PDA

View Full Version : Wright Products (need input from owners)

ScCo
01-04-2005, 06:00 AM
Looking at the wright products at a local dealer and seeing testaments to how happy most of you are with your Wright products has sparked my interest in the company.

I have a few questions though that I haven't really been able to find answers to via the search feature, so I'm hoping that some of you will be kind enough to provide me with some information.

1. Does anyone know if the 36" sentar sport is supposed to be a floating deck like the original sentars? ....please say yes...in my area it is not uncommon to have 2 customers living next door to each other, where one has tifway bermuda, and the other has fescue/blue mix, so the ability to change cutting height relatively easily is a necessity. I have a feeling this (if anything) is what will prevent me from buying a stander (see next question), but i'm more than willing to take into consideration what stander owners have to say about the issue.

2. For those of you that own Standers, how long does it take you to make a cutting height adjustment from say 2.25" to 3.5" and maintain proper deck pitch?

3. How well does Wright's deck do in dealing with wet turf?

4. Do the Wright Machines stripe worth a hoot? (pictures would be great)

5. Is there anything in particular (good or bad) that you'd point out for me to pay attention to when I'm able to demo the Wright machines?

In general i'm just looking for input on all aspects of wright sentars and standers.

thanks for the space,

ScCo

P.S. If I'm slow to reply I apologize. I had a fire at my house last week and it's quite hectic around here right now with me trying to get everything under control.

stumper1620
01-04-2005, 06:43 AM
i can't say good or bad about wright, but, just wanted to let you know,
john deere changes height from 1.0 and up in about 2 seconds, i love my ztr 737, jd standers change just as easy, just wanted to let you know,
don't pass jd up without a look, i'm very impressed with what jd has to offer.
just my opinion
have a good day

lawnlubber
01-04-2005, 08:49 AM
I've used a 36" Wright stander for the last two seasons. It is a fine machine, extremely reliable, cuts fine under different conditions, stripes ok. Yes, it is a little bit of a pia to change cutting height (casters on wheels). Also mowing a slope horizontally can be challenging especially on wet grass. In fact I use a walk behind for those areas which are sloped or need a change of cutting height. But I love my stander. It is maybe twice as fast as the wb with no fatigue, it's actually fun to use. With double blades it mulches nicely in one pass, not much need to double mow or bag. It fits on the truck better. I can sometimes even save loading time by driving it a block or two so I don't have to move the truck. The only maintenance so far is the standard- filters fluids,belts,blades,tires. Many other operators pass up small, highly landscaped residentials because their ztr's don't fit on the lot. I'm able to focus on these profitably. My helper oversees the mowing operation with my occasional help. I take care of all the profitable extras like trimming the shrubs and laying mulch.

CharlieBingo
01-04-2005, 09:24 AM
If their Stander had a floating deck they would triple their sales!

logan
01-04-2005, 09:30 AM
I just bought my 36in stander with the bigger wheels in the back about a month ago. I love it. It has a higher top speed than my Great Dane Super Surfer 52". I like the floating deck on the ss better than the fixed deck on the stander. The blades are a little more difficult to change. I really can't tell you about the cut in wet grass yet, but in dry grass it is beautiful. We don't lay down stripes in our grass down here either, so I can't help there.

Itsgottobegreen
01-06-2005, 12:04 AM
1. I have seen the 36" sentar and drove a 52" sport. Both have the floating deck.

2. With a jungle jack and an impact gun 30 minutes if you want to keep the deck level.

3. I would say it handles just as well as most machine in the rain. Very well in wet grass.

4. yes I can't find the pictures of mine. You can still see strips on properties I cut once months later.
cgland has some nice shots of his standers. Hopefully he will post them.

5. How you stand on the machine when operating it. Don't lean into the pad unless going up hill. Biggest problem I see. Bend your needs a little also helps. Shift your weight into the hill when going sideways on a hill. Lean back when going down hill to place more weight on the rear wheels to provide down hill control. The shifting of your weight is the key to operating the stander. Many operators don't get this. Also a stander is very touchy which is why it is so responsive. Takes some getting use to.

Its best to demo a stander for at least 15 hours or so. It takes that long to learn the machine, get used to the machine and then push the machine to its limit. Then make your decision.

Feel free to ask me any questions. I know the wright inside and out. I own both the stander and sentar.

LawnScapers of Dayton
01-06-2005, 06:54 AM
I added a heavy rubber flap for stripping and that works well. I have pics but I can't upload them because I am currently on a crappy dialup connection.....

61" 23hp Stander....(for sale)

I will tell you this. I am down sizing to a 52" because of clumping problems I have had with the 61"...... I have not seen anyone complain about clumping with the 52's....

Derek

ScCo
01-06-2005, 12:13 PM
Thanks for the replies everyone.

Looks like the stander is ruled out for me simply because of cutting height adjustment time. I guess that's just one of the joys of being in the transition zone where we have pretty much every type of turf imagineable.

I'm gonna put some more research into the sentars and see what I can come up with on them and how well or how poorly they'd suit me.

Thanks again

ScCo