PDA

View Full Version : Domain Help!!!!

impactlandscaping
01-04-2005, 12:13 AM
I just tried to access my website for updating, etc..It turns out our registration was due on Dec. 20, 2004, and I didn't know. We were hacked in June 2004, and lost all our data previously saved. I had a tech try and recover all the files and data from the system.We recovered most data, and some email files as well. The problem was I could not remember my password for Register.Com to access and pay for the site renewal.I tried to acess it, but I had changed ISP's and email addresses as well, and their system kept kicking me around. I finally talked to a lady a few minutes ago, and she told me our name was registered with their Global Systems site, and someone from there would contact me in the morning. I went to the domain search feature at Register.Com, and typed in our site: impactlandscaping.com, it came up unavailable..so, I clicked on a link beside it, and it took me to a website brokering site. Now it seems someone wants me to pay a mini,um of $ 200.00 to get my name back???WTF???I don't know exactly what is going on here until tomorrow, but I'm really pissed and confused as to what happened to our site as well..Any web pros willing to help, I'm willing to listen..or call me at 304-376-5296 until 2AM, EST

Thanks,

Bill

tonygreek
01-04-2005, 08:50 AM
first, if you're concerned that your site content has disappeared, you shouldn't be. your .com registered name is exclusive from the content and in no way connected. just open up your ftp software or web publishing software and point it to the static IP address (ie 202.75.3456 whatever).

in looking at the registration data, it still shows you as the owner, which it should since ICANN (the domain name governing body) has a 30 day grace period for mistakes such as yours, or to prevent fraudulent activity. if you look at the registration info, you'll see it listed as "locked".

btw, it show's your domain having expired on 12/09. given this, you need to get with register.com immediately to resolve this prior to 1/09 or the domain is up for grabs.

good luck,
tony

tonygreek
01-05-2005, 03:12 PM
any resolution?

drodgers
01-06-2005, 08:27 AM
Domain hijacking is getting too common. I used to work for an isp and we would see names get grabbed up when they expired. Cyber squatters is what I call them. You see people do it with famous people's names or bands, etc. Hope it all works out for you.

tonygreek
01-06-2005, 08:45 AM
drodgers, ICANN has smoothed this problem through the 30 day cooling off period for all expired domains. as for squatting on trademarked names, people's names, etc., typically they don't actually make it to court anymore. ICANN has developed firm policies for legitimate use which has greatly helped. obviously the term "legitimate" can be subjective in the eye of the holder. ;)

impactlandscaping
01-14-2005, 11:10 PM
Tony, thanks for the info and help. I had it resolved on the 10th. Register told me there was still a period of 30 days after the grace period before risking losing it. Their fees have went up since a few years ago, it was 30$ for one year now. Any suggestions on where else to look for dot.com registering , and how to transfer it from Register.com as well?

tonygreek
01-15-2005, 12:10 PM
30 bucks for a domain registration??? yoooouch... we're all in the wrong line of work. ;)

all mine are through godaddy.com something in the line of 8 bucks a year and are very reputable (actually, an Inc. 500 member this year, somewhere high on the list so not a fly-by-nighter). they are great for domain registrations, but their webhosting is very secondary to them in terms of services.

tony