM
OK. I have a 48" Exmark metro and I want to put mulching blades on there. But I cant for the life of me get those damn things off of there. I just bought a 24" breaker bar and they still won't budge. Any suggestions.

lqmustang
01-03-2005, 10:37 PM
Spray some penetrating oil on the bolts, maybe a little heat (don't fry your spindles). How long have they been on there that you can't get them off??!!

K c m
01-03-2005, 10:39 PM
Put an adjustable on the top and put some A$$ into the bottom. Then coat the bolt with never seize. :waving:

Carolina Cutter
01-03-2005, 10:39 PM
Hheheheheheh......found out that those babies are torked on there huh.....I too played the Exmark tug of war when my mower was new and found the best way to get them off the first time was with an impact gun. The dealer told me this after I had got them off......LOL

PLM-1
01-03-2005, 10:42 PM
If all else fails...Impact wrench! When i bought my Crapsman a few years ago i could not get the damn blades off either. I put a swivel head ratchet with a 3' pipe on the handle and was moving the mower with my dad (200lbs) sitting on it. Took it to a tire shop and took them 2 secs!

BobwithECLC
01-03-2005, 10:42 PM
Save your nuckels and the frustration use an impact gun at a lower power setting

shaughnessylawn
01-03-2005, 10:44 PM
you have to be careful with a air gun try a rachit with a breaker bar

cutnedge
01-03-2005, 10:45 PM
Definitely some type of impact, electric or cordless. Pawn shops are full of them.

Shady Brook
01-03-2005, 10:49 PM
I agree with the other fellas, use penatrateing oil. You can try some heat, it can really help. I used it on a Sterling drain plug the other day, and it made life much easier.

If all else fails, and I have been unsuccessful with an impact, get a blade buddy, or something that will keep the blade from turning under the deck. Then take your breaker bar and put it on top. Slide a big pipe over your breaker bar, and bull into it. I have had to do this a few times, and it is always successful. It may even tell you how strong that breaker bar is. I usually put some grease on my spindle bolts to keep this from happening in the future.

Good luck
Jay

PLM-1
01-03-2005, 11:07 PM
I had to change a tire on the side of the road in my mom's Land Rover a year ago or so and i bent a lug wrench. Didn't really know you could do that. It wasn't one of those junky swivel ones either. Never did get the nuts off and had it towed to the dealer and they had trouble getting them off with an impact.

JKOOPERS
01-03-2005, 11:09 PM
or maybe change your blades more often and quit hitting rocks and sewer lids with them

ChadA
01-03-2005, 11:15 PM
you have to be careful with a air gun try a rachit with a breaker bar

I tried a 2' breaker bar. No luck though.

ChadA
01-03-2005, 11:18 PM
or maybe change your blades more often and quit hitting rocks and sewer lids with them

What are you talking about. Rocks and sewer lids?

out4now
01-03-2005, 11:21 PM
Impact wrench. If you're worried a 1/2 drive model will be too much use a 3/8 butterfly. Can almost guarentee the 1/2 model would be the way to go though.

TClawn
01-03-2005, 11:26 PM
if your worried about an impact wrench, I've gotten many blades of with a 10ft piece of 1 1/4 sch. 40 pvc or a 10 ft piece of metal pipe. just put an extender on the wratchet wrench and slide the pipe around handle and lean into it.

Frosty_03
01-03-2005, 11:53 PM
I use air and Impact 1/2" will be your best bet. Just turn your impact in the reverse mode and let it ripp. I also use a cordless impact out on the jobs when he blades get dull. I never leave home with two tools my Jungle Jim Jack and my cordless Impact. :cool2:

65hoss
01-04-2005, 12:13 AM
OK. I have a 48" Exmark metro and I want to put mulching blades on there. But I cant for the life of me get those damn things off of there. I just bought a 24" breaker bar and they still won't budge. Any suggestions.

After the entire season you finally take the blades off? As stated before, change them more often will help to eliminate this problem. No grass cutter should go all season with the same dull blades. Its bad for the grass and takes away from your productivity.

Impact will make the job easy.

promower
01-04-2005, 02:50 AM
I bent a spindle early this year and my dealer had an impact on the top and bottom and still couldnt get them off. Like someone else said they used a long extension over the ratchet and leaned on it and it came off like the bolt was hand tightened on.

Lux Lawn
01-04-2005, 06:52 PM
I always put ANTE SEIZE on them every time I take them off it makes it easier the next time,just paint some on the threads and you should be good.

Tharrell
01-04-2005, 08:20 PM
Dealers use impacts when changing blades. Are you sure you're turning in the correct direction?

kickin sum grass
01-04-2005, 08:42 PM
righty - tighty
lefty - loosey

wanabe
01-04-2005, 09:46 PM
I have also had this happen before. I just block the blade with a 4x4 chunk of wood to keep it from spinning. Then use your breaker bar, and slide a 4 foot cheater over it. You should get a loud pop and it will come loose.

ChadA
01-04-2005, 09:50 PM
[QUOTE=65hoss]After the entire season you finally take the blades off? As stated before, change them more often will help to eliminate this problem. No grass cutter should go all season with the same dull blades. Its bad for the grass and takes away from your productivity.

When Did I say the I used it the entire season without changeing them. The mower Is only 3 months old and has only been used four times. I bought it for next season and want to put gator blades on it. Way to jump to conclusions though.

Duramax99
01-04-2005, 09:51 PM
Buy a thundergun

ChadA
01-04-2005, 09:54 PM
Thanks for the help. I have a 4' bar I can put on my breaker bar for some leverage.

HOOLIE
01-04-2005, 11:37 PM
On the rare occasion when I can't get a blade off, I just stop in at a dealer (I just drive around the back to where the mechanics are) and ask them to zap them with their impact wrench. Gas stations are good for this too, anyplace where air tools are used.

SOMM
01-04-2005, 11:51 PM
wanabe's block of wood is good, anti-seize or WD40, breaker bar and at least a reputable 6-point impact socket, and not a cheap 12-point. If torque doesnt wrench it loose, time to drop by the dealer or a local auto mechanic.

good question, btw !

65hoss
01-05-2005, 07:51 AM
[QUOTE=65hoss]After the entire season you finally take the blades off? As stated before, change them more often will help to eliminate this problem. No grass cutter should go all season with the same dull blades. Its bad for the grass and takes away from your productivity.

When Did I say the I used it the entire season without changeing them. The mower Is only 3 months old and has only been used four times. I bought it for next season and want to put gator blades on it. Way to jump to conclusions though.

Ok. :waving: Was assuming since your info says you have been in biz for 1 year and we just finished the season it much have meant you actually worked the mower this year.

A breaker bar or impact will usually do it. I had hit a hidden stump one time and it tightened the bolt big time. Impact would not do it. 6 foot long breaker wouldn't do it. A friend of mine owns a tool repair business. We took the spindle off and he took it to work. It took a huge 1" Ingersal Rand Impact at over 2000 psi to get it loose. What was interesting, it stripped no threads and hurt nothing. That spindle and bolt are still in it today with over 1000 hours on it.

all ferris
01-05-2005, 09:58 AM
Well, did you get those things off?

ChadA
01-05-2005, 03:00 PM
Still no luck. My dealer said to bring them in and he'll get them suckers off for me.