PDA

View Full Version : Referral Program?

ALarsh
01-04-2005, 07:58 AM
I was thinking about a referral program to get more jobs in the neighborhood. The main reason I would do this is because I will be limited to the 200 houses in the neighborhood to service until August of 2005. What if I would tell my current 6 customers that if they give 5 referrals that sign up for yearly lawn service, I will give them 1 month of free lawn service (limited to 4 cuts). The person signing up must state who ever gave them the referral. How does it sound?

o-so-n-so
01-04-2005, 08:58 AM
I think I would offer savings for each referral. That way the customer gets a reward for every referral that signs up. If they have to sign 4,5 or 6 before they benefit, might not be worth the hassle for your customers. Might offer a little discount for the new customer as well, like a sign up bonus or a %discount on any add on service.

bobbygedd
01-04-2005, 09:16 AM
i actually tried paying cash for referels. it seemed to have such a negative impact, and to this day i can't figure out why. i got ZERO referels from the cash referel program i offered. i don't know if your idea will work better

lawnlubber
01-04-2005, 09:22 AM
You and your work are the best advertising available. If you show up regularly, do good work, and look and act professional, you will find that people are interested in your work. Take a little time to talk to these people and you will find there is more work than you can handle. I have never needed to offer a discount to get referrals. Just ask for them. In neighborhoods that i've worked for a few years, I now do 5-10 places in one stop. When I get that many together I give them all a cheaper quote because I save so much time loading and driving.

Lux Lawn
01-04-2005, 11:05 AM
Five referrals for one month of free cutting seems like you are asking them for a lot .If you have to stay with in a 200 house radius,you might be better off giving them a free cut for every new customer they bring in and if they get to 5 then give them 2 free cuts but in that small area of houses it will not be easy.

walker-talker
01-04-2005, 11:25 AM
I offer 1 free cut for every referal. There are stipulations though. Must be on my route, must be signed up by May 15th, must be weekly service and must stay with me all year. The free cut will be the last cut of the season. I have been running all kinds of specials and offers to get new business. I have only had a couple people take adavantage of them. I am offering 3 free cuts for all new customers this year. Last year I offered free winterizing with yearly service....it might of drawn some of them in orginally, but none actually mentioned it though.

Lux Lawn
01-04-2005, 11:28 AM
Matt --How are you giving away the 3 free cuts this year?

walker-talker
01-04-2005, 11:32 AM
sign up weekly service by May 15th and you will get the last 3 cuts for free......that is if you stay with me all season. Hopefully I will be able to sell some extras to absorb the some cost. This will also be for new customers only.

Lux Lawn
01-04-2005, 11:39 AM
sign up weekly service by May 15th and you will get the last 3 cuts for free......that is if you stay with me all season. Hopefully I will be able to sell some extras to absorb the some cost. This will also be for new customers only.
Last year I put on my flyer free fall aeration or free fall fertilizer to make them stick around all year.Don't want to give someting away free right away and then have them cancel on you.
How late does your season go?

Lux Lawn
Last year I put on my flyer free fall aeration or free fall fertilizer to make them stick around all year.Don't want to give someting away free right away and then have them cancel on you.

Lux Lawn

rodfather
01-04-2005, 12:00 PM
My referral program is real simple.

I send out a letter (with one of my business cards and one of our company brochures) with it to all our clients in March of each year asking them basically if they know of anyone who could utilize our services. For every customer they send to us, they get a free mowing. AND, the new customer gets a free mowing as well. That's all there is to it and it has worked for 11 years now.

Lux Lawn
01-04-2005, 12:52 PM
Last year was the first year that I did a referral program and I offered $20 for each customer that brought me a new customer for Lawn Maintenance/Snowplowing.